4.1

2011 Jeep Wrangler drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Wrangler:

2011 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 022016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. While turning the vehicle, the tires seized and caused the vehicle to stop independently. In addition, the vehicle made an abnormal noise once shifted into drive. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Nov 232015

Wrangler

Monday, January 11, 2016 4:21 pm transmission fire. 2011 Jeep Wrangler rubicon with 81K miles all maintenance. No modifications and no off roading. Lost power on an inclined road. Then the car shut off after all the panels went crazy and then black smoke started pouring out of the hood area. Only thing that kept my car from going up in flames was it was pouring down rain and I was on an incline. The 100000 mile / 5 year power tran warranty ended the day before this happened. At the time I did not know it was an engine fire do to the rain and all the black smoke. The dealership has been no help and both did not even mention fire until I did further investigation and had a private mechanic look at it. I am in the process of waiting on an insurance adjuster to complete their investigation.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 092015

Wrangler

Twice in last 2yrs my standard Wrangler has refused to shift into geer and made a winding noise.. then stalled and refused to start for upto 10 min. It happend last fal with approx 2900 miles on it then again a few days ago with 4800 miles... not sure why or what is cause nothing is wrong according to dealership garage. Also hitting any little bump for the last 30000 miles has made Jeep jump like the rearend is flopping to one side also hard breaking causes same issue.. all suspension parts are either new or newer.. looks like someone tried to fix that issue and failed... I am afraid these issues will eventually cause an accident.

- Newton Falls, OH, USA

Apr 142015

Wrangler

Gear cable disconnects and cannot get car out of drive to put into park.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Mar 102015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I experienced the so- called death wobble last night and this morning on my way home from work. I was going just above 40mph. It feels like an unbalanced wheel? if I would leave off the throttle just a bit and keep it smooth at 40 mph it would go away. I couldn't imagine the other owners who were going much faster what they must have experienced. This needs fixed and I will be at the dealership expressing my concerns. I hope no one gets hurt by this !

- York, PA, USA

Jan 162015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, he noticed a leak from the transmission line. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the transmission fluid line was leaking and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,772.

- Early, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering) exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The dealer stated that the parts were not available for repair and were on a national back order. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Avon Lake , OH, USA

Mar 202014

Wrangler

Sluggish jolting of the car driving in 4WD, especially in reverse.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Jul 092014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2011 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to the fastener torque defect recall notice. The consumer stated he received a flier, instead of a regular recall notice. The consumer believed it was a ploy, to try and get him to sell his vehicle.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Jun 162014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway my vehicle lost power. I was able to turn the key off then on again and start it while in neutral. It was just after hitting a large seam in the highway. I later replicated the incident in a vacant parking lot and found that I could be driving bump the keys and the vehicle would shut down. Also gave a quick downward tug to my key ring simulating hitting a bump and the vehicle shut down at that point also.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Using my 2011 Jeep Wrangler (right hand drive), I deliver mail for the U.S. postal service. Was delivering mail on my rural route. Date was 4th of Feb.2014. The problem was a fire in the engine compartment. Causing damage to the wiring harness, many other wires, compartment plastics, and gas line. The cause appears to be hot oil from the transmission dipping onto the engine and transmission. I only see that the fill tube on the transmission was the leak. I heard a fire ignite, open the car hood and seen the black smoke I then put out the fire. It is now the date-March 18,2014. I have no support from Chrysler corporation for repair of my problem. Their investigation stated an investigation into the incident found no manufacturing defect that caused the incident on 2-3-2014. I have now turned this over to my car insurance company. They say I should use the lemon law. This vehicle was repaired for a bad transmission in Nov. Of 2013. I do not see why I should of had more problems. The insurance company cost to repair is $5000. If the transmission is bad I was told by the dealer for the Jeep, a new transmission would cost me personally $5000. Thank you.

- Spring Valley, WI, USA

Oct 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving up a slight incline (off road) for approximately 3-4 miles when the "hot oil" warning light came on. I was not in four-wheel drive. I was not towing any trailer or device. The road conditions did not warrant four-wheel drive operation. This situation repeated itself 2 more times the next following day. I discussed this issue with a local Jeep dealer and with the Chrysler customer rep, but with no satisfaction. They told me I needed to pay to install a transmission cooler at my cost. Sure is nice to have a "trail-rated" Jeep Wrangler that can not handle a slight incline!!!!

