2008 Jeep Wrangler seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 10 of 14)

Jul 052013

Wrangler

Since early July, my 2008 Jeep Wrangler 2dr lhd has lost horn functionality, cruise control functionality, and has been illuminating the airbag warning light. I have researched this issue and I believe there should be a safety recall on the 2008 Wrangler to replace faulty clocksprings just as there was for the 2007 Wrangler.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Sep 062013

Wrangler

While driving approx. 55 mph down paved road Jeep suddenly began constant horn honk, wipers started going, every dash light came on(ABS, engine, airbag, etc). This continued for about 1 minute then stopped. We turned around to go back home and about 2 minutes later same thing began again. The second time, along with above symptoms, we began to lose power and were unable to accelerate to maintain speed. We pulled off to the side of the road and turned key off. Horn, and wipers kept going. Then the windshield wiper sprayers started spraying continuously. We were unable to start Jeep at this time. This went on for about 3 minutes and finally stopped. Jeep then started and we were able to drive home.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Aug 312013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Airbag warning light came on and off then came on and stays on most of the time. Warning beep sounds every time I turn a corner. Took it to a Jeep dealer and he said it was the clock spring and would cost $480 to replace it. I read on a Jeep owners forum that 2007 Jeep had warranty extended to cover this. Sounds like a lot of 2008 Jeep owners are having the same problem, but Chrysler is unwilling to extend the warranty for us.

- Warsaw, MO, USA

Aug 102013

Wrangler 6-cyl

On August 10th on a trip to tulsa while I had my cruise set on or about 70mph I received an airbag alert on my dash. Since that alert it has continued to alert approximately every 3-5 min while you drive. Today I was informed by my dealer that is was a faulty clock spring which may or may not cause the airbag not to deploy in the event of an accident and it may or may not deploy without provocation. Upon research this is a widespread issue with this particular model Jeep and clearly is a safety hazard. There should be a forced safety recall on this part.

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

May 232013

Wrangler

Warning light goes on...........horn does not work.......cruise control won't work properly........a well known problem that Chrysler refuses to fix or recall.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jul 092013

Wrangler 6-cyl Diesel

My 2008 Jeep Wrangler sahara just started blaring the horn out of nowhere while I was driving. Many people slowed down to get out of my way, traffic patterns changed near me and almost caused a few accidents as everyone looked to see who was laying on their horn. The horn had a constant honk until I pulled out the fuses to disconnect it. My airbag light turned on and I have no idea if the airbag is working. I replaced the fuses and the horn did not honk again for a while until one night, about a week later, at about 2:00 am my Jeep woke my entire neighborhood with its blaring horn as I raced to pull my fuses out again. I looked up the possible cause of this problem and found many Jeep forums dedicated to the faulty "clock springs" in the steering columns that create these hazardous situations.

- Centerville, UT, USA

Jun 132011

Wrangler 6-cyl

The airbag light continuously goes on and off, that has been going on about a year, now my horn wont work. Im told it has been a common problem with Jeep around my year(2008). In fact 2007 had a recall on their clock spring, which is now what I'm being told is the issue. Chrysler has done nothing to assist or acknowledge the issue.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Jul 152013

Wrangler 6-cyl

On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 092013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Horn stuck on until I pull wire off of horn. Air bag light is on esp light is on and traction control light is on. Research on Jeep forums appears to be the clock spring. Many other 2008 models seem to be having the same issue. Please provide some resolution to this issue.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

May 042013

Wrangler

Bad clockspring on 2008 Jeep Wrangler 2 door lhd- air bag light on dash dings and comes on / goes off intermittently. No horn. Major safety issue that, from research and talking with other Jeep owners is very common but there is no recall for this yet.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 192013

Wrangler 6-cyl

"on the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying."

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jun 162013

Wrangler

Air bag light and chime goes on and off intermittently. After investigating, appears to be bad clockspring.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jun 022013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway (6/2/13) and the airbag light came on, so I pulled over and shut the vehicle off and then started it back up. The light went off so I drove off. It happened three more times before I got home. The same thing happened the next three days but now it is staying on. The dealer said it is a known problem and I will take it in on Friday. After some research there is a recall for RHD but not lhd and that I don't understand.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

May 242013

Wrangler 6-cyl

My air bag red light came on, I checked on line and was told they recalled the 2007 for this same reason, and if left unrepaired my seat belt will not work! after the 2007 recall, I feel they should have found the problem and fixed it! they want $425 to repair what they did not do right. If I had the money I would get the repair, but I feel the dealer ship should pay for half of the repair. I can die without a air bag! this is a recall waiting to happen as people start have this problem. Help

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 282013

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the clock spring and the air bags failed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where they confirmed the failure. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id: 13V176000 (air bags) however, the contact was advised that the recall only pertained to mail delivery vehicles. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Richmond , WA, USA

Apr 082013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was traveling down the highway and was coming up to a stop light and the vehicle died out. I was able to get the vehicle started and shortly after that, I was traveling down the highway again and while I was speeding up to about 55 mph the vehicle shut down again and I was barely able to get away from the traffic around me and get the vehicle pulled over to the side of the roadway. I attempted restarted the vehicle and it could not get the vehicle to restart, luckily I work on vehicles myself and determined that the problem was a fuel pump issue. I tapped on the fuel tank, got the vehicle started and was able to drive me and my family all the way back home, but the vehicle was driving rough and no lights came on indicating I had a problem, before or after. I will get the vehicle tested on to see what would have caused it. After reading a great number of these complaints, the problem seems to point at and is clearly indicating it is the fuel pump!! we were very lucky that the vehicle didn't explode because the fuel pump wires have a tendency to melted on the fuel pump. I doubt Ford would pay for this fuel pump failure it seems to be a common problem when you look on-line.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Apr 122013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Submission from constituent re 2008 Jeep Wrangler air bag system problems. The consumer stated the air bag light illuminated, as he was driving. He investigated the problem and learned there was an ongoing investigation prior to issuing a recall. On May 9, 2012, the consumer went to the dealer, for an unrelated problem and requested a diagnosis for the air bag problem. They reported on the invoice, the clock spring mechanism had failed and the replacement cost was $800.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 152013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving at 25 mph the airbag light illuminated with a corresponding chime. The light comes on an off and the chime sounds randomly. Through research I have found this is not uncommon and is a recurring problem with Jeep Wrangler and specifically to the clockspring behind the steering wheel. Apparently my airbag may or may not work in the event of an accident.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 022013

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the air bag clock spring failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The approximate failure and current mileage was 55,000.

- Magnum, NC, USA

May 082013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The air bag light is flashing on and off at different times during driving. It has come on the past 2 days and flashed and beeped. When I am driving it comes on erratically or not at all or stays on for the entire drive. I believe this to be one of the recalled ones but I called Chrysler and they told me it is not, based on the VIN number. It is definitely a safety hazard that Chrysler knows about.

- Draper , UT, USA