2008 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Sep 062013

While driving approx. 55 mph down paved road Jeep suddenly began constant horn honk, wipers started going, every dash light came on(ABS, engine, airbag, etc). This continued for about 1 minute then stopped. We turned around to go back home and about 2 minutes later same thing began again. The second time, along with above symptoms, we began to lose power and were unable to accelerate to maintain speed. We pulled off to the side of the road and turned key off. Horn, and wipers kept going. Then the windshield wiper sprayers started spraying continuously. We were unable to start Jeep at this time. This went on for about 3 minutes and finally stopped. Jeep then started and we were able to drive home.

- Brighton, CO, USA

May 232013

Warning light goes on...........horn does not control won't work properly........a well known problem that Chrysler refuses to fix or recall.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jun 132011

Wrangler 6-cyl

The airbag light continuously goes on and off, that has been going on about a year, now my horn wont work. Im told it has been a common problem with Jeep around my year(2008). In fact 2007 had a recall on their clock spring, which is now what I'm being told is the issue. Chrysler has done nothing to assist or acknowledge the issue.

- Galveston, TX, USA

May 042013

Bad clockspring on 2008 Jeep Wrangler 2 door lhd- air bag light on dash dings and comes on / goes off intermittently. No horn. Major safety issue that, from research and talking with other Jeep owners is very common but there is no recall for this yet.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 132010

Since 2010 if not sooner, my Jeep Wrangler sahara 2008 had a red light and air pressure light come on and off as a I drove. I took it to the Jeep dealer I bought it from 2-3 times for this and they could not duplicate it so they would not fix it despite showing a video of it. In 2010 my steering damper went bad and I had to pay to get it fixed. I almost crashed 3-5 times due to the wheels violently going back and forth doing 50-65 on the highways. It was terrible. It is now 2013 and its happening all over again. I do not feel it is right to pay for this when it is clearly an issue Jeep needs to resolve.

- Colts Neck, NJ, USA

May 152013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving at 25 mph the airbag light illuminated with a corresponding chime. The light comes on an off and the chime sounds randomly. Through research I have found this is not uncommon and is a recurring problem with Jeep Wrangler and specifically to the clockspring behind the steering wheel. Apparently my airbag may or may not work in the event of an accident.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While I was driving down the highway, I was approaching a corner and as I went to turn the steering wheel to negotiate the corner my wheel became stuck and I nearly went into the ditch. I jerked the steering wheel hard and heard some wires snap. After bringing the vehicle to a stop I could see pc ribbon wire hang out of the steering wheel indicating broken clock spring.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying. I have paid out of pocket to have a local dealership diagnose the issue, and they confirmed it was indeed the clockspring.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Apr 102013

Wrangler 6-cyl

2008 Jeep Wrangler has the airbag light on. Research states that it is due to a faulty clockspring. Chrysler will not address the issue on lhd Wrangler. The problem is apparently consistant with many other lhd owners.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 042012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Rattling noise under the body-turned out the weld on the heat shield nneded to be rewelded brake lines were being rubbed through by the tires-new brake lines had been updated to steel and route close to the body instead of rubber ones that route close to the tire "hot oil" light comes on. Dealership said to add an additional transmission cooler as the factory one is insufficient. Tmps low tire light and sentry key light come on and off together repeatedly. In park the lights would flash, honr honks, windshield wipers front in back would turn on and srpay fluid, clicking noise and burning smell from fuse box, fan and accessories would run without being turned on. These would occur when the vehicle was started or when a door would be opened even with no key in the ignition. Dealership said tipm was going out. I found this is a very common problem. All of these issues are safety hazards and through simle research have found a common problem for jk Wrangler.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Mar 082013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The airbag light turns on and off, indicating that there is an intermittent malfunction with the airbag system. The problem is a simple part - the clock spring in the steering that connects the airbag to the control module. If the system malfunctions before or during a crash, the airbag will not deploy, and could cause serious injury or death. I am shocked that this safety issue is not being recognized or covered by Jeep!

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Oct 232012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was leaving home at 6:00am to go to work and the small red light for engine problems came on. Then the low tire pressure light came on, then went off and so did the red light. There is nothing I could do at that time of the morning so I limped to work, 25 miles of on/off/on/off/on gets to you. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. I did and they couldn't find anything wrong with it and couldn't make the light come back on. Over the next couple of months, the red light would come on but not the tire light. What is wrong with my Jeep" if the light doesn't come on, they can't fix it??" it doesn't come on by command. And it is still coming on/off/on/off.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 302013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Clock spring failure in my 2008 lhd Jeep Wrangler has caused my windshield wipers to randomly turn on, my turn signals and headlights to only function intermittently, and my gauge cluster flickers when any of the above trigger.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Feb 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Everything is normal and working, you try to start the car and there is a click then nothing. I then move the shifter to neutral and start the car then move shifter back to park. There are no codes being registered if you plug in a diagnostic machine and I've had several competent mechanics check it out to no avail. This is many other people and isn't an isolated incident, which is why I'm reporting it. It appears to be an electrical issue, a grounding issue to be specific.

- Colleyville, TX, USA

Jul 182012

Air bag light and chime go off and on while driving for no reason. Happens every few minutes while driving. It has been doing this for over six months.

- Andover, MN, USA

Nov 122012

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle failed to start until after several attempts. The contact stated that a lighting bolt warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Providence, RI, USA

Dec 182012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving at night, the horn, front wipers, washers, rear wipers, and reverse lights all came on without warning. Pulled to side of road and turned off car but engine did not turn off. Opened hood and hit top of T.I.P.M. (totally integrated power module). Horn, wipers, washers, and engine stopped. This is a common problem with 2007-2009 Wrangler that Jeep fails to accept. It is unsafe because you cannot stop the engine or see where you are going when the washer fluid starts running. This is the 3rd time in 2 years this has done this.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 022011

Vehicle does not start when attempting to turn on. Engine clicks, but combustion does not start. After moving gear from "drive" to "neutral, " then engine may turn on. Other times, it may turn on after attempting for 30 mins.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 242012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While I was driving around town, my airbag light will come on and off. Sometimes the light will stay on for long periods of time.

- Wall, NJ, USA

Dec 032012

The horn no longer works and per the dealer, it is the clockspring. This cost about $500 to replace. The same make and model of the previous year had a recall but they have not recalled the 08 which apparently has the same problem.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA