2008 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 292012

While driving about 60 mph and then begin to slow down on a major highway (slight bumps in the road). The steering wheel begins to wobble back and forth violently and the whole vehicle shakes like crazy. Must slow down immediately (almost to a stop) and then the shaking ceases. I've heard it called the "death wobble" and I understand why. This has happened numerous times over the last 4 years and the Jeep dealership has "fixed" the problem numerous times. My wife and children are afraid to ride in the vehicle, and I cannot, in good conscience, sell the vehicle to anyone. The condition seems very dangerous to me.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jul 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Having problem with "death wobble". while traveling at a high rate of speed, over 40mph. A violent shaking has occurred a multiple number of times. Feels as though the entire front end of vehicle is ready to fly off. Control of vehicle is compromised. Especially at such a high rate of speed, which usually occurs on the freeway with other vehicles around. Dealership says that the steering stabilizer needs to be replaced. Research on the internet says that this just masks the problem. Personally looking at the steering components of the vehicle. I cannot see how a worn out steering stabilizer can cause so much chaos.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 202012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble, terrible steering shimmer. Driving on highway at 55 mph. Hit one bump on the road and all of a sudden the vehicle started shaking violently. I needed to slam on the breaks to keep the vehicle from maybe flipping over. It has happened before, but not this violent. To fix this I installed a dual steering stabilizer set up made by skyjacker.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated the vehicle began to shake violently while driving 50 mph over a bump in the road. The failure ceased when the contact decelerated to a lower speed. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Topsfield, ME, USA

Mar 172012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

After hitting a bump/change in lane texture, my Jeep began to shake violently. I have experienced this about 5 more times since mid March always under the same circumstances. I can slow down/apply the brake and the shake goes away. I understand "death wobble" is a term being applied to this problem. I do not have a life on my Jeep nor do I have any after-market tires.

- Mililani, HI, USA

Apr 262012

The car experienced the so-called "Jeep death wobble." At about 65 mph on the freeway, the front end of the car began to shake so violently and uncontrollably that I had no choice but to slow to a stop in the emergency lane. After attempting to drive at highway speed again several minutes later, the wobble occurred a second time, forcing me to pull over once more. Had I let go of the steering wheel during the incident, the car would surely have swerved and possibly spun out.

- Corona, CA, USA

Mar 302012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving on the highway at approximately 65 miles per hour my front end began to shake and the steering became so erratic that I had to grip the steering wheel to keep the car from veering into another lane of traffic. I was able to slow the car down and pull over to the side of the road. Once I began again there was no vibration. This is the second time this has happened within two month. There are many cases of this happening on the internet. It's called the "death wobble" and I don't feel safe in the car anymore. The dealership has told me that its a worn sway bar but 25K miles shouldn't wear out this type of part.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Known to many who have Jeep, the "death wobble". when this first happened to my daughter's car, thankfully I was the one driving. It was on the interstate and I thought a tire had blown. The steering wheel vibrated uncontrollably and I pulled over. Nothing looked wrong but I called a tow truck regardless. They looked at it at the station and could not find anything wrong. I had no idea this was a problem Jeep created when they built the vehicle. It is a situation where the front axle begins oscillating with such violence that control of the Jeep is difficult until slowed down, and the entire vehicle shakes to the point you feel it will come apart.

- Colchester, VT, USA

Feb 262012

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle would shake violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that they could replace the bearings on the driver and passenger side suspension. The dealer could not guarantee that the failure would be resolved after the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Belpre, OH, USA

Dec 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

The steering wheels and front wheels started shaking violently after hitting a mild bump and that was the first give in a costly ball joint replacement on a stock unabused Jeep Wrangler. It cost over $1400 to fix through 4 wheel parts. The dealer refused to acknowledge a problem and suggested the tires were simply unbalanced as the problem for the shake that nearly caused serious wreck.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2008 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to mechanical problems and brake line routing defect the consumer stated the first problem he had with the vehicle was the transmission. It began failing to engage and shifting out of gear. The dealer discovered that the transmission oil filter had not been installed and was lying on the bottom of the transmission oil pan. In January 2011, while driving at highway speeds, the consumer began to experience intermittent violent shaking of the entire vehicle, which seemed to be originating from the front end. The consumer stated it felt as though a wheel was loose. The consumer went to a repair shop, where the tie rod and pitman were replaced. Two weeks later, the shaking occurred again and soon it became increasingly violent, making it nearly impossible to control the vehicle and stay in his lane. The consumer returned to the repair shop where they replaced the steering damper, which seemed to correct the problem for awhile. In July, the consumer took the vehicle for a routine maintenance check. While checking the front end, the mechanic was able to get two full turns on a nut on the track bar. Since then, the shaking has not occurred. The consumer stated as he approached a line of vehicles stopped at a light, he attempted to apply the brake, but it went soft and to the floor. An inspection revealed a hole in the brake line above the right front wheel, where the line left the wheel well and went into the engine compartment. The hole was caused by rubbing on the line by the edge of the plastic wheel well lining.

