2008 Jeep Wrangler brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 142016

Wrangler

Passenger side front brake line worn and eroded from tire on right turns.

- Alexandria, MN, USA

Jan 162016

Wrangler

While driving about 50 mph violent shaking of entire vehicle. This has happened twice. It is brake or stability control related. Have to come to a complete stop and start again for shaking to stop. Also have had to change both front calipers due to overheat damage. The overheat is a result of brakes applied by stability control or traction control when there is no need for either.

- Ludowici, GA, USA

Sep 102015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the brake pedal was slow to respond and the slippery road warning light flashed while driving during inclement weather. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was applied but failed to respond causing the contact to crash into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 10V236000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 08V202000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was towed to an unknown location and was not diagnosed or repaired.. the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Moundsville, WV, USA

Aug 192015

Wrangler

I was on an on-ramp entering a highway. When I tried to slow down to merge with traffic, my brakes did not work. The pedal went all the way to the floor and would not stop or even slow down the Jeep. I could not stop at all my Jeep and ran into the car in front of me. I inspected my Jeep and found that the right front brake line had come apart. The internal fitting was rusted and the rubber coating appeared to be damaged/burned. This is factory brakes, no modifications have ever been made to any part of this Jeep. The dealership mechanic initally told me that the front drivers side was on the verge of coming apart also, then refused to speak to me afterwards. I have a bumper to bumper warranty which specifically lists all of these parts as covered. Chrysler then confiscated my vehicle, refused to make any repairs claiming they are "inspecting it for safety" for the next five business days. I do not consent to them taking my vehicle for this period of time. They refused to provide me with a rental car during this five business days of their so-called safety inspection. I have no idea what they are doing with my Jeep and why they won't return it to me. Customer service has been horrible and no one will give me any information about my Jeep or what's going on with it other than it's been "upgraded" to a different level of management. I believe they are attempting to cover up a factory/manufacturing caused defect due to the way they are handling this situation and the refusal to discuss the Jeep with me.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Feb 072012

Wrangler

Brakes apply them self different wheels at different times at different speeds wheels get hot, smoke and wears brake shoes out, damages rotors. When you hit gas the brakes apply. This is dangerous if another vehicle is behind you when the bakes apply then you will be hit in the back.can not find anythying wrong when we take it in to be checked. They apply at anytime you never know when.

- Clintwood, VA, USA

Apr 242015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2 weeks ago my front passenger brake caliper seized while driving. It smoked and was unsafe to drive as I lost the ability to steer safely. I had to replace the caliper, pads and resurface the rotor. Yesterday my rear driver-side caliper failed while driving locally. I only have 38K miles on this Jeep and do not drive off-road. Jeep is pristine, well maintained and used sparingly. Searching NHTSA database I saw several similar reports and all reported problems involved 2008 Jeep Wrangler, however no recall or tsb"!? how many reports does NHTSA need to connect the dots here" I'm so thankful my daughter wasn't driving, as she would not have been able to recover the vehicle during the first incident. I have been driving for 37 years & never had a vehicle have a single caliper failure and now it's happened twice within two weeks on the same vehicle. There are less than 3K miles driven on these brake pads.

- Tom's River, NJ, USA

Feb 022015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at approximately 60 mph after driving over a bump or depressing the brake pedal, the front end shook uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering dampener failed. The tires were rotated and balanced, but failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Warwick , RI, USA

Mar 012015

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was traveling on a busy highway at a speed of 65 miles per hour when out of the blue the Jeep started to shake uncontrollably. To make matters worse, I had a semi right behind me hauling a gas tanker. Fortunately for me I was traveling in the speed lane which is adjacent to the emergency run off the lane. I let my foot of the gas and rolled/trembling off the highway into the emg lane till I came to a complete stop. After catching my breath and my heart. I proceeded to get out of the car to check and see if there was something wrong with the front end axle. I did not see anything problem so got back in the Jeep and drove off. I drove about another 50 miles that night and was not able to duplicate the problem at any speed. So a couple of days later I took the Jeep in to see my service advisor at planet Dodge in doral, fl. After a brief description of the symptoms and what happened, the service advisor calmly said it's a common problem called "the death wobble". so I am now having to drop off this Jeep in order to get a diagnosis and have the problem repaired. I hope it never happens to anyone; especially my mother who often drives the Jeep. This is a very very dangerous condition which will eventually cause accident and may even cause fatalities. There needs to be a class action suit filed against the manufacturer. Or at the very least a recall.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Mar 012015

- Homestead, FL, USA

Dec 182014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While parking my Jeep in a parking garage, the front brake line snapped during a turn. The broken line occurred where it connects to the driver's side tire from the engine. I lost all ability to brake and lost all brake fluid. Only emergency brake would work. Had to have it towed to dealer for costly repair to include replacing front brake pads because brake fluid ruined them. Very lucky I was in a parking garage and not on a major road driving at higher speed.

