2008 Jeep Wrangler accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Jan 072015

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility) and 16V352000 (air bags). The part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cayey, PR, USA

May 302016

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 35 mph, the horn, wipers, and washer fluid operated independently. The contact turned the vehicle off and removed the key from the ignition, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the controller for the front windshield wiper needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was then towed to another independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear windshield wiper was disconnected and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- York Town, VA, USA

Jun 242016

My 2008 Jeep Wrangler. 3.8L, has had a tipm issue for years, I ve had it to the dealer and they could not find the issue, but through research I have seen that many people have had the same issues, horn blowing and wont stop, washer and wipers come on and wont stop until battery is disconnected, door lock work when they want to, A/C blower works when it wants to..all of which return to normal after disconnecting the battery and then re-connecting, at least temporarily...but every time I drive it I worry about it going it shut off completely on me going 70mph on a busy freeway, almost caused an accident, again after disconnecting the battery(on the side of a very busy freeway)it returned to normal and I drove it straight to the dealer again..Chrysler knows this is an issue, I will pay to have it replaced myself ($1200)and hope that's the whole issue, but this issue is much larger if you watch you tube videos and read the Jeep forums...this will cause accidents or worse.....Chrysler should recall these as they have others.....

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 012016

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Nov 132015

Without warning... horn starts blowing, windshield washer comes on, lights flash, door locks won't work, key switch off doesn't stop the problem, so far have able to pull off the road and open the hood to disconnect the battery. Reconnecting the battery sometimes works but the heater/ac stops working... this situation is a real road hazard!!! after awhile things work ok until it repeats. Very dangerous car to be on the road. Jeep service people respond by saying that that they find nothing wrong! well sure, the event is over when we are able to bring the vehicle in to be "fixed"! basis for a class action suit for sure! vehicle has been in motion on the highway and stationary when this has happened.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Sep 102014

September of 2014 last year I noticed the airbag malfunction light come on. I called my local Jeep Chrysler dealer and left a few messages about recalls and if this meant a problem with my airbags. No one ever called me back after 2 weeks of waiting the airbag malfunction light went off and it would stay off for weeks and mysteriously come on periodically. So after a few months go by in December of 2014 I was at a supermarket parking lot with my wife and three children when we pulled into a parking space amd thw horn, lights, wipers and dash lit up. I quickly disconnected the neg battery and reconnected it two or three times and it stoppped. I looked online for similar problems and disconmected the horn amp via fusebox. Jumpstart to Feb 2015 while on the highway the horn blares and wipers go off but the vehicle turns off and I glided to the breakdown lane while other cars avoided me. 5/27/2015 my wife opened the Jeep door and it triggered the wipers, dash lights and wiper fluid to spray. When you're on a fixed income bringing your vehicle in for repairs is not always feasable. I took the Jeep to autozone free diagnostic and got a code U0141. After reading the similar stories we're going into the dealership for repairs.

- College Park, GA, USA

Jan 162015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Leaving a parking lot all my electrical components began going haywire (wipers came on, wiper fluid started spraying, radio turned on and off, heat turned on and off, horn was blaring, door locks locking/unlocking at random). I removed the keys and the electrical failure continued. I began to smell burning plastic and noticed smoke/flames coming out from under the hood on the passenger side of the vehicle. After opening the engine compartment the fuse box was engulfed in flames. I was able to put the fire out with a fountain drink and a few bottles of water from bystanders. The wiring harness continued to smolder until the battery cable was removed. It is now in the shop to be repaired and will cost me 500 dollars out of pocket for my deductible. Thankfully no one was injured or killed and the vehicle wasn't a complete loss. This car also has no after market modifications.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Jan 102015

On 4 occasions, my horn and windshield wiper have spontaneously activated. On the most recent occurrence, we were driving at night and the headlights turned off for several seconds. This happened at highway speed but luckily my wife was able to cycle the headlight switch and power returned to the headlights.

- Watkinsville, GA, USA

Dec 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2008 Jeep Wrangler sahara trail rated horn, locks, wiper fluid will come on while driving down the road for no apparent reason, causing other drivers to stop or look around due to the horn going off and the driver of the Jeep cannot see due to the water being sprayed all over the windshield unexpectedly. The only way to stop this is to pull over and pull the fuses or battery terminals once you get home. This is a serious safety issue.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jul 312013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

In reference to tipm recall. While driving, the horn will blow nonstop, as well as windshield wipers engage, fluid sprays nonstop onto windshield, A/C will not blow, engine has shut off spontaneously which caused a truck to lightly bump me in an intersection. Selling dealership (hebert's town and country shreveport, la) will not fix.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Jul 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving home after work at night on the interstate, approx. 75mph, the windshield washer and wipers come on and the horn starts blowing continuously and wont stop, I pulled off on the closest freeway exit and pulled off the road and shut off the engine, but even with removing the key from the ignition switch it continued to run with the washers, wipers and horn going....after several attempts turning the ignition switch on and off the motor finally stopped running but the washers, wipers and horn continued until I disconnected the battery...after reconnecting the battery everything went back to normal and functioned normally for several months, but recently has started acting like its possessed again...took it to the local dealer(chapmen Dodge and they were unable to find any issue even after I told them it sounds like the tipm, and from what I have researched this is an ongoing issue with Chrysler, they said they would replace it for $1000 but it may not be the problem.....

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 062013

While driving approx. 55 mph down paved road Jeep suddenly began constant horn honk, wipers started going, every dash light came on(ABS, engine, airbag, etc). This continued for about 1 minute then stopped. We turned around to go back home and about 2 minutes later same thing began again. The second time, along with above symptoms, we began to lose power and were unable to accelerate to maintain speed. We pulled off to the side of the road and turned key off. Horn, and wipers kept going. Then the windshield wiper sprayers started spraying continuously. We were unable to start Jeep at this time. This went on for about 3 minutes and finally stopped. Jeep then started and we were able to drive home.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Dec 182012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving at night, the horn, front wipers, washers, rear wipers, and reverse lights all came on without warning. Pulled to side of road and turned off car but engine did not turn off. Opened hood and hit top of T.I.P.M. (totally integrated power module). Horn, wipers, washers, and engine stopped. This is a common problem with 2007-2009 Wrangler that Jeep fails to accept. It is unsafe because you cannot stop the engine or see where you are going when the washer fluid starts running. This is the 3rd time in 2 years this has done this.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA