2008 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Jul 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Since I purchased this Jeep, it intermittently will not start--typically in warm weather. We replaced the ground on the battery, purchased new battery, starter, neutral safety switch and all transmission sensors. Still, it will not start in warm weather. We literally have to wait until the outside temperature cools, then the Jeep will start. I researched the issue on-line and found many consumer references to this problem for this vehicle--commonly referred to as "the Jeep flu." Many report either the neutral safety switch or the tipm is the issue. Many references complain that Chrysler is fully aware of the problem--tipms on back order--but they are silent. This Jeep has stranded us many times--which can also cause significant harm for consumers. Chrysler should acknowledge this problem and provide a fix!

- Nipomo, CA, USA

Mar 202015

Wrangler

On my 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying." Right hand vehicles have been recalled but not the left like I drive.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Mar 192015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

This Jeep has been nothing but a issue. Have been to shops for a year. Check engine light wont stay off, wheels shake at certain speeds, over heats, radiator issues, you name it. The dealer would not cover anything and went out of business shortly after. This Jeep is a lemon. There has to be recalls on this. Jeep is currently at garage again and they are saying possible computer issues again maybe 02 yada. Came out of grocery store the other night and the Jeep would not start. Not the battery. Again the garage called and said it may be a electrical issue with the security of the vehicle. Just had new plugs and wires installed. This is absurd and there should be recalls on these Jeep. There is definitely safety concerns!!!!!!!! haven't been able to get the engine light off as previously stated and thus still cant get a inspection going on a year! someone please help!!!

- Warrensburg, NY, USA

Jun 062014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

In May 2014 I purchases a used Jeep from a dealer in kernersville, nc and experienced issues with the vehicle the dealership claims are manufacture issues: -lighting: We have had to replace the taillight bulbs on both sides twice since purchase (less than a year ago). These lights constantly hold water and we have to empty them repeatedly and the water never seems to empty completely. These lights also seem to be affected by wiring as they do not always illuminate despite an effective bulb. We took it in for repairs under our purchased warranty and the dealership states there is water damage due to insufficient wire protection. This is very concerning as water is an excellent conductor of electricity. Regardless of the used condition of the car I see no reason why this should be the case as wiring seems very much like a manufacture only responsibility. -wheels: The vehicle was purchased with all original wheels (not tires) and the valve stems on each wheel have disintegrated completely and crumbled apart. We realized this when the low air light came on and we went to fill the tires this issue seems to effect how well the tires can hold air. -speedometer: Originally when we purchased the vehicle the speedometer was off by about 10mph (we did not know this until driving two separate cars and thinking "hmm is the other driver really speeding that much?" call one another on the phone and determined the Subaru would drive 60mph and see what speed the Jeep claimed to be driving when matched. We had this issue "fixed" about two weeks ago and now it is even worse. Upon doing the same speed test the Jeep was now 12mph over what it should be. Other issues non-resolved by dealership: Rattling sound near clutch, less than awesome braking, and a tire light that will not go off no matter what actions are taken.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jan 162015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Leaving a parking lot all my electrical components began going haywire (wipers came on, wiper fluid started spraying, radio turned on and off, heat turned on and off, horn was blaring, door locks locking/unlocking at random). I removed the keys and the electrical failure continued. I began to smell burning plastic and noticed smoke/flames coming out from under the hood on the passenger side of the vehicle. After opening the engine compartment the fuse box was engulfed in flames. I was able to put the fire out with a fountain drink and a few bottles of water from bystanders. The wiring harness continued to smolder until the battery cable was removed. It is now in the shop to be repaired and will cost me 500 dollars out of pocket for my deductible. Thankfully no one was injured or killed and the vehicle wasn't a complete loss. This car also has no after market modifications.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Jan 102015

Wrangler

On 4 occasions, my horn and windshield wiper have spontaneously activated. On the most recent occurrence, we were driving at night and the headlights turned off for several seconds. This happened at highway speed but luckily my wife was able to cycle the headlight switch and power returned to the headlights.

- Watkinsville, GA, USA

Dec 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2008 Jeep Wrangler sahara trail rated horn, locks, wiper fluid will come on while driving down the road for no apparent reason, causing other drivers to stop or look around due to the horn going off and the driver of the Jeep cannot see due to the water being sprayed all over the windshield unexpectedly. The only way to stop this is to pull over and pull the fuses or battery terminals once you get home. This is a serious safety issue.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

May 072014

Wrangler

The airbag indicator light on the instrument cluster illuminated. The obdii code reader validated the presence of a airbag system fault. Apparently a "clock spring" in the steering wheel fails and causes faults in the airbag system.the Jeep dealer says 2007 "clock spring" is covered under recall but 2008 "clock spring is not covered under recall. I believe that emergency restraint systems are covered under all circumstances for a certain amount of years of date of manufacture.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Wrangler

My Jeep was missing and before it caught fire it started lunging real bad I stop the Jeep and got out because I heard crackling and I looked and saw it was on fire. I called the fire department and it burned completely.