- Upper Marlboro , MD, USA

May 012014

Wrangler

I first noticed prior to May 2014 that my cruise control had quit working but just figured the control had gone out. Then about May 2014 the airbag, stability control and ABS lights came on while I was driving and have been on since then. The Jeep does still chime notifying me of the issue. After researching the problem I've come to conclusion its the clockspring, which has been recalled/warranty extended on several model year Wrangler. I have a hard time believing understanding why this hasn't been extended to additional model years. Is Jeep waiting on xx number deaths and injuries to occur due to a faulty part related vehicle safety?

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Aug 212014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Parking brake lever spring broke, vehicle popped out of first gear while parked. It then rolled over a block down the street and crashed into another parked car. Luckily all the kids in the neighborhood had already boarded the school bus, as it rolled through the bus stop!

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 142014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes failed. The contact discovered that there was brake fluid leaking from under the passenger's side of the hood. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated the brake hose was worn from rubbing against the shocks and needed to be replaced. In addition, the contact stated that the driver's side brakes had also fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of this failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Glenhead, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Wrangler

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited X with 42,000 miles. The vehicle has been babied except for one off-road weekend last fall. The death wobble just started about two months ago when applying brakes over 55 mph. Mostly front-end wobble. It happened sporadically and only at speeds around 60 mph. I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the rotors. Just a few days later, the wobble returned, but much worse, and with no braking applied. The whole car violently shook. I returned the vehicle back to my mechanic. He did some research and eventually installed a new steering damper, a bigger one than the original part. I am hopeful the problem will be fixed. In researching this matter and reviewing the various blogs, including this site, I cannot believe that Chrysler Jeep is not doing anything about it. While there has been no reports of death, that is just fortuitous. Something needs to be done about it. Not a coincidence that so many operators are experiencing the same problem with the same model.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jul 262013

Wrangler 6-cyl

During state vehicle inspection local garage discovered that the front driver's side brake line had been worn through from the front tire rubbing on it when wheels turned to the left. Garage suggested checking with Jeep dealership to see if a recall was in affect. Took vehicle to Jeep dealership where it was purchased and service manager said no recall was in affect however Jeep had published a service bulletin for this issue and re-designed the brake lines affected. The service manager said the issue was from road moisture/debris seeping through the rubber boots covering the brake line fittings which caused excess corrosion to build within the rubber boots triggering the boots to "swell" causing the contact with the tire. There was an inference made by the service manager that the vehicle's tires may have attributed to this from their tread design however the tire size matches the manufacturer specs on the label inside the door jam. Appears to be a faulty design of the original manufacturer brake lines.

- Portland, ME, USA

May 282013

Wrangler 6-cyl

'08 Jeep Wrangler sahara displays truly alarming wheel vibration under light braking when descending from altitude. Altitude is usually around 10,000 feet, grade is usually 6-7% and speed 55-65mph. To-date I have only replicated this problem at altitude (kings canyon/sequoia in ca and in the rockies on the I70 in co to name a couple of incidents) so it"S unlikely to be the notorious "Jeep death wobble, " though it may be a related issue. I?M wondering whether the viscosity of the brake fluid may be a factor" Jeep referred me to a dealer but I don't want an opinion from a repair shop, I want (and deserve) an explanation from "the manufacturer" of the vehicle as to why their vehicle is suddenly so difficult to control under braking.

- Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

May 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When I arrived home and was in the car in my driveway, I set the emergency brake. Something snapped, after which the brake clearly ceased to function (I could not set it). Fortunately this did not happen in a situation when I actually needed to use the emergency brake, but I have never had this happen with any vehicle I ever owned.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 232013

Wrangler

While parked on a slight incline the hand brake was set. The vehicle started to roll forward, I put the vehicle in gear and reset the hand brake more firmly only to hear a snap and the handle had zero resistance. The spring broke internally. I had the vehicle in gear and engine off so it did not roll forward any more, but looking online have discovered this is a very common problem and if the hand brake is need may easily fail - it did not take a hard pull to break the spring. My concern is the use in an emergency situation or very steep inclines where the hand brake may be required.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jun 042012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Rattling noise under the body-turned out the weld on the heat shield nneded to be rewelded brake lines were being rubbed through by the tires-new brake lines had been updated to steel and route close to the body instead of rubber ones that route close to the tire "hot oil" light comes on. Dealership said to add an additional transmission cooler as the factory one is insufficient. Tmps low tire light and sentry key light come on and off together repeatedly. In park the lights would flash, honr honks, windshield wipers front in back would turn on and srpay fluid, clicking noise and burning smell from fuse box, fan and accessories would run without being turned on. These would occur when the vehicle was started or when a door would be opened even with no key in the ignition. Dealership said tipm was going out. I found this is a very common problem. All of these issues are safety hazards and through simle research have found a common problem for jk Wrangler.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Apr 122012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Grafton, WV, USA