2008 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 192016

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The front end developed a bad shaking. If you are ridding at 60 to 65 mph and hit a very slight bump the front end develops a shake that causes you to loose control and have to come to an abrupt stop even is you are on a major highway. Jeep called it a death wobble but they said its not a recall ! are they crazy ? my wife almost got killed. She had to come to a sudden stop on rout 18 in New Jersey while driving at 65 mph and a truck was barreling down on her. Thank god the truck was able to stop in time. It happened to the same car 4 times since I own it. It seems to happen every 50,000 miles.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Aug 012016

Wrangler

I have complained to the NHTSA once before but nothing is happening. My Jeep is experiencing a "death wobble" so bad that I have lost control of my vehicle. I have taken it back to Jeep dealer to get the problem fixed, but they claim that it is not a problem it clearly is a problem, and I have looked this condition up on the internet. Many people have experienced the "death wobble" yet Chrysler is not fixing a very dangerous, and life threthening situation.

- Ny, NY, USA

May 142016

Wrangler

Jeep death wobble - noted on many Jeep forums, Wrangler are notorious for this. Driving on the freeway at approx. 70 mph, accelerating swiftly when entering a freeway on-ramp, on surface streets with potholes and/or bumpy ride - the vehicle begins to shake vigorously and loudly. The steering wheel shakes and as well as the whole front dash - literally feels like your vehicle will break in half. The only way to stabilize is to bring speed down to 20-30 mph. This is very dangerous, especially on the freeway. I had to drive with my hazards on at 30 mph on the freeway in order to maintain control of the vehicle.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Oct 152015

Wrangler

While traveling on a highway at 50 mph, I hit some rough road and some shallow potholes. For the first time, I almost lost control of the steering wheel when my Jeep suddenly shook violently. I stepped on the break and pulled over on the shoulder and stopped. Then I drove again and the Jeep was just fine. After researching on the problem, from then on, I tried to avoid potholes or rough roads and slow down my speed to 40 mph on a freeway to avoid the so called "death wobble" until I had money to have the car fixed. The dealer changed all defective parts including struts and stabilizer and costed me more than $700.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Oct 162015

Wrangler

I own a 2008 Jeep Wrangler that has been experiencing the 'death wobble' more frequently. The cause for concern first happened (2) years ago after hitting a pothole on the highway. I took it in for inspection and maintenance. The mechanic told me it was a loose steering stabilizer bar. About a year or so after the repair, my Wrangler has been experiencing the 'death wobble' more frequently. It seems to happen when I'm driving on the interstate and hit some significant bump or pothole. I have to slow down to roughly 40 mph for the violent shaking to stop. Then, I can accelerate back to normal speed. It can be real dangerous when other people are close behind me and I'm forced to apply the brakes to drop my speed by roughly 30 mph. I don't have the money to keep taking the Wrangler in for more repairs, especially one that seems to happen periodically. Thoughts?

- Muncie, IN, USA

Sep 072015

Wrangler

Experiencing what has been called "death wobble." Violent shaking and unable to safely drive on hwy. If you hit a bump going over 55 you will most likely experience this and can only stop to regain control. This may be a deadly problem! has happened numerous times since purchasing this Jeep in July of 2015 and we've only had it 3 months. No dealer support or help on the problem after first attempt to resolve the issue.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 292015

Wrangler

It has only happened once so far, but it was very scary. The front wheels began an uncontrollable wobble. I was going 55-60 mph and had to wrestle the car off the highway as it was fighting to stay on road. It felt like the front wheels were falling off. The car behind me almost hit me. It was fine once I stopped the car and hasn't happened in 2 weeks. Upon checking the internet, there are a whole lot of people with the same thing happening to them. They even have a name for it, it's called "the Jeep death wobble" and it's common in Jeep Wrangler of all ages. And most people have it happen to them several times. Look it up. I talked to dealers and Chrysler corporate and they all said "we have heard some stories, but don't have a real fix for it.". they said it could be caused by "adding lifters to your car", which is a joke, because everyone that was complaining about the Jeep death wobble have stock Jeep and are not taking them off-road. It's an issue Jeep is ignoring until there is a death, which is bound to happen soon.

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA

May 162012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. While driving at 50 mph, the front end of the vehicle started shaking violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and an authorized dealer. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was not available.

- Goshen, NY, USA

Jul 182015

Wrangler

Recently the air bag light in my jk Jeep Wrangler (2008) began illuminating. I did some investigation prior to servicing it at the dealer and determined it was likely the clockwork spring since there were some many reports of failure. In addition, my electronic sway bar disconnect system would not re-engage after a camping trip. I drove down a mountain pass and on a stretch of 75 mph interstate without a sway and an air bag which was dangerous. I took it into the dealership to get both issues looked at. Jeep confirmed it was the clockwork spring causing the air bag light ($48 diagnosis) and that the sway bar disconnect motor ($96 diagnosis) had failed. They quoted me for $410 to get the clockwork spring fixed & $1410 to replace the sway bar. No promise was made to reimburse me for the diagnosis and repair cost should the issues become recalls since they are under investigation. I took initiative to self determine the cause of the sway bar not reconnecting since I suspected that the electronic motor was still functioning (I could hear and feel to motor operating before & after I took my vehicle into the dealership for service). After disassembling (never been tampered with prior), I found water and rusty parts inside and could see that the unit as poorly designed judging from the one small spring that is suppose to work to re-engage the sway bar by pushing the internal gears (now rusty) back together. I simply applied some grease to the parts and reinstalled the unit. To my delight this allowed the motor to reconnect the sway bar. It is unconscionable to put motorist in harms way without a functioning air bag system and / or sway bar due to poorly vehicle construction and then charge for diagnosis and repair costs. Please issue recalls for the clockwork spring and the lack of water protection for the electronic sway bar disconnect system before fatalities occur.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Apr 132015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While traveling at an unknown speed, the rear tires started wobbling. The contact heard the sound, but the failure was not visible unless someone was traveling behind the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the axle housing and the cv joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop who diagnosed that the axle shafts needed to be replaced due to the axle shaft being bent. There was also a presence of a leak. The seal on the passenger side fractured without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,350.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 032014