- Missoula, MT, USA

May 012011

When my Jeep hits a bump on the highway (left tire first) the entire Jeep starts shaking violently. It feels like the tires are about to fall off. This happens whenever I go over 50mph (which could be extremely dangerous on the highway with other cars). It doesn't stop until I come to a complete stop. I have found hundreds of posting about this issue and every single one says that Chrysler says nothing is wrong. If most Jeep built after 2007 have this issue, maybe it's a manufacturer defect?

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Apr 122011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Once my vehicle reaches a speed of 50 mph, goes over a bump, or around some turns, it starts to shake uncontrollably. This shaking does not subside until I stop the vehicle. It has gotten worse and worse to the point where it happens about every 2 miles if I am going 50 mph. I can not go above 50 mph which is quite dangerous on the freeway because the speed limits here are 65-70 mph. When I go over a bump and it starts to happen, if there is no place to pull over (which has happened) I must come to a complete stop right where I am, or continue to drive while the vehicle is shaking uncontrollably, and I am unable to steer. This is completely visible to others not inside the vehicle as well, as I have been pulled over, verbally yelled at, honked at, etc...

- Stateline, NV, USA

Jan 112012

Steering went into extreme shimmy I.e. death wobble after small bumps on highway. Vehicle lost control and required evasive maneuver to pull over and stop shimmy. Extremely dangerous defect in design.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jan 182011

Wrangler 6-cyl

My Jeep is experiencing what Jeep owners refer to as the death wobble. Violent, intense shaking of the front end after hitting the smallest of bumps. Must slow down immediately to gain control of vehicle.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 092012

Death wobble 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Bought vehicle in Oct 2011, 5 occurrances of death wobble, all on freeways through Jan 10th 2012. Only recourse is to pull over & stop after hitting a bump or groove in the road. Newtons law, every action causes a reaction. Front wheels will start shaking begin gradually then violantly until you can luckily pull over & stop. Once stopped, you can start again & not experience it again for weeks & then it happens again whenever you least expect it. Very hard to even control the vehicle once it abruptly starts. Dealer says it's damper needs replaced for 250$. doing this... but this really feels like this should be a recall issue or covered under a easy care warranty that I was duped into buying as well. After 4 months of owning a 20,000$ car & nearly killed 5 times is outrageous. Many people wouldn't have been able to control a vehicle if this happened to them. This is a Chrysler defect & they should be addressing this before someone is killed by their faulty engineering and/or parts.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 042012

The contact owns 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact heard a grinding noise in the front end of the vehicle and could not control the steering wheel. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic. The technicians stated to the contact that the front ball joints were fractured, causing the axle to fracture as well. The technicians stated that the axle was on backorder and not available for repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,534.

- Ironwood, MI, USA

Jan 032012

This is my second online complaint regarding the "death wobble" I have experienced in my Jeep. I had the issue "fixed" in September, though it began to happen again in early December. I took my Jeep back in to the dealership and they replaced the steering damper with a "high performance" model. They did this at no charge because they said the original "fix" was still under warranty. I thought this took care of things. Two days ago, I was driving about 45 mph on a busy service road and the vehicle began to shake violently again. I immediately had to slow down and almost come to a stop before it would stop. Nearby drivers had to swerve to miss me and the guy behind me almost rear-ended me. This has got to stop. I took my Jeep back to the dealership this morning and they said they would look into it and call me back. The saga continues.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jul 292011

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway and all the sudden the whole vehicle including the steering wheel started to shake horribly. I don't feel like I can control the steering when this occurs. Stepping on the brakes to slow down/stop makes it worse. Once I drop back below 40 mph it stops, til the next time it happens. In the beginning it was only occasionally. Recently it has been occurring more frequently. It is very scary when this occurs. My mechanic replaced the steering dampener but that did not fix this issue. I have no idea what this issue is but it is not safe to be driving while this is occurring.

- Ninnekah, OK, USA

Sep 052011

Wrangler 6-cyl

The vehicle's front end began to vibrate with resonance until the entire vehicle was shaking so badly that it had to be pulled off the side of the road. This phenomenon is well documented by many sources as "death wobble." The initial incident happened while driving on a two-lane highway in good condition. On this same drive, there were two more incidents of death wobble. After these occurrences, the vehicle was taken in to a mechanic for inspection, front-end alignment and tire balancing. There were no more incidents of death wobble until nearly a month later when it occurred on the highway at approximately 70 mph. After this incident, the vehicle was taken to a mechanic that specializes in Jeep maintenance and customization. The cause of the problem was identified as slop in the stock track bar. The vehicle has stock suspension, wheels and tires. The vehicle has been well maintained with tire rotations done at regular intervals. Other than these incidents of death wobble, the vehicle does not have any other noticeable problems. Following the track bar diagnosis, the vehicle was taken to a dealership for inspection. The dealership diagnosed several other front end components as being in need of replacement, at a significantly higher cost, contradictory to the two previous independent inspections.

- Seattle, WA, USA