2009 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 242016

Violent shaking of the steering wheel when the Jeep goes over a bump in the road. This is a regular occurrence. The last incident, the hazard lights on the dash panel came on and have not been able to turn off since then. Happens mostly on the highway or when the vehicle is traveling at 45-55 mph.

- Frederiksted, VI, USA

Jun 192016

My Jeep has the death wobble. I have had it in the shop twice to get it fixed and spent over $3,000 so far to fix the problem and it has not be resolved! new parts and new tires have not helped. Someone is going to get hurt or killed. It happens all the time.

- Rolla, MO, USA

May 212016

Usually after hitting a bump, the tire(s) begin to shake violently and do not stop until slowing down significantly or coming to a complete stop. From what I've researched, this appears to be a common problem with Jeep owners and can be very dangerous. This started a few months ago on my Jeep and appears to happen more frequently.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Mar 282016

Driving North bound on interstate 89 in New Hampshire approximately 65 mph, drove over a bridge abutment and the front end of my 2009 Jeep Wrangler start to violently shake. The violent shaking didn't stop until I slowed to 30 mph.

- Lowell, MA, USA

May 012015

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While driving various speeds over a bump in the road, the front of the vehicle began to shake tremendously. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that tie rod end bolts, trac bar bolts, and the ball joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 122015

Known as the "death wobble." This has occurred four times to me on the interstate traveling approximately 50-70 miles per hour. Had to come to complete stop before the severe shaking from the front end and steering wheel would cease. Very dangerous and it is a huge safety issue that the manufacturer must address and stop denying happens. They should also repair the car free of charge. This has happened to me on Sept. 12, 2015, Oct. 4th, 2015, Oct. 13th, 2015, and October 25, 2015. All incidents occurred on the highway except for the first incidence which was on a regular road going about 25 miles per hour.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Sep 212015

Travelling on a straight road at approximately 50-60mph, hit a small bump in the road. The steering wheel began to shake a little then violently and almost lost control of the Jeep. I had to come to a compete stop in the middle of the road before the shaking would stop. I was scared too death. I had the Jeep checked over and nothing was broken or worn. Now afraid to drive the vehicle. There are many complaints on this site as well as the internet for the same issue. When will this be addressed before someone gets killed?

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

May 012015

Bought a used 2009 Jeep didn't know anything about a death wobble. I was going down the interstate at about 60 mph hit a bump and the Jeep started shaking violently. Almost got hit trying to get off the interstate and stop. It does it every time I hit a bump in the road. Now I don't know what to do becasue we bought it used.

- Wlaker , LA, USA

Jun 012009

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The front axel is week and bent during off road use. Jeeps are designed and sold for off road use. When I drove down a road with some ruts and dips the front axel bent causing the wheel alignment to be permanently off.

- Big Bear City, CA, USA

Apr 192010

Wrangler 6-cyl

As the Jeep was brought up to speed it began shaking violently and out of control as the speed approached 50 mph. The shaking continued as I braked to a stop. The vehicle is unsafe to operate with this "death wobble". the problem is repeatable and happens at the same speed occasionally when bumps are hit.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 232014

I own a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Over the past year and a half, I have experienced increasing issues with my Wrangler in that it begins to shake uncontrollably when I am driving above 50 mph and hit even small bumps in the road. This past summer I had it worked on twice in order to address the issue. My car has been in storage since September and I drove it for the first time this past weekend. Today (12/23/14), I was driving on the freeway and in less than 30 miles, the car began shaking 3 different times. Each time this happens, I have to bring the car to a complete stop (obviously, this is difficult, and sometimes impossible, on the freeway). The situation becomes very dangerous to myself and the drivers around me. I have made no modifications to my Wrangler.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Dec 202014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Three times in the past week, driving on highway at about 55, started the Jeep death wobble. Had to stop in traffic to stop wobble. Still looking for issue. Tires were rebalanced, still getting death wobble.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 222014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble, the front wheels will shake violently at around 55 mph or lower speeds when I hit a bump or anything on the road that makes the tires wobble. This happens at least 4 times a week.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Mar 042014

