2008 Jeep Wrangler seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 14)

Jul 222016

Wrangler

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the horn failed to function due to the clockspring. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the vehicle did not need to be repaired because there was no firing code. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 09E044000 (equipment, trailer hitches) 16V290000 and 16V352000 (air bags). The parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 233,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lee, NH, USA

Jul 162016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V290000 (air bags) and 16V532000 (air bags). The part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

Jul 142016

Wrangler

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V290000 (air bags) and 16V352000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable for NHTSA campaign number: 16V352000. The clockspring recall cost $500 to repair. The contact submitted the charge to the manufacturer for reimbursement. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Nov 142014

Wrangler

I took it to Jeep because the seat belt light keeps coming on. They told me it was the clock spring and they wanted $1000 for it to be fixed. No I find out its happening to all Jeep. They still won't go good for it. It has happened to other year Jeep by still no recall. It's a defect and I would like it to be fixed. I have never received any recall info on my Jeep.

- Hermon, ME, USA

May 232016

Wrangler

Check airbag light coming on and beeping intermittently when vehicle was in motion. Took Jeep to dealership, was advised clockspring (in steering column) was faulty with squib 1 circuit open. Had to pay out of pocket for all repairs, even though Jeep has a current recall on this issue (S33 clockspring) for same model year and others. No resolution when speaking with Jeep customer care who claimed my VIN was not part of the current recall for the exact same problem.

- Holly Springs, NC, USA

Nov 102015

Wrangler

I have a faulty clockspring. There is a recall associated with this: S33. NHTSA campaign #: 16V290000. The faulty clockspring is effecting the airbags, stability control system and windshield wipers. For some reason my vehicle is not being covered by the recall.

- Markleeville, CA, USA

Nov 182015

Wrangler

Three warning lights are on: Two stability and one airbag. The windshield wipers act strange and won't turn off. The clockspring needs replaced.

- Markleeville, CA, USA

Jun 012016

Wrangler

The airbag light started coming on and off and sounding a chime as the steering wheel is turned about a year ago. Now it stays on all the time. There is a recall for the clockspring but it doesn't apply to my vehicle which I don't understand as it obviously has the problem. I understand my airbag won't work in this condition and is a safety issue.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Jun 072016

Wrangler

Second time the clock spring has gone defective. Airbag light on. Dealership charging for diagnosis and repair. Check all the Jeep groups, this is a common problem and needs to be addressed by Chrysler.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jan 202016

Wrangler

On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 112016

Wrangler

Required replacement of faulty clockspring, but my specific vehicle not included in recall.

- St. Pete, FL, USA

Feb 012016

Wrangler

Air bag light goes off constantly. If vehicle is on, warning light will go off and ding every couple of mins, whether wheel is straight or turning. Annoying and apparently common problem. Hope my airbag doesn't kill me.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 152016

Wrangler

My airbag light continues to go on and off while driving. Upon investigation I am not the only owner who has been experiencing this issue, it is quite common.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Dec 022015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at various speeds, the air bag warning indicator illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V176000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,039.

- Ogden, UT, USA

May 202016

Wrangler

Air bag light is on from a defective clock spring and the vehicle still spits out gas when I fill up.

- Harper Woods, MI, USA

May 112016

Wrangler

Faulty clock spring for airbag

- Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, USA

May 082016

Wrangler

Airbag warning light continuously comes on and chimes indicating a problem with airbag.

- Oakhurst, CA, USA

May 052016

Wrangler

Airbag light illuminates and chimes. Light goes out during turns, but re-illuminates once steering wheel is straightened back out. Problem is chronic. I understand Jeep has a recall on 2007 Jeep for same issue and RHD versions for later years.

- Vail, AZ, USA

Apr 242016

Wrangler

While driving my 2008 Jeep Wrangler the clocksrping malfunctioned and broke while going around a turn on my neighborhood street. My air bag light came on and a small ribbon came out of the steering column. This also disabled my horn. When I took it to my mechanic he asked about a recall on this part because this is not a common issue. I looked and saw that there in fact was a recall on the right handed vehicles for 2008 but not left handed drive vehicles as well as 2007 Jeep had the recall. I am hopeful that this can also be recalled in 2008 left hand drive vehicles as it is not something that should go bad unless your vehicle is left in the rain dust or dirty environments, which is not how my Jeep is ever stored. I am happy that I was on a neighborhood street when this happened and that the air bag did not deploy!

- Towson, MD, USA

Apr 142016

Wrangler

My air bag light has been turning on and off when I am driving the Jeep. It chimes every time it lights up, then goes out, then chimes and lights up again fairly often.

- Bristol, CT, USA