3.3

2010 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Wrangler:

2010 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Feb 202015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While filling up the gas tank, fuel will overflow out onto the vehicle and onto the ground creating a fire hazard.

- Mcveytown, PA, USA

Nov 252014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When fueling the vehicle, the pump shuts off and a backpressure sprays fuel out of the tank onto the person fueling. It happens at multiple gas stations and pumps. It also happens if the pump handle is set to shut off or if the person fueling is holding the handle. On most occasions the gas station is open and I am able to wash my hands. On some occasions when the gas station is closed, the fuel vapors from my hands have caused headaches while driving. I have had to decide to deal with it or drive with the windows down when it is 5 degrees outside. A little research shows, I am not the only one dealing with this issue. If it is such a well known issue, why is it not being corrected?

- New Bern, NC, USA

Feb 242015

Wrangler

My 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door overfills the gas tank every time I fill up. The pump shuts off when the tank is full and then a surge of gasoline comes out of the filler neck and the side of the Jeep, the ground and myself were soaked. Today I tried to hold the handle, but once the tank filled out came the gas. I have tried other nozzles and the same thing has happened. This just started about a month ago.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Nov 012014

Wrangler

My 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door overfills the gas tank every time I fill up. The fuel spills out all over the back part of the vehicle as it shuts off only after fuel is spilling out. I have tried multiple gas filling service stations of differing brands, and all of them overfill. This Jeep has an issue with the fuel sensor as I have checked on multiple Jeep forums and they all do this. Why isn't there a recall to have the sensor/fuel tank replaced?

- Summerville, SC, USA

Oct 012014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. While refueling the vehicle, fuel spewed back out of the fuel tank and occasionally splashed onto the contact. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Raynham, MA, USA

Feb 092012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the fuel sensor was faulty, which caused fuel to spew back out of the filler neck when refueling. The failure recurred at every fillup. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the fuel sensor was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. MA 08/05/15 updated 8/24/2015

- Oakland Gardens, NY, USA

Nov 182014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Gas will overflow at very fill up, especially when using the auto-fill lever latch on the pump handle. Many times, the gas has sprayed and soaked the attendant filling my car (I live in NJ and cannot fill the vehicle myself). The is an extreme safety hazard as many gallons have been spilled during single incidents. Most releases are approximately a 1/10 of a gallon or less but once a month or so, it is very severe and will continue to spray gas until someone manually releases the lever.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Feb 012015

Wrangler

When filling my gas tank gas sprays all over if I completely fill the tank. Gas spills out of the fuel filler pipe and goes everywhere. This is dangerous! it is especially bad in cold weather.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Gas gushes out at the end of each and every fill up.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jan 022015

Wrangler

While refueling the vehicle the pump shut off when the tank was full. There was then a surge of gasoline that came out of the filler neck and soaked the side of the Jeep and the ground. This has happened the last 3 times I have refueled. All 3 times were at different gas stations.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Dec 192014

Wrangler 6-cyl

At the end of attempting to fill our gas tank, fuel expelled from the tank back out onto my husband, the side of the car and the ground around the port. This experience has repeated itself at different gas stations and in different outdoor conditions (rainy, sunny, snow, etc.). we previously owned a 2008 Jeep Wrangler that demonstrated the same issue and a repair was made as that model year was within a previous recall range. Before we purchase this vehicle (used) we checked the maintenance and repair records and knew this issue had not been identified. So, we were surprise to experience it. We were even more surprised to learn that Chrysler is not going to assume the responsibility to repair this know defect issue for a later model (why hasn't this been fixed?) with little concern for personal or environmental safety for families when reported. All attempts to converse with Chrysler representatives about this have resulted in a "it's your problem" attitude - no recall, no warranty and wrong model year - and absolutely pushing us to take it up with the dealer to get fixed. Our dealer is an honest, hardworking business and we know it's not his issue... it's Chrysler's. Chrysler needs to make this right. This is my primary means of transportation. I drive three school-age children in this car. It was to be the car my soon-to-be licensed drivers were to have.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Nov 102014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The fuel shutoff for filling up the tank no longer works. If you fill up the vehicle, when the shutoff clicks fuel gushes out. When you remove the fuel nozzle, more fuel gushes out. I use the term gush because it is not a small amount but quite a bit of fuel.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 272014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The fuel tank always overflows when pumping gas. Gas spills everywhere.

- Federal Heghts, CO, USA

Dec 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When fueling vehicle tank fill spills out the fuel neck. Fuel spills on ground. Also have check engine light on that codes fuel system problem. Talked to dealership they advise there is no problems with the system.

- Collinsville , TX, USA

Nov 182014

Wrangler

Problem started about 5 months ago. At first I thought it was a station problem as my regular station underwent a huge makeover including new pump equipment. After trying many different stations in il and in and doing research on the net, I find it is a widespread problem. Nothing helps the huge gush of gas that pours out of my Jeep everytime I fill up!!. I've tried filling slow, filling manually (not automatic setting on pump nozzle), nothing works! I even had my husband fill it just to prove I wasn't a helpless female or dumb blonde. I don't know why it started happening. I bought the vehicle new so I know the complete vehicle history and service. After filling up yesterday and getting soaked with gasoline again, I had enough! time to complain and see what happens. This is really a serious issue and needs to be addressed. Somebody is going to get seriously injured if this is not corrected. Many times I see people around gas pumps smoking and now I not only have to watch what I'm doing, I need to make sure nobody around me is doing anything careless that could cause me harm! email was sent off to Chrysler - waiting for response as well as info from my dealer.

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

Sep 302014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

In 2012 my vehicle encountered a problem with the fuel tank assembly that resulted in gasoline spitting out of the filler tube while I was filling it up at the gas station. The dealership repaired it under warranty on December 3, 2012. On September 20, 2014; the exact same failure occurred again. Almost 5 gallons of gasoline spilled out before I could shut the pump off which resulted in my cloths being saturated with fuel and a hazmat spill that caused the gas station to shut down until it was taken care of. This is causing both a hazardous spill in the environment and a safety issue for all persons surrounding the area. I contacted my local Jeep dealer and they stated that the vehicle is no longer under warranty and that it would cost me $1,400 to repair the issue. I have contacted Jeep customer service and they stated that there is no safety recall or technical bulletin in place.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 132014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I'm owned the Jeep for about a month. I've filled the tank 4 times and twice the fuel tank has overflowed. It sounds very similar to what I'm seeing was recalled earlier.

- Pleasant Hill, IA, USA

Jul 252014

Wrangler

When filling up my gas tank with fuel on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited, the tank has overflowed. The tank cuts off at 17.5 gallons and upon cutting up it spews fuel from the top of the tank. This has cause fuel to spill onto me and all over the side of the vehicle staining the gas cap and side fenders. There is also great risk to the paint on the vehicle with continued fuel exposure. There is great safety concern for gas spilling out at a gas station. This could lead to fire or gas spilling on my small children if they were to be standing with me.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 252012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Every time I fuel my 2010 Jeep Wrangler the fuel just overflows and spews out of the tank as though there is no stopping. This is an extremely dangerous defect from the factory. This not only possesses an extreme threat to human life but an extreme threat to the environment and the property of the fuel station owners. I fear that this is an extreme fire hazard and it is certainly a safety issue with fuel emerging from the tank and spilling all over the ground. This issue happens on almost all Jeep Wrangler from 2007-2011. But I guess people have to die first before Chrysler will do anything about it.

- Loganville, GA, USA

May 122011

Wrangler

When fueling up the gas tank the filler tube valve will not stop fuel from overflowing and spilling all over the place. Occurs every time when filling up.

- Payson, UT, USA