Wrangler 6-cyl Diesel

I purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler new. I have not modified my car in any way, nor have I ever taken it "off-road or four-wheeling". in March 2014 I experienced my first "death wobble", an extremely violent, shaking of the front wheels. Since then, it has happened numerous times, resulting in repairs (that still haven't solved the problem) totaling over $2000. I'm hesitant to take it in for repairs again because no one knows how to fix this problem and I don'T have the money to keep making repairs for an unknown problem. Chrysler/Jeep needs to recognize this as being a safety hazard. I've researched this extensively and I am not the only one experiencing this problem. The only time it happens is when I'm going 40 mph or more, primarily on the highway. The only way to re-gain control is to slow down quickly and pull over or come to a complete stop (which could result in an accident on the highway). Chrysler/Jeep must recognize that this is a serious safety issue and provide a remedy/recall and monetary compensation for this problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 202013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Death wobble, uncontrollable violent shaking between 30 & 50 mph. Serious safety issue at highway speeds being unable to control the vehicle's steering out of harms way. I have had it to two different dealerships three different times and I'm told that there is nothing wrong with it. It's obvious that there is a problem and I'm not the only one with this issue. A quick internet search on Jeep death wobble will confirm this. Chrysler needs to be held accountable and fix this problem before someone gets killed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Decatur, IL, USA

Aug 202013

Cpsc: I1440019A. 2009 Jeep Wrangler XL. Consumer stated that around 32,000 miles, his vehicle developed what is called the "death wobble", uncontrolled shimmy at highway speeds which only resolves by braking and coming to a near stop. After great effort, Chrysler reimbursed the consumer $849.07 of the $ $1793.47 he paid to have the entire front end rebuilt. The dealer replaced the steering damper with an updated assembly which required different hardware, to fix the problem. The consumer filed a complaint with Chrysler for reimbursement, for $336.67. They reimbursement him for the parts only. The consumer continued to experience problems, so the dealer did a complete examination of the vehicle, and found all 4 ball joints and drag link were out of specifications.

- Pleasant Hill, MO, USA

Apr 012014

Around 30,000 miles I would notice a slight shimmy in the front end at freeway speeds when a small bump was hit. This would usually last a few seconds and then drive normal. I read some thing online about this and it seemed like it was a normal thing for this 4dr Jeep model. In early March 2014 about 39000 miles I hit a big bump on the freeway and the front end shimmy was so intense I thought the front passenger tire was flat at first it seemed like it was coming off. A few hours later this happened again before I made it home. I did research and found the references to the "death wobble" and knew that's what it was. I was thankful no one else was in the car with me. Another Jeep owner I know knew the term and had heard about these problems. Then April 1st hit a bump I could not avoid on the pot hole infested milwaukee streets and it happened again the tire felt like it was coming off and almost had accident in the construction zone I was in. Called dealer and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently Chrysler switched the dampener/brackets after the 2009 yr models when they noticed problems. Funny how that replacement I had to have done cost me $ 400+. you would think if they know there was a problem this wouldn't cost the consumer a penny. Especially since it is my life in jeopardy.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Apr 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I got what is describe as the death wobble its what the mechanics say.its all over the internet. I want to know if this problem is this big why hasnt there been a recall. Ive been told this very common. Is Jeep/Chrysler waiting till people die to admit theres a problem or just covering it up.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Aug 122013

In August 2013 my Jeep Wrangler began to develop an unpredictable, uncontrollable, violent shimmy at highway speeds. Sometimes a small bump or a lane change would set an event off. Shimmy did not stop without hard braking and coming to a near stop. Commonly referred to as "death wobble". the first attempt at repair, mileage 30,381, was to replace the factory installed steering damper with a upgraded steering damper. The new steering damper required different hardware to install. My cost, $366.77 which Chrysler reimbursed the cost of parts @ $266.77. I am $100 out of pocket for labor costs to replace this defective part which was installed at the factory! the problem of uncontrolled shimmy was not fixed! the second attempt to repair my vehicle, mileage 32,982, was to balance and rotate all tires. The problem was not fixed! the third attempt to repair my vehicle, mileage 33,902, involved replacing all four defective ball joints and a defective drag link assembly. Cost to me, $1793.47. Chrysler eventually reimbursed the cost of parts @ $849.07. On this repair I am out of pocket $944.40 labor costs to replace defective parts as installed at the factory! I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau (case #9919310) and the case is still ongoing. No vehicle operated under normal conditions should have to have major components, which affect vehicle control and safety, fail and need replacement at less than 34,000 highway driven miles! I do not read anywhere on my service receipts stating the parts that have been replaced carry any warranty. I am very concerned that genuine Jeep parts are of the same quality as originally used by Jeep to manufacture my vehicle, and will fail again within the next 30,000 to 35,000 miles, if not sooner!

- Pleasant Hill, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle would occasionally experience a violent shaking from the front wheels when traveling approximately 50-60 mph. Seemed to typically be initiated by small bump in the road. Only way to stop the shaking was to almost come to a complete stop. Less than 10 mph. Took vehicle to mechanic who determined the steering stabilizer was defective.

- Papillion, NE, USA