2007 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 082016

While driving, if the vehicle hits a small bump, the front end shakes violently back and forth until I am able to stop the vehicle. This problem is widespread and can be found on the internet as the "Jeep death wobble". we've spent $900 to have this fixed and have been to 2 different garages to have it fixed and the mechanics can't find anything more that is wrong and claim it's a design flaw in the vehicle.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Jun 222015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 50-70 mph, the vehicle violently shook and experienced a loss of steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering stabilizer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 29,985. Updated 02/10/16 the consumer went to another repair shop, where he was informed the upper and lower ball joints needed to be replaced. Updated 04/05/16.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Dec 082015

• 1,111,110 miles
I bought a used 2007 Jeep Wrangler 2 dr, 4X4 soft top, in Oct 20014. It had 82,000 miles. I had no previous buying on this model. I drive mostly highway miles in North East Ohio. I drive almost 90 miles, round trip, per work week. I noticed a slight bounce in the front end, suspension during highway posted speeds of 65 miles per hour. I changed the the shocks 4 ea.after my front straight axial began to bounce up and down, well the bounce was worse, after a short period of trying to handle road condition, even changing route, to avoid the bounce, at highway speed 60 miles and under, it was cold out 40 degrees, heavy traffic christmas time, rush hour, my Jeep went into a radical bounce called " death wobble " as noted in the Jeep world, not noted by Jeep, I had three, in the row, one worse, than the one before. The bouncing caused a transmission cooling line to dis-large, from a sited coupling, to the engine radiater. The lose of 4 quarts of transmission fluid to spill on the 5 lane highway. I noticed a lose in speed, smoke and RPM advance, from 1800 to 4000 rpms in less than a minute. Now I had to navigate my way through 4 lanes of heavy 60 miles to 75 mile an hour traffic, with out getting hit. Within two miles I managed to pull over to the right shoulder. I had a flashlight, I left the engine running, because it was getting dark out, I went up front and looked at the front end and saw transmission fluid. I shut off the engine, and called for a tow. 2 hours later, plus $77 dollars, I went home. I live on a budget. I wrote Jeep, but without a word, from them. So I looked at my owners manual, and saw nothing about changing shocks, coil springs at miles maintenance service intervals. I noticed your name, so I contacted you for help. Luckily I wasn't hit or worse. I'm 62 years young, and have driving experience. I hope this helps.

- Garrettsville, OH, USA

Oct 192015

Going 55 to 60 mph the Jeep stared to go into a death wobble. I had to make an emergency move into the break down lane. On I 95 in augusta Maine

- Augusta, ME, USA

May 152015

When driving at about 50 mph right front tire hit a pothole repair/bump. This threw my front end into major osscillation/wobble. I had to slow down to 35 before it would stop. Since that first time it has progressively gotten worse. Now it's happening once a day and it is very dangerous when at highway speeds and in traffic. I have replaced shocks and ball joints which hasnt worked. Actually gotten worse.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Sep 102012

Hit a slight bump at highway speeds and the Jeep suddenly started shacking violently. This is also commonly known as the "death wobble". I had no control over my vehicle and had to swerve over and stop, causing traffic behind me to have to react suddenly.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Sep 012015

I was driving on the highway, I hit a small bump on my rear wheel and all of a sudden my whole vehicle had stared to shake vigorously including the steering wheel I had to move of the road and come to a complete stop in order for the wheel to stop shaking

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 232015

I have had the "death wobble" since I purchased my Jeep. This happened on both stock suspension and modified suspension and so far, it has happened easily well over 160 times over the course of this last year (I lost count as it happens fequently). I've dished out well over $1,000 to fix (so far), have had two accidents (Nov. 2, 2014 and Apr. 14, 2015, both minor with no police reports made either time) as a direct result of this, countless near misses, many a drink spilled on the floor board or myself then the floor thanks to either the gut-wrenching wobble itself, or having to slam on the breaks. Even more unsafe, is that everytime it happens, the only way to regain control of the vehicle is to stop immediately or risk further damage and/or losing control. This means having to slam on the breaks many times at highway speeds and hope that 1.) I'm actually driving as my fiancÉ wouldn't have the strength to keep control 2.) I maintain enough control to guide the Jeep to an emergency lane so I can stop safely. 3.) hope that other drivers are paying attention and don't hit me. This is rediculous, and the more it happens, the less safe I feel, and the more risk that myself and my family are placed in. Jeep has a typical responses of, "we don't know what's wrong.", "there's nothing we can do.", "we are aware of the problem, but cannot offer a remidy.", or "let's replace this. Sorry it didn't help. Let's try this. Yes, we understand it didn't work, but we still had to replace it, so you still have to pay." Plain rediculous, and what's more concerning is that this is a known problem that they refuse to address it. Please help!

