2010 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Wrangler:

2010 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 012015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Fuel overflows when fueling up.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Nov 142014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Problem is gas spilling from my Jeep every time during fueling. Somehow, it is not triggering the automatic shut-off valve causing fuel gashing everywhere. I never had this problem before and it only started last month. I did not alter anything on my vehicle and no accidents of any type. I'm not sure where the problem is but what I know is that this failure could be a potential safety problem if not resolved.

- Fort Benning, GA, USA

Dec 052014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I recently bought a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and found that it has a fuel back flow issue. Every time I refuel, the gasoline blows back out upon removal of the gas nozzle. Gasoline gets on the ground, on me, as well as the paint and bumper of the vehicle. This appears to be a safety problem, let alone an environmental hazard. When inquiring into the fix I have been told that the entire gas tank assembly needs to be replaced at quite a high cost. (of course my Jeep is out of warranty.) due to the potential liability I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a class action lawsuit impending.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Nov 172014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Fuel spillage during fill up, happens every time. Fuel gushes out forcefully upon tank reaching its capacity.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Aug 122011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Back in 2011, my Jeep started spitting gas when filling it up. After the gas pump auto fill stopped pumping gas, it spit fuel back out at me. I have been checking with Jeep dealers frequently thinking that a Chrysler recall would come out. The latest time was this week and no recall. I decided to search the internet and found this site and decided to report the faulty gas tank.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While fueling, the auto cut off failed to stop until there was an overflow of gas spilling onto the side of the car and ground. This has occurred multiple times.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was fueling the vehicle and the fuel just overflows out of the tank as though there is no stop. After the fuel gushes out of the neck of the gas tank. The issue was once a rare issue but now occurs every single time I fuel the vehicle. I fear that this may be a fire hazard and it is certainly a safety issue with fuel emerging from the tank. It first occurred in 2010 when the vehicle was new but it was rare. The issue now happens bi-weekly and has happened weekly since 2011.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 222013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When fueling, gas will flow back out the filler neck after the pump shuts off.

- Nevada City, CA, USA

Jan 292014

Wrangler 6-cyl

2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited - fuel overflows every time I fill up. If I fill the tank to the auto shutoff point a fair amount of fuel pukes out and down the side of the vehicle. This is a potential fire hazard, and not very good for the environment. It happens at every gas station - the only work around is to not fill the tank.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Oct 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas pump does not shutoff when filling gas tank during initial fill (I do not topoff). This results in fuel spilling all over cap, left rear bumper, shoes and ground. Happens at different stations and different pumps. Is not intermittent - happens all the time. The only way to prevent this is to guess on number of gallons required and manually shutoff pump when that value is reached.

- Gautier, MS, USA

Mar 312014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Since I bought the vehicle I must be careful I cannot fill my tank. It overflows and spills creating a hazardous environment that is dangerous to my family and others. Yesterday in the pump it got seriously dangerous when the the spill ran out of control.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Dec 162013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling the vehicle with fuel, the fuel pumps do not shut off and fuel spills out. The vehicle is allowed to be overfilled. The gas tank needs to force the gas pumps to stop when full. Fuel on most occasions splashes and spills on the person fueling the vehicle. This creates safely and environmental issues. A fire is waiting to happen.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Sep 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Fuel tank spits out gas after auto fill at fuel-ups, dealer cant find anything wrong with tank. Spoke with Chrysler, without a diagnosis, they say it is a annoyance and not necessarily a safety concern.

- Centralia, IL, USA

Feb 102014

Wrangler 6-cyl

During gas fill up, when the pump automatically stops, fuel comes gushing out of the fuel fill all over the side of the vehicle and the ground.

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Jul 262013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When fueling up at the gas pumps, if you put the pump on auto, the pump handle will shutoff when the tank is full, but spews about a half gallon of fuel back up and out on the vehicle and your hand (if on the pump handle). Does it every time. Only work around I have come up with is to fuel up, close to full, then slowly feather up to full, or on lowest pump setting. Otherwise you have fuel dumping out all over, which is a safety concern.

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Feb 282014

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling up vehicle with gas, the pump shut off when full however the fuel splashed back out of the vehicle and ran down the side.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Feb 252014

Wrangler 6-cyl

When refueling, the nozzle on the fuel pump will not stop on time, allowing fuel to splash back at the person refueling. Today, the nozzle didn't stop at all, allowing a lot of fuel to spill on the ground. A person doesn't have to fill it up either. If you stop mid refill, it will still spray back at the person refueling.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Dec 252013

Wrangler 6-cyl

On going problem of gas spraying out gas fill neck when filling tank.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Dec 092013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have had my 2010 Jeep Wrangler for nearly two years, and recently the gas tank has begun to back up every time I fill up the vehicle. I do not try to "top-off" the tank, but the overflow sends fuel out of the vehicle creating exposed gasoline running down the rear quarter-panel & bumper. In some cases, a puddle of fuel forms causing a significant risk to my family, myself and others fueling at the station. This has happened consistently over the past two months. I've tried to remedy the situation by trying different fueling stations, pumps, and alternating between manual filling & using the auto fill lever on the fueling nozzle to no avail. Based on my research this is a pervasive issue on the 2010 Jeep Wrangler that should be addressed and remedied proactively rather than waiting for a serious incident to occur. Contrary to Chrysler's response of 'user error', I have been fueling different makes & models of vehicles for over 20 years without having this occur. I urge the NHTSA to further investigate this issue. I enjoy driving my Jeep, but I am now reluctant every time I have to fuel the vehicle.

- Big Lake, MN, USA

Jun 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Fuel tank overflows upon complete fill, major problem in many Jeep Wrangler over much of their production since 2007 evidently. Gasoline spills over vehicle, people and ground upon filling tank. Major safety and environmental hazard.

- Malvern, PA, USA