- Deberry, TX, USA

Dec 172014

Wrangler 6-cyl

After leaving the gym on my lunch break I took (thank god) the not so heavy traffic road to get back to work. My Jeep cut off on me while driving. I had to pull over. Again my wipers start going and the lights come on and the horn won't stop blaring so I had to open the hood and tap on the fuse box lid. After the 5th attempt the car decided to come on. I do not feel safe driving my vehicle if I am right next to the emergency lane. This has to stop and should be a recall. I have a child and this is very not safe. The same incident happened to me last week coming down a busy street. Again blessed I was near the driveway of a business I did not get into an accident and pulled over waiting for my Jeep to decide when it wanted to start again. Why is this not a recall? I took my Jeep several months back to the dealer and was without transportation for 2 weeks before they got to looking at it and stated they could not find the problem and sent it back home to me. Please investigate this issue as I am not the only person this has been happening to.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 152014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Jeep Wrangler still acts up with electronics. After picking up some grocery as I open my passenger door my horn, both wipers, washer fluid spraying out, and lights started going haywire. Everything turned on all at once. I jumped in and tried starting it up maybe rest what ever short my be experiencing, I was able to start it but continue to go haywire as I turned off the ignition, it continue to run. I jumped out to pop the hood and pulled a fuse. The engine stopped and car stopped going haywire. I waited about 10 mins before replacing the fuse. Jeep Wrangler still honks horn (beep) and wipers shift a little in the morning when I open the driver door. Should I be concern that this malfunction will cause a fire or possible harm?

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 312014

Wrangler

While driving at night car went berserk lights started flashing, horn continuous sounding, wipers both front and back continue to stay on while shooting washer fluid. As tried to accelerate to get off the freeway I experience lost of power and steering. I was able to make it to the side of the freeway and turned the ignition off and on several times hoping to rest the problem, but only continue for about 30 mins and then stop.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 062014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving, the airbag light started flashing and an audible chime went off each time the light flashed. The light and chime would appear about every 5 minutes. I took my vehicle in for service and found out that the problem was the airbag clock spring. I also found out that there has been a recall on RHD vehicles of this same model for the airbag clock spring. After researching the problem, I found out that there have been numerous reports of this problem for lhd vehicles with no recall. Are they only recalling the RHD vehicles because majority of them are driven by government employees, and they expect everyone else to pay $600 to have this problem fixed?

- Marshall, TX, USA

Jul 312013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

In reference to tipm recall. While driving, the horn will blow nonstop, as well as windshield wipers engage, fluid sprays nonstop onto windshield, A/C will not blow, engine has shut off spontaneously which caused a truck to lightly bump me in an intersection. Selling dealership (hebert's town and country shreveport, la) will not fix. youtu.be/ryjxvng4C8I.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Jun 102014

Wrangler

First incident occurred when I put the Jeep in reverse; the horn blew until it was taken out of reverse. The wipers came on and stayed on for the whole trip into work (1 hour) the windshield washer motor also ran. Engine light and airbag light came on. Since that time there are intermittent occurrences of doors locking and unlocking on their own. Wipers and washer turn on by themselves, headlights both went out in July horn wouldn't shut off, then the doors wouldn't unlock and when they did the wipers turned on. Every couple of weeks the Jeep would lose power and stall. I have asked several ase certified mechanics their opinion and all say the same...tcim

- Canaan, NH, USA

Oct 222014

Wrangler

My 08 Jeep Wrangler only has 64.000 miles on it and my son drives it, the horn and wipers would go off at random, I am just glad he was not on the interstate when this happened, that could cause anyone to wreck I took it to the dealer and the tipm was bad, I have looked into this and found out this is a problem part with this model, this is a major safety problem and I do not understand why this part has not been recalled. If there is anything you can do please let me know.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Oct 142014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I was dropping my kids off at school and my car went crazy my horn went off, alarm went off and windshield wipers both front and back spraying the fluid all over people not on my windows. I took my keys out of the car and it continued. The principle wandered why I was honking at the other cars and spraying the kids it not only was embarrassing but the fluid could of easily got in kids eyes.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Oct 052010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When trying to start vehicle the Jeep will not start. Sometimes I have to put it in neutral to get it to start, sometimes I have to remove the key or push the shifter (automatic) into park. This has been an on going problem with my Jeep, and I could not replicate it at the dealer. The dealer replaced the starter and battery which I told them was not the problem.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Feb 012013

Wrangler

While driving at highway speed, the electrical systems of the Jeep started going crazy. Windshield wipers intermittently turned on (sunny and dry at time), washer fluid started spraying continuously, horn honed repeatedly at a low tone, door locks locked/unlocked repeatedly and ac system turned of. Stopped vehicle at highway shoulder and this continued even when engine turned off. Disconnected battery. Waited 1 minute, reconnected battery, and everything seemed fine. Drove another 5 minutes and same symptoms started again and lasted until I reached a gas station. Power washer fluid completely drained. I have been told this is the tpim of the Jeep Wrangler causing this problem. Not sure if it is linked to a start/stop condition the vehicle has- turn over key in ignition and all power is on but engine will not crank. Disengage key, try again, sometimes will start, sometimes will take a third or fourth time. Have brought this to the attention of the Chrysler dealership I purchased the vehicle at in March 2008. They cannot determine a cause. Brought to a independent mechanic. He indicated this would be a tpim malfunction and should be replaced. 2007 Jeep Wrangler had a recall for the tpim failure. I see there is litigation ongoing for other Chrysler products with tpim issues. 2008 Jeep Wrangler appear to have far and away more issues than other new jk Jeep Wrangler...

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 302009

Wrangler

Horn stopped working after about a year after purchase of new Wrangler. Bad clock springs are all over Jeep forums. Would like to have a horn, but do not want to spend many dollars for same part that will again fail. Needs to be upgraded! no horn for 5-years. Please help.

- Tulare, CA, USA