2010 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Wrangler:

2010 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 192012

When hitting bumps the front end of the vehicle shakes. "death wobble" lose control until I can stop Jeep.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Jul 152013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited on July 11, 2013. It had just under 10K miles on it. Within the first few days of driving it, I hear and feel a thump in the steering, while driving. It is not a normal noise from suspension working. The issue has gone on and on. Later at about 18K miles, I began having death wobble issues. I have had it to 2 shops and inspected things myself. Ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods/ends, steering stabilizer, you name it. I finally after several scary events, and continually having shops tell me there is nothing wrong, have found the issue. With 25K miles, I am having to have the steering gear box replaced. The sector shaft is shot. The steering wheel is all over the place. This is my daily driver, so unfortunately I have no option but to drive it and hope I make it to and from safely, as well as the other drivers on the road. I believe after a lot of research on the Jeep forums, that Jeep has a problem with the gear box, and that it is one of the common causes of death wobble in the jk models. I am taking mine in tomorrow to have it replaced. I have only 25K miles on it, but it is 4yrs old. So, I am sure I will end up stuck with the bill on this.

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Jan 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have a 2010 Jeep jk unlimited 4X4. I bought the vehicle used from a local dealer in July of 2013, with approx. 10K miles on it. At about 18K miles, I began experiencing the common dreaded "death wobble". I was driving down a country road with my children in the back seats. All of a sudden, while hitting a small bump in the road, the steering wheel began rapidly moving back and forth and the frontend of the vehicle was shaking violently. I quickly stopped the vehicle, checked on my now frightened children, then go out to examine my vehicle. I couldn't find anything obvious, like tie rods or ball joints. So, I slowly drove home. I went over the entire front end. Couldn't find anything. After reading a lot of forums on the matter, I found I am one of many Jeep owners that have/are fighting this same issue. I went ahead and put on a new steering stabilizer, and trackbars, as these are claimed to be the most common issues (even though mine looked fine and had no play). I continually have had the problem and have had it to shop for an alignment, tire rotations, and checking the balancing on the tires. The shop said tires and alignment were fine. We found that there was some play in the sector shaft where the pitman arm connects to the steering gearbox. Some guys are saying they have replaced theirs 3 times in 30K miles. I don't offroad, my vehicle isn't exposed to harsh conditions, where one could expect mechanical failures. I currently have 26K miles on mine, and have been trying to find out the cause, meanwhile throwing $$ and parts on it to try and find the issue. After researching and seeing the large amount of owners fighting death wobble and the component failures which cause it, I feel Chrysler should be held accountable to some level. I think they should be recognizing the problem and the large scale of it, and offering some type of solution to fix the issue.

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Mar 162014

Wrangler 6-cyl

This has happened multiple times, while driving at a higher rater of speed (anything above 45mph) and going around a curve, the front end begins to violently shake to the point that it is difficult/impossible to control and you must pull off to the side of the road. Aka the death wobble. There was not a pot hole, or anything in the way, just a regular road. I have had to do this on several occasions and on busy highways, nearly causing an accident and being rear ended since I had to stop suddenly and pull off the road. I have take it in a number of times with this problem and no solution is found, they just keep wanting to rotate my tires.

- Ronks , PA, USA

Nov 272013

Wrangler 6-cyl

2010 Jeep Wrangler air bag light came on also horn and cruise control is not functioning because of a bad clock spring. I have been reading online where this is a common problem with this vehicle.

- Akron, OH, USA

Sep 022013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While exiting a 55 mph speed zone onto a 65mph interstate highway I experienced extreme shaking in the front end. The Jeep actually hopped on the road forcing me to pull over. This has happened 4 more times in the course of 1 month. I took it to the shop at my dealer. My vehicle was in the shop for 1 week in which the transmission was replaced. The same issue began happening 3 days after I got it back. I returned it to the dealer explaining the issue and began researching on my own. I came across many instances of the same thing- death wobble. It happens when my Jeep hits 60-70 mph causing me to have to immediately stop the vehicle, usually in high speed interstate traffic causing danger to myself and other motorists. My Jeep is stock, so the excuse about being lifted does not apply to me. It seems Chrysler knows about the issue and does nothing to recall the vehicles. I'm being told the parts/repairs are not covered under warranty. This is unacceptable.

- Millstadt, IL, USA

Oct 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate, my Jeep steering wheel and front of Jeep will intermittently start shaking violently, causing me to have to slow down suddenly and pull over to the side of the road. It's very scary and I am afraid it may cause an accident because it happens so suddenly at a high speed. I purchased my Jeep about a year ago from a Chrysler dealer and within a week noticed it had a "popping" noise when backing up and then going forward. I have taken my Jeep to this Chrysler dealer 3 times to have this checked out. The first time, they told me I needed new brakes, so I had new brakes installed, but my Jeep continues to make this "popping" noise. The last 2 times I took my Jeep to this Chrysler dealer, they insist there is nothing wrong with my Jeep and they do not hear this noise. Now my Jeep has had these episodes of violent shaking and I wonder if the two problems are connected. I have seen reports of a "Jeep death wobble" and feel this is the same thing that I have had occur with my Jeep. Is there any kind of recall for this problem?

- Candler, NC, USA

Aug 102013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

This car has had 11 serious incidents of what is called the "death wobble". the car hits a bump or rough edge on the freeway or highway and immediately goes into an uncontrolled wobble of the steering wheel and the wheels wiggle back and forth. This can only be stopped by slowing down or stopping. The incident described above 1st occurred on August 10, 2013 at 2:00 pm on highway 101 in newport, Oregon after I hit a bump. It occurred on August 25, 2013 5 times at about 10:00 am on interstate 3 in Oregon after hitting a bump or rough section in the road. It occurred 3 times on highway 99 in California after it hit a bump in the road. Finally, it occurred 4 times on August 25th. This car is unreliable and unsafe to drive on any freeway. This car has never been driven off road or mistreated and has only 62,000 miles, mostly miles are freeway miles. The car will be evaluated by an independent auto repair shop and then by a Jeep dealership. As stated, the incidents described above are serious and can cause the car to out of control. The car was purchased new in July 2010. There are a number of reports on this car that describe the death wobble. They are: (1) the congressional letter of March 19, 2012 from congressman henry waxman and congresswoman anna eschoo to NHTSA's administrator stickland asking for data on the "death wobble" as well as Chrysler's response to the incidents. (2) abc's san francisco affiliates April 12, 2012 report on tv about the death wobble-both reporters also personally experienced the same incident. (3) a follow- up report on July 5, 2012 by abc in san francisco that states that there are over 600 reports on this incident. (4) Chrysler's issuance of a technical service bulletin 19-002-12 to help dealers work on the steering/wobble problem. This is a manufacturing defect that relates to the suspension.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Dec 282012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving over speed bumps or slower speed bumps I could feel a distinct "clunk" in the steering. The dealership looked at it and said they could not feel the clunk anymore. The clunk returned a few months later, now I can see there is play in the sector shaft as well as the pitman arm on the steering box.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

May 172013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vehicle violently vibrated, causing the contact to lose control of the steering wheel. The failure recurred frequently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who advised that the steering stabilizer failed. The vehicle was repaired, once the part arrived. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 36,000. The current mileage was 38,000. Updated 8/26/13

- Placerville , CA, USA

Jun 062011

While driving my Jeep I have hit small bumps or grates and the front end of my vehicle has shook violently. I almost lose control of my vehicle and have to slow down immediately to regain control. I have almost been in accidents because of this. This has happened three times since the first time. Always starts because I hit a small bump at around 50 miles per hour. I have brought my Jeep to the dealership and that can't seem to resolve the issue or recreate it. ## VIN failed ##

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

May 052013

2010 Jeep Wrangler death wobble. Started at 20K miles. Jeep wobbles at speeds above 45. Wobbles so bad you have to stop on a freeway and hold on tight to the steering wheel. Very dangerous. Dealer tried to fix with steering fix. Then changed shocks and tires. Worked for 30K. Came back even worse. Now they say they have no idea. Its all over the internet why doesn't Chrysler recall these? it is very dangerous. I am afraid to drive it. Whole front end shakes especially when going over a bump, even a small bump. Frightening.

