2011 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Wrangler:

2011 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 132015

The contact owned a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. After driving 35 mph and parking the vehicle, the contact exited the vehicle. Moments later, the vehicle caught fire. The fire was extinguished by the local fire department. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to salvage yard where it was diagnosed that the fire started in the engine. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Dec 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated that the parts needed were not available for repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Pikesville , MD, USA

Jan 232015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Every time I put gas in Jeep it back- flows all over the place. Not only does it ruin the paint but it's a safety hazard splashing all over my clothes and once sprayed on my neck. A little higher it would have gotten on my face. I hear it might be the butterfly not closing so it doesn't know you tank is full or close to being full. Should be any easy recall so why isn't it "?" very unsafe please have this fixed!!

- York , PA, USA

Nov 112014

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lostine, OR, USA

Mar 022015

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Big Paraire, OH, USA

Dec 292014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility); however, the vehicle was unable to be serviced under the recall because the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 04/13/2015 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Updated 10/30/15

- Marinette, WI, USA

Dec 122014

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility). The contact received the initial notice back in December of 2014. The parts needed were unavailable. The contact stated that a follow-up notice was not received. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Feb 042015

My 2011 Jeep Wrangler has major electrical problems. The windshield wipers wouldn't turn off even after shutting off the engine. I pulled the fuse but they still stayed on. I could smell something electrical burning so I had to disconnect the battery. Also the door locks don't work and front cigarette lighter stopped working. I called the dealer and made an appointment to bring it in. While driving to the dealer the Jeep started to shake horribly when accelerating (due to electrical issues with the fuel pump). The dealer says that I need a new totally integrated power control module (tipm). The cost is well over $1000 (the vehicle is out of warranty). When I searched tipm problems on-line I found that Chrysler has tons of complaints about this but the only issued a recall on a few vehicle models and Wrangler wasn't included. There are obviously a bigger number of vehicles affected and Chrysler should recall the remaining models.

- Copiague, NY, USA

Jan 282015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The airbag light has come on to report a fault in the system. This is a major problem that Jeep Wrangler jk owners are having. The clock spring is faulty. The right hand drive version of this vehicle has been recalled for the same part. But not the left hand drive? this is most definitely a defective part as after searching on the internet its a wide spread problem and needs to be addressed. Parts failing as soon as 1/12 years. The airbag will not deploy if in an accident.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Jan 082014

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the cruise control and the horn failed to activate. In addition, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Oct 102011

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the heater core failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on several occasions where it was diagnosed that the heater core needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Owings, MD, USA

Nov 022010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have been experiencing electrical problems with my vehicle since I purchased it in November 2010. There has been systemic electrical failures that are getting progressively worse and putting my safety at risk. I have been getting the run around with Chrysler regarding the problems. - I purchased the vehicle brand new from a Jeep dealer in los angeles California. Since being purchased the following components have failed intermittently. Each part simply stopped working while I was driving the vehicle and in order to make them start working again I would have to pull over turn the car off wait a few minutes then turn the car back on (horn, lights, window maser switch, car stereo, car stereo amp, driver's airbag). Once I restarted the car it seemed like the Jeep would reset and the parts would start working again. Jeep has been replacing these items, but they would never root cause the problem. - most recently Chrysler discovered that the fuse box & electrical cluster were defective. It took Jeep 77 days to replace the 2 parts. The worse part is they tried to have me drive the vehicle during those 77 days until the parts became available putting me and any vehicle around me at risk of injury and death. This in my opinion is a serious safety hazard. - while I hope this is the end of my problems.. I think the NHTSA should investigate Jeep Chrysler's electrical cluster and components to ensure that they are worthy of being in vehicles on the road.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Was entering onto the interstate when my 2011 Jeep Wrangler completely shut off, all warning lights on the dash came on, power steering went out, and headlights turned off. Immediately maneuvered the Jeep off of the interstate where I sat in 20 degree weather for a half hour before it would start back. Two weeks later I was driving down the interstate in a rain storm and the windshield wipers completely shut off. Once again, we had to carefully get off of the interstate and try to get them working, which we failed to do. Had to wait until the storm passed before we were able to get the vehicle home. My husband is a mechanic and began driving the Jeep on a daily basis with a computer hooked to it in hopes to catch a code. Once again, the Jeep shut off all power and threw a code for the tipm module. Since then, we've had several instances where the Jeep looses all power and shuts off along with the traction control kicking off and on. We bought the Jeep and had it for only 3 weeks before the problems began. We've contacted the dealer we purchased from, several Jeep dealerships and Chrysler directly and received the run around by all of them. We contacted our local Jeep dealer where we were told that the tipm modules were a common problem and they were on back order with no estimated time of arrival, but they would call when it came in. That was 8 months ago and still we haven't received a call. I'm always nervous when I drive it now because you never know when is going to shut off in traffic and cause a wreck because you can't get off of the interstate nor can you steer easily. I really wish Chrysler would own up to this issue before it kills someone!

- Mars Hill, NC, USA

Apr 022014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Driving about 40 mph and Jeep stalls while driving, everything turns off and radio resets time back to 12, done it more than 10 times, I take it to a dealer and have the computer connected and they say no codes show up.

- Eagle Pass, TX, USA

Jul 232014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

June 23rd, after beginning to move after traffic was thining out, the engine shut off and would not start back up. After checking fluids and temp levels (electrical gauges still worked), I could only assume this was a sensor issue. After the vehicle had been towed to a dealership, the next day it was confirmed that the tipm (total integrated power module) had went bad, and needed to be replaced. This part is coded specifically for the vehicle (used ones cannot work). I was told that the part could take up to a month to replace because Chrysler was not releasing them due to an issue with them. Once this was found out, it struck me as odd seeing as I was never notified about a recall, and if this was a known issue, shouldnt one have been sent out?

- Linthicum, MD, USA

Jun 162014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway my vehicle lost power. I was able to turn the key off then on again and start it while in neutral. It was just after hitting a large seam in the highway. I later replicated the incident in a vacant parking lot and found that I could be driving bump the keys and the vehicle would shut down. Also gave a quick downward tug to my key ring simulating hitting a bump and the vehicle shut down at that point also.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Using my 2011 Jeep Wrangler (right hand drive), I deliver mail for the U.S. postal service. Was delivering mail on my rural route. Date was 4th of Feb.2014. The problem was a fire in the engine compartment. Causing damage to the wiring harness, many other wires, compartment plastics, and gas line. The cause appears to be hot oil from the transmission dipping onto the engine and transmission. I only see that the fill tube on the transmission was the leak. I heard a fire ignite, open the car hood and seen the black smoke I then put out the fire. It is now the date-March 18,2014. I have no support from Chrysler corporation for repair of my problem. Their investigation stated an investigation into the incident found no manufacturing defect that caused the incident on 2-3-2014. I have now turned this over to my car insurance company. They say I should use the lemon law. This vehicle was repaired for a bad transmission in Nov. Of 2013. I do not see why I should of had more problems. The insurance company cost to repair is $5000. If the transmission is bad I was told by the dealer for the Jeep, a new transmission would cost me personally $5000. Thank you.

- Spring Valley, WI, USA

Feb 032014

I started my Jeep this morning in my driveway with the factory remote start, 10 min later I walked out of my house and saw flames and smoke coming from my drivers side door. A car driving by had stopped and called 911. Another neighbor ran over with a fire extinguisher and we were able to get the fire in control before the fire department got there. The driver side door is completely destroyed and melted, the window is gone. The roof, seat and surrounding area are also damaged. The fire appeared to have started somewhere in the driver side door. I called Jeep twice today thinking they would be concerned and responsive, but I was told it would be 2-5 days before they could have someone come out and inspect the car. In the meantime I wait carless...thank goodness my 2 children were not in the car when it happened. I did some research this evening and found the exact same thing happened to a couple in montreal last January and found reports of this happening 2 other times with the exact same make, model & year Jeep.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Nov 192013

Wrangler 6-cyl

My clock spring is inop there is a recall for this on right side drive Jeep well mine is a left side drive with the same issues that the right side drive has why isn't it a recall for all clock springs they are the same part number for both side drives please fix this as it also affects my horn and airbag. Thank you

- Tomsriver, NJ, USA

Aug 162013

For some time the vehicle has had an intermittent electrical starting problem, which results in a personal safety issue. Most times the vehicle starts properly. At times, however, when the key is inserted and turned, nothing happens. Sometimes the vehicle can then be started using the remote start and then operated by quickly inserting the key and turning it. At times neither the key nor the remote start will work. Typically, by alternating between attempts to use the key and remote start, the vehicle can be started within 15 minutes. The vehicle was recalled due to this issue and was recently taken to koons tysons Chrysler in Virginia for service. However, after the vehicle was returned with a ¿'software upgrade¿ to correct the issue, the problem continues. It was again taken this week to koons tysons Chrysler to fix the problem, but the service center says it cannot replicate the problem on its lot and therefore won¿¿T do anything more. It says it completely believes there is an issue, but wants to return the vehicle, wait until the problem occurs again, and then have it towed to its service center for appraisal. Obviously, this is not a practical solution. It could present a dangerous situation of having my wife stuck who knows where (a dark parking lot, railroad crossing, etc.) with a vehicle that won¿¿T start. This is a known issue for a vehicle under warranty and Chrysler needs to step to the plate, take responsibility, and fix the problem. In the meantime, I'm driving a rental car at my expense as Chrysler will neither pay the rental bill nor fix its vehicle.

- Great Falls, VA, USA