2.8

2009 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle would occasionally experience a violent shaking from the front wheels when traveling approximately 50-60 mph. Seemed to typically be initiated by small bump in the road. Only way to stop the shaking was to almost come to a complete stop. Less than 10 mph. Took vehicle to mechanic who determined the steering stabilizer was defective.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Jul 122013

Wrangler 6-cyl

At highway speed (50-70 mph) vehicle would shake violently after hitting a bump. Vehicle needs to come to a complete stop to correct the wobble. After a little on line research, I discovered "death wobble." Service writers at both milosch palace Jeep and al deeby Jeep knew right away what I was talking about. I cannot believe there is not a safety recall for this. It seems everyone with knowledge of Jeep is aware of the issue. This is very dangerous on highways\interstates, especially for inexperienced drivers, because the vehicle needs to come to a stop to in order to stop the wobble. I am sure no one really cares what I have to say, but Jeep is very dirty on this one. I am a 45 year mechanical engineer in the automotive field. Can someone please tell me why there has not been a safety recall for this?

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving at 50 mph and faster, when the vehicle hits a bump the steering starts to shake uncontrollably. The wheels shimmy from side to side and only stops when the vehicle slows to below 40 mph, and in some instances only stops when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. This is extremely scary and dangerous especially when it occurs on the highway, as you need to weave through traffic at a high speed to find a safe place to pull over. This issue is well known throughout the Jeep community, as it has it's own nickname the "death wobble". Chrysler has acknowledged that this has become a common issue among their vehicles; however, has done nothing in the form of recalls or service to help customers fix the issue. In a report by abc news, they stated that there have been over 600 reports of the same issue I have experienced. I brought my vehicle to a Chrysler certified auto shop to get it fixed and they could not identify the problem. They did a front end alignment on my car saying that might fix the problem; however, it did not. The "death wobble" has occurred in my vehicle 5 times since the initial incident in April.

- Greenfield, MA, USA

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to shake violently and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle until the speed was reduced to 5 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that some front end parts needed to be replaced. The contact was not aware of the specific parts that needed replacing. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the mechanic but the cause for the failure was not determined. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Middletown, OH, USA

Jun 212013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I drove over a dip in the road at approximately 45mph and my car started shaking uncontrollably. I truly felt the car was coming apart and I would wreck. I let off the gas and the shaking stopped. I have since discovered the "death wobble" and feel this is exactly what happened to me.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Mar 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving my Jeep Wrangler 2009, I hit a bump in the road and the car went into the death wobble - violently shaking from side-to-side. The only way to stop it was to slow down or come to a near stop and then continue. It does this very often now - usually starts somewhere between 35-55 mph and just after hitting a bump.

- Stowe, VT, USA

Wrangler

Today while driving down the road with kids hit a bump in road at 35 mph and the Jeep went into death wobble. Then something broke and I lost all steering power and could not turn wheels. Almost had a wreck. When I got the vehicle to a place to look at it the steering box had broken off.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Feb 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Every time since February when I hit a bump the Jeep starts shaking violently. I keep hearing of it being the Jeep death wobble. It has torn up my tires and affected many parts and now I can not even hit a bump at 30 mph without it starting to shake. Not sure what to do to fix. I called my dealer to see what they suggested and they had never heard of the Jeep death wobble which Chrysler had apparently sent out a notice to all companies about it. I have heard of several complaints on this. My Jeep is stock and never been modified and never been taken off road. It is a family vehicle and now I just want to get rid of it!

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Mar 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Anytime you hit a pothole or bump in the road the vehicle goes into a violent shimmy/shake. When this occurs you must exit the roadway immediately and come to a complete stop before you can gain control of the vehicle. This vehicle is straight from the factory, no modifications have been made. I work in a garage on vehicles and have knowledge of mechanics of vehicles. There is no ball joints, tie rods, bushings etc. That has wear that would be responsible for this vehicle to have this dangerous issue. When you contact Jeep, they say to replace the steering stabilizer shock. There is a design flaw in the Jeep. This is why I have had to replace the steering stabilizer shock twice so far.

- Newport, TN, USA

Mar 262013

Wrangler

While driving approximately 45mph I experienced a violet shaking of the steering wheel and could not control the vehicle until the speed slowed to approximately 15mph. I researched on the internet and someone said Jeep used a bolt smaller than the hole on a track bar that connects the front axle to the vehicle and this gets wallowed out and causes this.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Mar 082013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was traveling at 65 mph when I heard a sound from the rear passenger side. I immediately pulled over to discover my tire was completely flat and the valve stem had come loose. This is the second time this has happened, the first was back in November. The time span for the latest incident was approx. 10-15 seconds. A rapid deflation. I had just put new tires on the Jeep in Nov. Now one of them is destroyed. I talked to two Jeep dealers since the event on 3/8/13. Both of them said that there is a problem with these parts failing in northern states due to corrosion and that if " I lived in California, this would not be an issue." I was offered new rubber tmps stems for $433. Not satisfactory. I feel I was lucky that this was not a front tire!