- Louisa, VA, USA

Feb 022013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When I hit a bump in the road going 45 mph the Jeep started shaking uncontrollably and now continues to do so when I hit bumps on the passenger side.

- Alma, WV, USA

Mar 192013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When performing a left hand turn while accelerating away from a stop my air bag warning light and associated chime came on. While driving in a straight line with the wheel centered the light stayed locked in, during a sweeping right hand turn the air bag warning light extinguished. This pattern continued until I returned home and checked that the steering wheel position was in fact the cause of the air bag warning light and associated chime. Any steering wheel position left of center would immediately cause the light and chime and any position right of center of would extinguish the light within 10 seconds. I knew at this point that the steering wheel clock spring wiring assembly was faulty and scheduled a dealership appointment for verification and repair. Dealership performed a troublecode check and received dtc: B1B02-driver airbag squib 1 circuit open. Dealership further confirmed by cycling the steering wheel and code went from active to stored. The clock spring was replaced and retested similarly to my above steering wheel position check and no more lights, chimes, or trouble codes were expressed. Faulty clockspring ribbon wire assemblies are a recurring quality and safety issue with Chrysler vehicles and Jeep Wrangler jk's specifically. Per this website, actions have been taken to recall 2008-2012 RHD jk's and a customer satisfaction warranty extension has been issued for 2007 lhd jk's of 10 years, 150000 miles. This is most certainly a safety issue as a faulty clock spring can result in the driver side airbag not deploying in an accident if the proper conditions are met, and depending upon the nature of the fault in the clockspring the ESC system can also malfunction due to the lack of steering input signal to the system. Further investigation for all affected makes, models, and model years, must be completed in the interest of public safety.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Apr 102012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble. Car shakes violenmtly when hitting bump on interstate at 50-70 mph. Have to slow down drastically to stop it. Afraid someone willl hit me from behind.

- Oakdale, NY, USA

Oct 132011

Wrangler 6-cyl

I purchased my new 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport unlimited on March 02, 2011 with 4,839 miles on it. The vehicles manufacturer warranty became effective on March 02, 2011 and extended to 40,839 miles. I returned the vehicle for service for the same front end problems (vibration, play in front end, etc - though described slightly different on some work orders) eight (8) times from October 13, 2011 through June 13, 2012. During that time there were four (4) service attempts to repair the problem 10/13/11 mileage 13,411 - 6/13/12 mileage 23,352 - services recommended and performed range from tire rotation, tie rods and damper replaced, toe adjustment, and lower shearing shaft replacement. 3/07/13 mileage 34,829 - I brought the vehicle in for routine nc inspection. Inspection passed. 3/09/13 as I traveled out of town with my children we experienced a frightening and stressful time. When driving at highway, or near highway speeds, and going over a bump the front end would begin, at random times, to have so much play and the steering would shake violently making it difficult to control the vehicle. This caused me to have to slow to the side and pull off the road. This repair issue has now escalated to the point that it is a dangerous safety hazard to my children and myself. Since this incident I have discovered this a known problem with the year, make, and model of my vehicle. Below you will find two links to videos demonstrating the violent shaking which occurs due to this problem. One is a perspective from outside the vehicle. The other is from inside the vehicle. Though the gentleman in the video seems to enjoy the violent shaking I assure you it was simply a terrifying experience for a mother traveling out of town alone with her children."V=vwiv23dlhmy"V=gupyhm1pccy.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jan 182012