- Elkton , FL, USA

Jan 162015

Experienced the Jeep death wobble while travelling at 70 mph on a highway. I thought that I had experienced a blow out and the tire was moving from side to side on the rim. This was extremely violent. After I got the vehicle stopped I inspected it for damage and could not find any obvious problems. This happened five more times on that trip. I took the car to a mechanic that found nothing wrong. Had the tires rotated and balanced. They were in balance. Started researching the problem and found out about the death wobble. Found the steering damper was loose and tightened it. Helped a little but problem still occurs. Taking it to a dealer next to have the damping and alignment components replaced. I am the original owner and the vehicle is stock.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Jun 012013

I was driving on highway when hitting 65mph and Jeep started to shake uncontrollably. I would have to stop and pull over to a lower speed for it to stop. But if I was in left lane and it started I couldn't swing to breakdown lane so would have to stop immediately in traffic. Very unsafe but better than causing accident. I replaced the steering stabilizer last summer with no relief. Why is Jeep not handling this " why are people like us spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle just to have cause life threatening issues I have many things and read up on this death wobble of Jeep. Is it something I can get lawyers involved "

- Hudson, NH, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 50 mph over uneven pavement, the vehicle became uncontrollable. The wheels and steering wheel started to wobble. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the front stabilizer link failed and needed to be replaced. The stabilizer link and bolts that secured the links were replaced, however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 212007

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

We have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. Every time we hit a pothole or bump in the road, the car does this shake and you lose control. This has happened since we bought the vehicle in 2007 at least 1 time a week. I am luck I have not crashed yet.

- Capistrano Beach, CA, USA

Feb 142015

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle uncontrollably veered left to right. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the suspension, the bracket damper, the steering damper, the nut hex flank, the bolt hex flank, the bar front, the steering adjuster, and the tie rod drags needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,142.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Sep 302014

My vehicle developed a horrible wobble in the steering and suspension while driving at about 60 mph on the highway. I slowed down and the wobble stopped but persisted whenever I went approximately 60 mph. I took the vehicle to the dealership, they are very aware of the Jeep death wobble however the cost of repairs is mine to bear. This could cause a significant accident, yet Jeep is ignoring repairing this. To this day it is still not fixed 100%.

- Larkspur, CO, USA

Jan 252015

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph over a pot hole, the vehicle wobbled and vibrated out of control. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Derby, CT, USA

Sep 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When driving and vehicle hit a bump with right tire vehicle would begin violently shaking until slowed down to 15 mph. Took to repair shop who diagnosed it with death wobble and replaced lower drag link and installed new tires. No issues so far. Also both floorboards get wet when it rains.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Dec 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

The front end began to shake violently after hitting an uneven road on a hill/curve. The shaking would not stop until I hit the brakes. This occurred three times in December of 2014. A mechanic said the steering stabilizer and front ball joints needed to be replaced and the problem was common with Jeep, known as the "death wobble".

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 082015

I have been experiencing an extreme shaking while operating the vehicle. I occurs very randomly and comes on with out notice. It occurs on the highway as well Suburban streets and at any speed. I read an article from 08' from another person that had the same issue. It sounded like nothing was done from this organization and the vehicle maker. This is very unsafe situation for owners of this vehicle and is a safety hazard for others on the road. Please respond to this message and let me know if something can and will be done.

- Beaumont , CA, USA

Dec 012014

Death wobble.

- Boston, VA, USA

Nov 022014

We have had this incident many times before, referred to as the 'death wobble', had the steering pin replaced twice, and new tires, alignment and was fine for 3 months and yesterday it happened again, hit a bump in the road going 45 mph and Jeep just started rocking and jumping all over the road, had to pull off the road the make it stop. When are you people going to do something about this"???? when someone gets killed????? this is so dangerous and I cannot believe that this has not been recalled, so many people have this and are very upset, has this been looked into???" if you are for safety than this would have been looked into a long time ago!!!!!

- Tavernier, FL, USA