2.8

2008 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012015

Wrangler

Jeep is spitting back fuel during fill up. Chrysler is telling me that my Jeep is not covered under the extended warranty that other 2008 Jeep Wrangler have now been given. I have videos of this spitback happening. (inlet check valve defect) one dealer said it was covered but Chrysler says no. Have been trying to get Chrysler to repair it for 2 years now.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Dec 272016

Wrangler

Gas overflows and spills out during every fueling. I think it is an inlet check valve issue. Gas tank also leaks gas around the fuel pump seal. Smells like gas outside the vehicle

- North Liberty, IA, USA

Oct 152010

Wrangler

Purchased this Jeep in 2010. Every since I purchased it, the gas spills out from the tank when I fill it up, unless I squeeze the gas nozzle very slowly and carefully. When the gas spills out, it goes on my clothing, the Jeep, and onto the ground. This is a health problem, a safety issue, and an environmental issue. Jeep should fix this for free!!!

- Kapaa, HI, USA

Jul 012008

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While the vehicle was being refueled, fuel ejected from the tank. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200.

- Allenton, MI, USA

Jan 232016

Wrangler

When fueling the gas pump isn't triggered to shut off until gas has already came out the top of the fueling neck. This causes gas to spill down the side of the vehicle and have a gas spill at the fueling station. This happens at every station I fill up at.

- Bladensburg, OH, USA

May 202016

Wrangler

Air bag light is on from a defective clock spring and the vehicle still spits out gas when I fill up.

- Harper Woods, MI, USA

Apr 132016

Wrangler

Went to go fill up the Jeep, it filled up the pump clicked that it was done and then it violently overflowed covering me and my precious Jeep in gasoline.

- Erie, CO, USA

Mar 012016

166,666.00

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jul 082008

Wrangler

Whenever I fill the gas tank it overflows after the pump turns off. It happens at all gas stations. It has happened since the Jeep was about 3 months old. The dealer told me it wouldn't be warrantied due to my using the vehicle off road so I have given up trying. I mostly don't fill it all the way anymore. But occasionally I forget and gas spills on the ground causing a serious fire hazard at the gas station as well as an environmental issue. After learning this is a very common problem, I have to ask why this isn't a recall yet?

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 012015

Wrangler

When pumping fuel while vehicle is stationary the fuel overflows. Must pump in small amounts slowly to keep overflow to a minimum; however, overflow still occurs especially at the end of pumping when the tank is full. Overflow squirts out and sounds like gargling when filling with fuel.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

May 152015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. After refueling the vehicle, fuel spewed out of the filler neck. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hodgenville, KY, USA

Oct 042015

Wrangler

Gas tanks overflows when filling tank.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 132009

Wrangler

Fueling has been an ongoing problem. I had a shut off problem in that the gas would eject from the car. Then I had a problem with slow fueling. It might take a gallon then almost stop taking forever to put fuel into the vehicle. I have taken it to begnal motors in kingston and they did address the issue and replaced the intake nozzle? and something to allow air into the tank when refueling. It seemed to be ok for awhile then went back to the fueling problem. I took it back to begnal and they seemed to believe the only solution was to replace the gas tank at my expense! this is a liability to my safety. I drove the Jeep to California and back the end of June of this year and never had a problem...I have to use my vehicle for many trips out of town and it is frightening as they told me this problem would probably get worse! this is definitely an engineering problem and should be taken care of by Chrysler. It seems that there is an on going issue with the fuel system.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Jan 022015

Wrangler

Fuel spills out of gas tank at every filling. Strong gas odor from gas tank at all times.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Mar 102015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Every time I fill the gas tank up gas spills, shoots out everywhere at least a few gallons of gas is not just wasted but all over me, the Jeep and the ground.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Dec 302014

Wrangler

Filing up the tank causes gas to spew everywhere.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 162010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Since 2010 I have been having issues with gas over flow when filling the tank. At first I thought it was the gas attendant and being careless. This seems to be an issue mostly in the cooler weather and winter months. It is been becoming progressively worse in the last few months where after researching and speaking with other Jeep owners have found that this has been a hazard and recall in a lot of Wrangler. I have also learned that my Jeep is not been included in this recall and have to pay for this costly repair myself. I find this unfair of Chrysler to do this to faithful Jeep owners. I also found that I am not alone in these costly repairs as I might also have to replace the whole gas tank. I do not wish to turn this into a battle. Please help me out with this ongoing problem as I am a faithful Jeep lover and want to stay that way. Thank you

- Lumberton, NJ, USA

Jan 232013

Wrangler

When filling with gas it spits back gas when gas pump turns off.

- Baldwin, MI, USA

Nov 042014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Every time I fuel the Jeep, it overflows after its full and spills everywhere. The first time this happened, the fuel spilled all over my pants and shoes and hand. This is a safety hazard and needs to be fixed. The overfilling problem has been occurring everytime I fill up.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jul 172014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that when refueling the vehicle, the fuel tank failed to stop when at the full level. As a result, fuel spilled from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Merrimack, NH, USA