Owner reports: Unexplained vehicle fire under normal driving conditions in a city road. (35-45 mph) 2010 Jeep Wrangler while moving, owner/driver noticed smoke coming out from the sides, front and inside cabin area, and the permeating smell of burning plastic and vehicle fluid(s). Immediately, the power-steering system lost functionality while owner tried to pull-over to the shoulder of the road. The vehicle failed to maneuver properly and with ease. Without any prior warning from vehicle the engine compartment area suddenly caught on fire while vehicle was still moving. Visible fire flames ensued from the hood area. Owner immediately stopped, turned off ignition and proceeded to use a fire extinguisher. That, when owner arrived at front of vehicle, he saw flames protruding from under the hood. Owner proceeded to open hood to fight fire with his own fire extinguisher. Owner had to, immediately, jump-back because hot oil/fluids (power steering, transmission coolant fluid) was gushing out in massive amounts. Despite owner's attempt to extinguish flames, the engine's compartment area, kept burning up since an uncertain vehicle oil/fluid kept feeding the fire. (not gasoline) by now, electrical sparks "were flying" on burned out wires. Owner was sternly advised to retreat by police officers. Fire dept arrived and finally put out fire. Note: Prior to this fire, no vehicle trouble was present, nor evident. Dashboard instruments did not indicate to "check engine. The "temperature gauge" was within normal range. No audible alarms or vehicle warnings were heard. Vehicle worked fine before incident. The dealer's maintenance records will show service performed 2 months before this incident. Vehicle was never involved in any type of car crash or accident. Chrysler group has claimed; "no indication of a manufacturing defect" -can nhsta please investigate this matter?

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 292012

Wrangler 6-cyl

October 2009 I purchased a 2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited from southern hospitality in chesapeake, Virginia. This was my dream Jeep- lift kit, side bars, supreme stereo system, and the works. This dream Jeep has turned into a nightmare with a death wobble that keeps coming back. I share this Jeep with my 17 year old daughter who herself has experienced the death wobble, a phone call from the side of the highway that scared me to death. Below is the list of dates and mileage in which I have returned this Jeep to the dealership for them to fix, but each time they return it to me the wobble returns. I feel as if I am continually putting myself and my daughter at risk but due to a divorce my finances do not allow me to purchase a new Jeep? even though every payment has been made on this Jeep. Datemileagetheir "fix" 12/29/1227,443new steering dampener 1/6/1227,792new steering dampener 1/10/1228,045torqued bolts 1/16/1228,311torqued suspension parts 7/12/1235,767new steering dampener 7/25/1236,887new steering dampener, alignment 9/13/1238,967re-secured front suspension, bolts, rotated tires 9/26/1239,361re-placed drag link-tie rod 1/3/1342,629re-placed drag link-tie rod-gears-power steering bushing 3/13/1344,389new trac bar, new tires this last time I called Chrysler and I have a case number, but their response has been to extend the warranty on the Jeep and to tell me it is the dealers problem. The dealership put new tires on it and told me it is Chrysler's problem. I am sorry but their warranty and tires cannot replace myself or my daughter if because of their negligence and ignorance we are in a car accident.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012011

When you hit speeds of 55 mph or above and hit a small bump, my Jeep starts to shake. Took it in to Jeep and they stated that is is called the "death wobble." Correct term in the winter, in snow and in a Jeep. Third time in the Jeep dealership and the only change has been the steering stabilizer without success.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Feb 162013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While driving at 65 mph, my Jeep started shaking uncontrollably and violently. I had no control in the car, the only thing I could do was push the brakes. I pulled my 6 speed Jeep into neutral and started slowing down and letting it glide to the side of the road. Still shaking as I am slowing down, the Jeep feels like the whole front end is going to shake apart. All cars behind me slammed on their brakes because they saw I had no control of my Jeep. A state police trooper followed me to the dealership. There is no broken axles, loose tires, tire pressure is good. They said they could not find anything in the "express service center". this is a 2010 Wrangler with 75,000 miles that is driven on the highway daily for educational purposes. There must be something done about this "death wobble".

- Salem, VA, USA