2010 Jeep Wrangler drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Wrangler:

2010 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 032013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Submission from constituent re 2010 Jeep recall notice from Chrysler. The consumer stated she has made several attempts to get her vehicle fixed, but the dealership would take a look at the notice, and say they would get back to her.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Mar 072013

Wrangler

I am having major problems with over drive shaking and not running right at all. My Jeep will kick itself in neutral and flash the prndl lights kick the check engine light on when you are driving. S done it at bad intersections trying to pull across the high way. I have had to a service shop and talked to many people trying to figure out what to do. It does not need a rebuild. So please give me info on any help what to try before it gets me killed.it is getting very dangerous!

- Warsaw, OH, USA

Feb 142013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Just bought the used Jeep. Pops out of 1st gear regularly (did it the first night I drove it home), so hard it forces the Jeep forward and feels like someone rear-ended me. I've nearly been rear-ended multiple times because pulling out at a parking lot or red light and folks behind me keep going and have to stop on a dime while I scramble to get it back into 1st gear. It now happens about 5 times a week. Took it to the dealership but they can't "replicate it" so it just keeps happening. There are multiple forums and websites online where folks have similar problems with 1st gear but Chrysler won't issue a recall.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jan 182012

Wrangler

Owner reports: Unexplained vehicle fire under normal driving conditions in a city road. (35-45 mph) 2010 Jeep Wrangler while moving, owner/driver noticed smoke coming out from the sides, front and inside cabin area, and the permeating smell of burning plastic and vehicle fluid(s). Immediately, the power-steering system lost functionality while owner tried to pull-over to the shoulder of the road. The vehicle failed to maneuver properly and with ease. Without any prior warning from vehicle the engine compartment area suddenly caught on fire while vehicle was still moving. Visible fire flames ensued from the hood area. Owner immediately stopped, turned off ignition and proceeded to use a fire extinguisher. That, when owner arrived at front of vehicle, he saw flames protruding from under the hood. Owner proceeded to open hood to fight fire with his own fire extinguisher. Owner had to, immediately, jump-back because hot oil/fluids (power steering, transmission coolant fluid) was gushing out in massive amounts. Despite owner's attempt to extinguish flames, the engine's compartment area, kept burning up since an uncertain vehicle oil/fluid kept feeding the fire. (not gasoline) by now, electrical sparks "were flying" on burned out wires. Owner was sternly advised to retreat by police officers. Fire dept arrived and finally put out fire. Note: Prior to this fire, no vehicle trouble was present, nor evident. Dashboard instruments did not indicate to "check engine. The "temperature gauge" was within normal range. No audible alarms or vehicle warnings were heard. Vehicle worked fine before incident. The dealer's maintenance records will show service performed 2 months before this incident. Vehicle was never involved in any type of car crash or accident. Chrysler group has claimed; "no indication of a manufacturing defect" -can nhsta please investigate this matter?

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 102012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Bought a certified used vehicle from fairfield Dodge, crysler, Jeep in muncy, pa and in 4 months of owning this vehicle it had a recall on the transmission skid plate, engine light on due to broken sensor, in need of four brake rotors and brake pads. They stated that when they serviced the vehicle when they purchased it that the rotors were cut for the last time when they certified the vehicle for sale on the lot. And now four months later it needs $1,200 worth of repairs. They state that the esim was broken by me or someone that was under the hood and that I would have to pay for the parts but not the labor the same with the brakes. I feel that this vehicle should have never been front line ready or even certified with all these issues, they are very, very poor representitives of your brand. I did not buy a Jeep to have major problems within four months of purchase. Then when I arrived the day of service they no longer had my recall part they put it on another vehicle that came in before mine. I live two hours away from the dealership and they failed to do there job.

- Clarks Summit, PA, USA

Oct 202011

Wrangler

This Jeep has never been used for any type of off roading, yet it has a burnt smell coming from the transmission. It was taken to the dealer where it was checked however they could not determine what was causing the burnt smell and smoke coming from the transmission. It has now been checked a couple of times, where only an transmission oil change was performed because they never found out the problem. I can only hope I do not become a statistic, before the problem is found.

- Tolleson, AZ, USA

Oct 162010

Wrangler 6-cyl

After traversing a national forest service road leaves collected between the transmission skid plate and the exhaust system. While driving at interstate speeds I was flagged down by another car to inform me that sparks were coming from under my Jeep. Luckily this was at night when the sparks could be seen. I stopped the vehicle and immediately discharged my fire extinguisher on the leaves. This only slowed the fire... cold water from a ice chest finally fully extinguished the fire. The debris was removed and the area was inspected with no damage noted. I was able to continue on my trip.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Jan 192012