- Gordon, WI, USA

Feb 062013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have experience what is commonly referred to as the "Wrangler death wobble" on over three occasions. These are dangerous situations where the steering begins to wobble uncontrollably side to side. The violence of the wobble increases quickly making it tough to hold onto the steering wheel and maintain control, especially if this occurs in multi-lane roads. Increasing speed results in the wobble becoming more violent. The only way to recover is to brake quickly and bring your vehicle to a near stop (at least under 5 mph) before the wobbling subsides. The "death wobble" appears to be brought on by the Jeep tires hitting a pot hole, railroad crossing, or other rough spots in the road at a slight angle. Usually around 35+ mph. Faster speeds, such as highway (55-75) do not seem to create the issue but accelerating to enter a highway does, and has in my case as you pass between 30-40mph. To recover the driver aggressively apply the brakes (without warning to those behind them) as the wobble severity increases quickly. This creates a safety issue. The wobble also has an adverse affect on the steering dampers which soon begin leaking fluids from the violent wobbles.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jan 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate going 65 mph and all of a sudden the Jeep started shaking uncontrollably. I thought I was going to wreck and I was in a panic. I slowed down to an unsafe speed to make it stop. Then I exited and checked the vehicle out to my surprise everything was fine. So I got back on the road and continued on. Then I had to exit and it started doing it again. This time is was so violent I thought I was going to go off the exit and crash. I have never had a lift on my Jeep or anything it is all manufacture parts. I believe with all my heart that Jeep has made a faulty front end. When I contacted them they said they didn't know how to fix it. Please recall this it is very dangerous and going to get someone killed.

- Lexington, OK, USA

Oct 012010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving over 40 mph, the entire vehicle began to shake uncontrollably. The contact stated that the front end of the vehicle shook violently. The accelerator pedal had to be released in order for the contact to regain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The front suspension bushing was replaced. Also, the contact had an independent mechanic perform a front end alignment however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to shake violently. The manufacturer was made a ware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 64,000. Updated 12/21/12 updated 01/09/13

- Naples , NY, USA

Nov 092012

Wrangler

While driving my vehicle down the interstate for about 10 min at a speed of about 72miles per hr, my Jeep started shaking from the front and back. It was so intense I felt as though I was going to crash. I have had tires blow and U joints go bad and this didn't compare. I don't drive in a rough terrain and not often at these speeds. But I felt as though I had no control. When I decelerated to 50 the shaking had stopped. There had been no previous warning of this problem. When taking it in to get looked at the dealer said there was nothing wrong. The next day I took it in for the same problem and my universals need replaced, axle seals are bad and my drive shaft needs to be replace.

- Marysville, MI, USA

Jul 262012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving at 55 mph on a slight turning radius, the right front started to vibrate, then it went to the left side, back to the left side, back and forth. Each time it transferred, it increased.the severity of the wobble effect. I had to put a "death grip" on the steering wheel to maintain control of the vehicle. The only way that I could stop the "death wobble" was to pull off the road and stop the vehicle. It was like a demon took control of the vehicle. The next day the vehicle did the same thing while I was driving with my daughter(age 29). This time on a straight section of road going at 45 mph. She thought that the tire fell off! again, the only way that I was able to stop the wobble was to stop the vehicle. Both of these incidents could have ended in serious accidents! this is a well maintained stock vehicle with balanced tires.

- Trail Creek, IN, USA

Dec 012010

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, he drove over a road bump and the vehicle shook violently. The contact had to apply immediate pressure to the brake pedal to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and a lift kit was installed on the suspension. The failure recurred approximately 14,000 miles later. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The contact also stated that various dealers offered no assistance. The failure recurred repeatedly. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Feb 222012

Wrangler

My wife had just taken our 2009 Jeep Wrangler to the dealership for routine maintenance, which included an oil change and tire rotation. On her way home from the dealership the vehicle started shaking dramatically so she pulled off the road and called me. I told her that if the tires were rebalanced then a weight might have fallen off causing one of the tires to be out of balance and told her to try and drive it home at a slow speed. She was able to get the vehicle home and the shaking did not happen again. A couple days later she took the Jeep back to the dealer and asked them to recheck the tire balancing. They indicated that one of the tires was out of balance so they fixed it and we thought the problem was solved. A couple weeks later I was driving the Jeep at about 55mph when we hit a small bump in the road and it started a rather violent shaking and wobbling in the front end of the vehicle. I had to slow down significantly to regain control of the vehicle. My wife took it back to the dealership and they drove the vehicle but said they were unable to get it to duplicate the shaking and they indicated that there might be a problem with the drive shaft. I started driving the vehicle more often in order to take note of all the conditions present when the shaking occurs and to try to diagnose the problem. I was surprised when I started to research it on the internet and immediately found several websites discussing a condition referred to as a "death wobble". the symptons described are precisely what we have experienced. There is a violent shaking and wobbling of the vehicle and you have to slow down immediately to regain control. Our Jeep is stock and no after-market modifications have been made to the suspension system. I consider this to be a significant safety issue that needs to be addressed immediately.

- Hillsville, VA, USA

Jun 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving down the highway @ roughly 55 mph, my 2009 Jeep Wrangler hit a small bump in the road. My steering wheel began violently shaking side to side. I immediately pushed on the brake and tried to safely slow the vehicle without causing the vehicle behind me to crash into me. I pulled-over to the shoulder. This vibration referred to as "death wobble" occurs each and every time I am traveling between 55 and 60 mph and, I brake or hit a bump in the road. It is an awful sensation.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Jeep "death wobble" steering wheel oscillates violently back and forth at various speeds after hitting small bump in road, car taken to Jeep dealer tsb which calls for larger steering stablizer installation done, all suspension parts found to be good including tires and balance, however, problem still occurs, fear for life for myself and family when driving car especially in winter.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA