2.8

2009 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble as shown on websites, going 50 or so miles per hour, front end wobbles uncontrollably!! uncontrollable, extremely unsafe at time, when shaking and wobble starts!!! has almost caused an accident on each of the <<<3>>> times this has occurred!!! why is NHTSA and Jeep waiting for people to be killed before something is done to help everyone on the highway with this obvious safety issue"?? very scary and frustrating. Think of your family's life as well as all of us!!! we are all at risk. How many lives need to be lost???"

- Altoona, FL, USA

Dec 292011

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway around 65 mph during rush hour traffic. I hit a bump in the road and the front end of my Jeep felt like it was violently bouncing from side to side. I could hardly keep the vehicle in my own lane. I was terrified. I got off the road as soon as possible. I got out, looked at it and saw nothing wrong. I called my husband, and he would not let me drive it home. He drove it to our mechanic, and other than my brakes needing work, he found nothing wrong. The mechanic fixed my brakes and I took it home. The next time I took it out, it did it again. My mechanic took it back, drove it himself, and the Jeep did the same thing. My mechanic did some research online and said it was the "death wobble". he tightened some bolts on the bar that aren't the right size for the vehicle.. it didn't help. Now I have a Jeep that I am afraid to drive, and really can't afford to fix, if it can even be fixed. From what I researched online, it seems to only get better for awhile, then the problem returns. Why isn't Jeep taking care of this problem" do people have to get injured or killed before they do something" the lemon law may be my only option if it can't be fixed, and I may have to keep the vehicle for some time before that could go through. Please do something about these Jeep with the "death wobble".

- Valatie, NY, USA

Dec 042011

Wrangler

I experienced a classic "death wobble" as described on Jeep problems.com. Extreme shaking from side to side and loss of ability to steer until I slowed down below 20 mph.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

I have had this Jeep in to the dealer 5 times now for the same problem. It is only 2 and a half years old. The first time I brought it in was approx 4 months after I bought the truck brand new. They have yet to fix the problem. When you drive approx. 55 mph on a highway, and possibly hit a little bump, the car will shake uncontrolably. You cannot hit the break or it gets worse but sometimes your forced to because you will crash otherwise. The whole front end wobbles to a point where you loose all control of the vehicle. The dealship stated the first time after it happened that they fixed it... the other two times they said the same thing. The fourth time they decided to say it was my tires. ( I dont know why they all of a sudden changed the problem). Rotating the tires fixed the problem for about 6 months until I had to bring it in again and they now state they can't find anything wrong with it. But apparantly there is. Very fed up with the whole situation. And very nervous driving the truck.

- Port Jefferson, NY, USA

May 102011

Wrangler

While driving on highway at approximately 55-60 mph my Jeep has started to violently shake and shudder after hitting a bump. It will only stop shaking after pulling over to the side of the road and slowing down to 15-20 mph or stopping all together. The day it started we were taking a trip to new orleans and it happened 6 or 7 times in less than 100 miles. I will be taking it in to the dealer in the morning, but after a quick search of the NHTSA database it seem this has been a regular occurrence and recurrence with Jeep for many years. Luckily we were on a secondary highway when this occurred and not on a major interstate at 70-75 mph (yet). The wife is now terrified to drive the vehicle and I'm not to comfortable with it at this point. To make matters worse we're being stationed overseas and planned on letting our son in college use the vehicle which doesn't seem like a great option at this point. We've also noticed, for the past few weeks, the manual transmission will jump out of 1st gear when taking off. I looked forward to owning a Jeep 4-door for some time and this is rather disappointing and I wouldn't have even considered buying it if I had been told this would happen, especially with less than 20,000 miles on it, none of which are off-roading miles. I believe Jeep should have to warn it's potential customers if they do not want to bother fixing an obvious design flaw and should have to remove all their "trail rated" badges from all vehicles. It's no wonder Chrysler is having financial troubles since they can't make a 4X4 that can handle a bump.

- Biloxi, MS, USA