Wrangler 6-cyl

The recent recall by Jeep on the 2010 Wrangler does not fit the situations that have been occurring. Several owners have experienced spontaneous fires, and were not in any off-road situation that could have cause debris to collect on or near the catalytic converter. They were simply driving home from work, or on the highway. One owner, who contacted me, had 16 miles on it (2012 model), and had just picked it up from the dealership. It caught on fire on his way home. Another owner had 600 miles on it (another 2012 model) and it was sitting in front of his home. Numerous have not been on the 2010 models either. The debris that "collected" under my vehicle was not burned up in the fire, and not even in that same location. I believe that this "recall" is Jeep's attempt to bandage a larger issue they are hiding from the public. Video from my fire clearly shows a liquid (tranny fluid or fuel) pouring from the vehicle from the very beginning of the fire. My feeling is that it's a tranny cooler overflow problem, or a bad fuel line connection. Here is a link to the facebook page that I created for others to post their experiences. Https://www.facebook.com/jeepwranglersthatcaughtonfire.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Sep 302010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Around 1,500 miles my brand new 2010 Jeep Wrangler "sport" with a 6 speed manual transmission popped out of 1st gear very violently - thought I had hit something. About every 100 miles or so after that incident, it will pop out of 1st gear into neutral - or - grind gears. It was happening so often, I contacted my dealer who told me it wasn't "a problem of Chrysler" maybe I wasn't driving it correctly. I started to "push" it into 1st gear with more attention, holding my hand on the shifter, this seemed to work okay, until one day, after I pushed it into 1st gear, it popped out so hard it almost broke my wrist! it seems to pop out of 1st several times a week now, driving around town (stop and go traffic); once it popped out of 1st so hard it went right into 2nd gear! its extra scary when it happens at a red light intersection and when I start to proceed, it will pop out leaving me without power in the middle of the intersection, with people behind me - I have to quickly throw it into 2nd because it won't go back into 1st. I have 23,000 miles on my Jeep now. I can confidently say it has happened over a 1,000 times!! I have started to "feel" when it might happen, while my hand is on the shifter, it seems to start to wobble - as if something isn't connected right. I have tried pulling it out of 1st gear when I stop, re-shift into 2nd gear/1st gear - doesn't fix it. I have tried to baby it, shifting softer, and even rev the engine and "peel" out - it doesn't matter, it happens no matter what I do. I'm taking it to a different dealer this afternoon, maybe they will listen to my plight. I will happily testify to a grand jury that this is a major problem with the 2010 Jeep Wrangler 6 speed manual transmission.

- Cairo, GA, USA

Dec 102010

Wrangler 6-cyl

The 2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited had been driven approximately 15 miles in stop and go traffic and for the ten minutes prior to the stop at the convenience store had been driven at highway speeds. The driver stopped at a convenience store for 5 minutes, pulled out of the parking lot, and approximately 2 minutes later the Jeep had flames shooting out from underneath the vehicle. The driver was able to get into an empty parking lot before the power steering failed and attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher with no success. The Jeep was a complete loss at approximately 3000 miles. The only unusual behavior noted before the fire was that the vehicle stalled when put into reverse on 2 occasions. The Jeep was scheduled to go back to the dealer to investigate this problem but then burned to the ground. Investigation from the Chrysler rep and the insurance rep determined that the cause of the fire was due to "debris around the transmission".

- Pearland, TX, USA

Nov 142011

Wrangler 6-cyl

2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited, vehicle pops-out of first gear during acceleration. This causes dangerous loss of power and endangers occupants. Sometimes resists being placed into first gear.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Oct 282011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The 2010 Jeep Wrangler was repaired October 26th by a Chrysler dealer for 6 speed manual transmission popping out of first gear. Approximately 30 miles after repaired, the same condition reappeared. Since 10-28-11 it has popped out of first gear 5 times for an average once every 68 miles. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed. This is not an isolated incident with Jeep Wrangler that have a 6 speed manual transmission even though Chrysler says this has never happened before. The dealership can never recreate the condition when they drive it in the parking lot so they say there is nothing wrong. The Jeep first popped out of first gear on August 31, 2011. We filed a compliant, #10425283, but felt since it is doing the same thing after a repair it should be filed again. Someone has to demand that chrsyler admit there is a problem and correct the issue.

- Damascus, AR, USA

Aug 312011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. The contact was driving 10 mph when the transmission slipped from first gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance and referred the contact back to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 7,400 and current mileage was 7,800.

- Damascus, AR, USA

May 072010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Letter re the problems experienced with a 2010 Jeep Wrangler feels that vehicle falls under the new car lemon law (entire package not imaged, forwarded to nvs-200) the consumer stated there have been repeated attempts to repair the vehicle. However, the vehicle remains defective. The consumer stated the vehicle was running sluggish and burning oil, but no leaks were found. The problem went on for several months. The consumer believed the engine was defective, but the dealer would not approve a new engine, so they kept replacing parts. The vehicle was eventually returned to the consumer, with the same problem. The dealer checked the engine again, and discovered it was burning 1 quart of oil per hour and it was determined the engine needed to be replaced. The hard top was leaking and ruined the carpet. The starter was defective. Also the transmission was exhibiting a burning smell, it would slip and wouldn't go into gear and the fluid was no longer the correct color. Also, the temperature gauge rose just under the overheating point. The radiator cooling fan was defective. Also, there was a grinding noise coming from the transfer case.

- West Islip, NY, USA

Jan 132011

Wrangler

With increasing frequency, my Jeep jumps out of first gear while accelerating away from a stop. Even with my hand on the shift lever, holding my vehicle in first gear, it will at times jump out of gear with a violent metal-on-metal collision sound. Several times this has happened when crossing or joining traffic at an intersection, and is very dangerous.

- Spring Lake, NC, USA