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jul 262013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving under 30 mph on asphalt, dash display indicated "hot oil" with an audible ding. Placed in park and allowed the transmission to cool down. First time this has happened to my Jeep, however after research this is a common issue due to the transmission cooler not doing its job. Can result in equipment failure or fire. Jeep corrects issue after a failure, however if you wait for failure then you risk fire. With 2 children and my wife in the Jeep, this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed now for safety.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 282011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Transmission is a standard shift when I let out on clutch the engine will stall. At first I thought because I was not letting out on clutch properly and had to get used to driving it.my boy friend who drives a diesel truck with a standard everyday had the incident happen to him and suggested we take it in for service.which they said they test drove and concluded no problems many times back to dealership with no luck now I'm out of warranty. The vehicle is very dangerous it stalls all the time when I sit and idle at a red light or a cross road at a stop sign when I let out on clutch it starts rolling fine when clutch is disengaged it will not take the gas then engine will sputter then die. Can someone from your Agency test my Jeep please it is going to cause me to get into a wreck. I live in mobile Alabama.

- Semmes, AL, USA

Oct 132012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I use my Jeep off roading once in a while, everytime I get off into sand whether its hard packed or soft my transmission over temp light comes on. The first time I had this happen I stooped and read the owners manual on what causes this light and what actions to take to correct it. The manual says to immediately stop the car and turn it off, which is ridiculous out in the middle of nowhere. I researched this issue and found that the transmission fluid may overheat and start a fire as it spews out the dip stick tube. This is crazy, why did they not put a transmission cooler on this car. I have had 7 other Wrangler over the years and have not had this issue or threat of a fire before. Stopping your car to prevent a fire should not be an idiot light, it needs an engineering fix.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 112012

Wrangler

Shifting the 4-wheel drive transfer case (tc) from 2hi to 4hi or 4low (or in reverse order) can cause the transfer case shifting cable (tcsc) (mopar part 52060462ag) to fail and become disconnected from either the tc or the shift lever in the cab (or both). The part?S plastic components are inherently too weak to withstand normal use. Safety risks which can arise upon component failure, if the vehicle owner and their family (children) are at a location and/or terrain where the vehicle is designed/marketed for travel (whether by recreation or necessity), and the location/terrain is: (I) subject to inclement weather (e.g. snow, ice, flooding, extreme heat); or (II) on an extreme incline which is unsafe to negotiate without 4WD; or (III) any circumstance which requires 4WD to navigate to a safe location; or (iv) the tcsc fails when the tc becomes stuck in the neutral position while shifting, and is unable to escape impending harm (flash flood)... there is obvious risk to life/safety. The owner has a right to rely on the components and reasonable safety performance for which the product is designed/marketed. Jeep is aware of the issue, and the manual fails to cite this as a possible catastrophic event, leaving the unsuspecting owner at a loss in an emergency situation. It is not reasonable for this component to fail within a few thousand miles as reported by Jeep owners. Advance adapters (www.advanceadapters.com) manufactures a tcsc which meets the criteria (product# 715596) required for this component. There is no reason that Jeep cannot do the same and/or contract with advance adaptors to supply the part to Jeep owners. We urge NHTSA?S investigation of this safety defect and Jeep will redesign the defective part and issue a recall for affected vehicles on which the part was installed as oem and to extend the warranty to replacement for life of the vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 252012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While traveling in traffic lane, attempted to shift transfer case (not transmission!) to high range from low range.this is a 4-wheel drive vehicle with a manual X-fer case. (manufacturer ok's shift while in motion) vehicle ended up coasting in neutral, and upon later exam it was found that the flimsy plastic shift cable retaining clip on the cable which connects the shift lever in the cabin to the shift arm on the X-fer case had shattered. This in turn allowed the shift cable to fall off the lever, disabling the vehicle in an active traffic lane.

- Jacksons Gap, AL, USA

May 282012

Wrangler 6-cyl

After shifting from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive, the vehicle remained in 4 wheel drive at all speeds. This resulted in a reduced steering range and, I believe, impaired the vehicle in an avoidance situation. This was especially noticed at slow speed. The Jeep dealer found a disconnected 4 wheel drive actuator cable to the transmission. A new replacement bushing was installed at the transmission. The dealer indicated that the replacement part may have been improved because it did not have the same part number as the original.

- Danielson, CT, USA

Mar 172011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that when driving the vehicle at any speed, the transmission would slip out of gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the transmission boot was replaced, however the contact was still experiencing the failure. The current and failure mileages were 56,000.

- Coldbrook, NH, USA

Jun 292011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the gear shifter for the manual transmission detached from the vehicle while accelerating from a stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the contact was advised that the component was welded haphazardly during the manufacturing process. The contact spoke to a mechanic who advised that a bolt had probably fractured from the shifter. The vehicle was traded for the 2012 model. The failure mileage was 200.

- Brookfield, IL, USA