Wrangler

When driving on the expressway at a speed of approximately 70 mph, the left front tire struck a small pot hole, the front suspension began shaking violently, removing drivers grip on the steering wheel. After regaining wheel grip, driver began rapid deceleration while steering off to the shoulder. Shaking subsided around vehicle speed of approximately 40 mph and then a complete stop was achieved without incident. No traffic was immediately present at the time. Nothing was found during initial inspection on roadside and vehicle drove properly after resuming cautiously.

- Lakeland, MI, USA

Mar 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

This vehicle has the Jeep "death wobble" which involves severe shaking and violent wobbling at about 50 mph. This occurs frequently. I have made numerous attempts to have the problem solved and vehicle repaired. Nothing has helped.

- Madison, MS, USA

Oct 242013

Wrangler 6-cyl

As with other Jeep owners, my Wrangler suddenly fell into the 'death wobble'. with many attempts at repair and over $1500, there is still an unresolved issue.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Feb 022015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at approximately 60 mph after driving over a bump or depressing the brake pedal, the front end shook uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering dampener failed. The tires were rotated and balanced, but failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Warwick , RI, USA

Mar 012015

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was traveling on a busy highway at a speed of 65 miles per hour when out of the blue the Jeep started to shake uncontrollably. To make matters worse, I had a semi right behind me hauling a gas tanker. Fortunately for me I was traveling in the speed lane which is adjacent to the emergency run off the lane. I let my foot of the gas and rolled/trembling off the highway into the emg lane till I came to a complete stop. After catching my breath and my heart. I proceeded to get out of the car to check and see if there was something wrong with the front end axle. I did not see anything problem so got back in the Jeep and drove off. I drove about another 50 miles that night and was not able to duplicate the problem at any speed. So a couple of days later I took the Jeep in to see my service advisor at planet Dodge in doral, fl. After a brief description of the symptoms and what happened, the service advisor calmly said it's a common problem called "the death wobble". so I am now having to drop off this Jeep in order to get a diagnosis and have the problem repaired. I hope it never happens to anyone; especially my mother who often drives the Jeep. This is a very very dangerous condition which will eventually cause accident and may even cause fatalities. There needs to be a class action suit filed against the manufacturer. Or at the very least a recall.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Mar 012015

- Homestead, FL, USA

Mar 042015

Wrangler

I was just driving down a paved residential road on a slight decline about 40 mph and it started wobbling and shaking the entire car. I felt like I was going to lose control and couldn't swerve over since there was traffic. I applied the brakes lightly, but not too much since there was other vehicles behind me that I didn't want to slam into me from behind if I suddenly braked too hard. Even while applying brakes the Jeep was still wobbling violently. Violently! seriously thought I was going to cause a wreck. Finally the Jeep stopped wobbling where I pulled over and checked if my tires were lose or anything. Everything was fine on the outside. When I came home I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue, and turns out it even has a name called the "death wobble". my Jeep is a 2008, with 40,000 mile. This Jeep is rarely used. This is unacceptable. Not only the Wrangler, but many other vehicles as well. Chrysler seems to deny that any issues exist concerning the "death wobble". please help.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on a state highway, even though posted speed limit was 65mph, traffic was heavy and I was forced to slow down to around 50 to 53 mph. When speeding back up to 55 mph my Jeep sahara shook violently and uncontrollably, I thought my vehicle was going to shake apart, I hit the brakes and went down to 50 mph (thank god no one was close behind me and did not hit me) and the shaking/wobble stopped. As traffic picked back up and I was able to speed up to 60 mph, there was no real problem (a slight shake as I past 55 mph), but as soon as I had to slow down to 55 mph the vehicle started to shake/wobble uncontrollably again. It appears if I accelerate from 0 to 55 mph I get the violent shaking/wobbling but if I go from 0 to 60-65 mph, I do not really experience the violent uncontrollably shaking, just a slight shake at the 55 mph going to 60-65 mph. If I slow down from 60-65 mph to 55 mph I get that same violent uncontrollable shaking/wobbling. This happens everyday - not randomly! I found even on non-highways, where speed limits that allow 55 mph, I get the same violent shaking. This is my only vehicle and I depend on it to get to and from work every weekday. I have read the forums and I have checked the tire pressure, it has no effect on the shaking/wobbling. I have never taken it off-road, I don't even put it in 4 wheel drive. My son has his own Jeep that he has work on for years and he looked at my Jeep (things like steering components, ball joints, tires, steering damper, etc.) all the things Jeep owners have posted on these forums and have paid dearly for at the dealership and everything seems ok. I recently found from a Jeep forum that this is called the 'death wobble'.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 272015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Typical "death wobble" that I was unaware of until researching this morning. Very scary and with only 25,000 miles an no off roading on this Jeep, this should not happen and certainly not something I should have to pay to repair!

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 052012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 45 to 65 mph, the front end of the vehicle shook violently out of control and caused the suspension to become unstable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the tires needed to be balanced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the steering damper, but the failure recurred two days after the repair was performed. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Harford, PA, USA