2008 Jeep Wrangler seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 8 of 14)

Apr 052014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Air bag light goes on and off while driving and turning corners. Chime sounds and horn does not work.

- Litchfield Park, AZ, USA

Feb 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag alarm keep getting triggered.

- Winnetka, IL, USA

Apr 152014

Wrangler

Driving along on road and the airbag light started coming and going off every couple of minutes and chiming each time.

- Vinita, OK, USA

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag sensor light came on. Took vehicle in and was told it is the airbag clock spring. There have been recalls on right side driver installs, which mine is not. However, there are numerous reports that left side driver install is defective as well. Chrysler has given assistance to some customers in replacing the part that were not under the recall, but refused to assist me. It is a well known defect and I believe Chrysler should be forced to recall the part on all Jeep Wrangler, especially admittedly knowing the problem and assisting some people with part replacement but not others.

- Denver, CO, USA

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

In NHTSA action number :PE11019 date :April 15, 2014 at 01:39 pm Chrysler informed ODI that it intends to initiate a consumer satisfaction campaign for MY2007 lhd Wrangler which will extend the cs warranty coverage for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Accordingly the investigation was closed. The air bag warning in my Jeep keep was coming on and off; I brought it to the dealer, who determined that the clock spring was defective and that it needed to be replaced. The repair cost over $750; the dealer informed me that despite Chrysler representing to the NHTSA that it would extend the cs warranty coverage for 10 years and 150,000 miles (and securing closure of the investigation), Chrysler was not providing the warranty coverage it promised. Please investigate/inquire why Chrysler is not doing so! thank you.

- Winnetka, IL, USA

Wrangler 6-cyl

Horn doesn't work, I also get an unknown ding warning sound in the dash, I am afraid my airbag may not work as well. The clockspring must be broken.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Mar 262014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag light illuminated due to clockspring failure.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Mar 192014

Wrangler 6-cyl

On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes stays on steady with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- California City, CA, USA

Mar 112014

Wrangler 6-cyl

The airbag warning light came on in my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I contacted Jeep and found the problem is not covered by my basic warranty any longer. So I went on line to see if I could fix it myself. I discovered that the most likely cause of this problem is a defective clock spring in the steering column. By reading Jeep forums I discovered that this is a common problem in the 2008 Jeep and in fact an extended warranty was required of Jeep in the right hand drive versions of the vehicle. The apparent justification to exclude the left had drive vehicles is that mail carriers using the right hand version use the Jeep with the windows down allowing dirt to enter the vehicle. I remind you that the Jeep is marked to folks who will most likely drive the thing off road meaning gravel or dirt roads. Where I live in a desert region of Wyoming the dirt roads are usually covered in flour like dust so dirt gets everywhere. I suspect the real reason for allowing Chrysler off the hook is the cost involved to warranty the rest of the vehicles. If the cause of the problem is a design defect then all of those vehicles who actually have the problem need the extended warranty. If left hand drive vehicles don"T have the problem then people won?T be asking for repair. It cost around $500 for this repair which many people may neglect causing their death. Why are mail carrier lives more valuable than the rest of us" please reconsider the decision to disregard the health and welfare of the majority of Jeep owners who have left hand drive vehicles at least in this country. I suspect the defective part is defective no matter what side of the vehicle it is installed on.

- Cody, WY, USA

Mar 062014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving home from work and when I exited from the highway, my airbag light came on. It proceeded to come on and go off over the next 15 min on the rest of my drive home. This seems to be a faulty clockspring, which leads to a faulty airbag. This should be covered under the extended 10 year/150,000 mile warranty that covers the 2007 lhd and 2008 RHD Jeep Wrangler. Whether the steering is on the right or left side of a vehicle should not make a difference when it comes to driver safety.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Mar 062014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Air bag light came on. Was caused by a defective clock spring. This is a known defect on the Wrangler since recall was done on 2007 Jeep Wrangler and 2008 RHD Jeep Wrangler.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Feb 102012

Wrangler

The esp, bas, ABS, and airbag lights are all on. When you start driving there is a clunking noise and it hesitates to go. Sometimes when you are driving it starts to clunk and it is hard to steer. At times it is like you are dragging the rear end. And at times it even feels like you are dragging the rear end sideways.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jan 102014

Wrangler

I was on the highway and all of a sudden my airbag light came on. Didn't know what was going on so I pulled over. I thought maybe it was just a one time thing but I traveled over 1000 miles with it dinging every little while. When I got to my destination the light was still coming on and I was told it was a spring and would cost $400 to $500 to fix. I feel that it is not my responsibility to fix since it is a safety issue. But not only that I also had to get the ball joints replaced, both upper and lower which cost over $1000. I was told by the mechanic that Jeep does not put grease fittings on them so that they eventually go out. This could cause a very serious accident and these issues need to be resolved by the company before someone get hurt or worse killed. I love my Jeep but all these issues are really disturbing. One other issue I noticed is I am always having to check the oil which is usually low. Not sure what that is but I know others have complained about this.

- Ft Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 242014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Jeep 2008 Wrangler had airbag indicator going off, so codes were checked. Clock spring failure code. This is a liability and safety issue.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The airbag clock spring is malfunctioning.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Jan 222014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Air bag light stays on, it has 27,000 miles on it. Open a case with Chrysler customer care 1 800-763-8422 the dealer here says not under warranty.they say there is no recall on that also. This is kind of stupid for this new of vehicle to have this problem. Hopefully, someone can get this problem resolved since only the 2007 jks have been recalled for the same problem. All the years need a recall!

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Jun 052013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The airbag light just came on & my cruise control stopped working so did my horn.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Jan 132014

Wrangler 6-cyl

My airbag light came on along with a chime. Now the light and chime happen intermittently. This is the second time for this issue on my Jeep. The first time I brought it to a dealer and they replaced the clockspring at a cost of over $400. This part is essential to the safety of myself and my passengers and needs to be replaced again. Meanwhile, the RHD and 2007 Wrangler have had a recall issued for this issue. Well, I live in a dusty part of the country and in the summer drive with the window down a lot, just as the mail carriers with the RHD Jeep do. I actually purchased my Jeep in November of 2007. It is a 2008 my but was made in 2007, immediately after those 2007 lhd Jeep that received the recall. I do not understand how this recall was not expanded to cover all Wrangler that it affects. From what I have read the air bags will not operate properly when this issue is present. They could not deploy when necessary and/or deploy when not necessary. This is unacceptable for me to have this condition in my vehicle putting any passengers at risk. I will be having it replaced either way, again.

- Munising, MI, USA

Apr 032013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Clockspring went out, replaced and went out again. There is a recall for this exact issue for the RHD version of my vehicle only. This recall should apply to lhd as well.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Oct 112012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag light and chime activate when turning. Was diagnosed as faulty clock spring mechanism. Was told it was not under warranty and if not fixed airbags may not deploy.

- Littleton, CO, USA