2011 Jeep Wrangler seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Wrangler:

2011 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 232015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning indicator illuminated and the horn failed. The dealer diagnosed that the clockspring malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure; however, the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V288000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 80,997.

- Washougal, WA, USA

May 012016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated and the horn functioned sporadically. The dealer diagnosed that the clockspring malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 16V288000 (air bags); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was approximately 79,000.

- Clayton, NJ, USA

Jun 182016

Wrangler

Airbag light came on today 4:10pm 06/18/16 while driving at approx 55mph in traffic, straight interstate in Chicago, il and has stayed on. Stopped by a Jeep dealership to check codes (I was away from home dealership), service dept was closing but svc mgr scanned for diagnostic code - said it was an airbag code/ airbag malfunction. My dealership was closed. He turned off Jeep and turned it on again while stationary in Jeep dealership service dept, warning light came on again and stayed on all the way home, approximately 2 1/2 hrs or 150 miles. I received 2 emails on May 27, 2016 from NHTSA re: Airbag recalls on Jeep Wrangler but my VIN/model wasn't listed.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Sep 132014

Wrangler

For the past 2 years the passenger airbag light has been illuminate on my dash. I do not know why this is. It turns on/off randomly wether someone is sitting in the passenger seat or not. Additionally for the past 3 years or so the functions/buttons on the left side of the steering wheel go in/out of function. For the most part they don't work 99% of the time. It doesn't affect the driving or anything dangerous but it is annoying that these buttons don't work most of the time. As far as the passenger airbag light, this concerns me should there be some sort of accident. I have looked into this and people have spent a good amount of money and the light still is on. I saw that in June, 2015 and investigation was started regarding this and wanted to put in my two cents. I hope that a solution is found for this.

- Portage, MI, USA

May 162016

Wrangler

Clock spring failed causing the airbag to stop functioning. This has already been recalled in the 2011 right hand steer vehicles and in the 2008-2010 model year left and right hand steer Wrangler apparently it is still a problem

- Acton, ME, USA

May 232016

Wrangler

My airbag light came on in my 2011 Jeep rubicon. A recall was issued two days after I called both Chrysler and by dealership complaining about my issue. I was told that I was basically on my own to cover the cost of the replacement clockspring. Recall information "(fca us llc) is recalling 394,258 model year 2007-2010 Jeep Wrangler jk vehicles manufactured March 2, 2006, to August 13, 2010." This does not cover my 2011 Jeep which was manufactured September 2010. A month from the cut off date. My Jeep has the same engine as the the 2010S unlike the later build 2011 Jeep. It also has the same exact clockspring as well.

- Lehi, UT, USA

May 042016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated sporadically and chimed. The chime indicated that the air bag needed to be deployed; however, the air bag never deployed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bags clock spring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The manufacturer stated that the failure was related to NHTSA campaign number: 13V176000 (air bags). The manufacturer stated that because the recall indicated a right-hand drive and the contact had a left-hand drive, the repair was not covered under the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 83,454.

- Essex, MD, USA

Apr 292016

Wrangler

Air bag light going on and off ever 2-4 minutes with a chime each time. Light goes on and of weather in motion or at a standstill. Had mechanic scan for obd codes. Code came back as B1B02 clock spring failure. RHD Jeep have been recalled for this exact issue but not lhd. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed to all Wrangler of these years and not just the RHD.

- Sutton, MA, USA

Mar 012016

Wrangler

The clockspring on my 2011 Jeep Wrangler (left handed drive) has failed causing the airbags to become dysfunctional and airbag light to engage. Fca has recalled right handed drive Jeep Wrangler 2007-2012 under the attached recall notification. Fca has also recalled 2007 lhd Jeep Wrangler for this same issue. The root cause of these recalls was determined to be dust accumulation in the grease of the clockspring as seen in the attached recall notification. The clockspring part in both lhd and RHD variations of this model Jeep Wrangler include a similar, if not the same, clockspring part. The amount of dust that a Jeep Wrangler is subject to does not correlate to the position of the steering wheel and clockspring. I would suspect that a vehicle with less that 70,000 miles and 5 years of use should not have airbag failure. I have contacted my local Jeep dealership which then instructed me to contact the fca Jeep warranty/recall 800 number in addition to the fca headquarter's 800 number. After speaking with a representative at the fca headquarters hotline I was told that the recall does not apply to my lhd 2011 Jeep Wrangler and the repair was to be made from out of my pocket. As of June 2015 there has been an open investigation into this issue for lhd Jeep Wrangler as seen in the link below. www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/Chrysler/2015/06/23/NHTSA-probe-Jeep-Wrangler/29150093/

- Southbury, CT, USA

Apr 012016

Wrangler

The vehicle displays an airbag warning light and chime that may indicate a failure of the clockspring wiring in the drivers side air bag circuit. ODI investigated the RHD (right hand drive) Wrangler for a clockspring issue under PE11-019 which led to NHTSA recall 11V258 on model year (my) 2008-2012 RHD Wrangler as well as an extended warranty campaign on my 2007 lhd Wrangler vehicles. Current investigation: PE 15-025 has the same symptom as my lhd Wrangler.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Feb 012016

Wrangler

On my 2011 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2007-2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008-2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying."

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Apr 212016

Wrangler

"takata recall" recently, on a dry, sunny, moderately warm day I was driving a normal speed on a normal road, downward sloping, at a low speed and the airbag warning light chimed and illuminated. It's been four days and the light remains on, and continues to chime. I have owned this Jeep for two years and have not had any collisions and the Jeep has not been offroad, nor did I have a child in the passenger seat, where an airbag may sense a small passenger. This is a very expensive repair from what I'm finding on forums but also a safety device in a vehicle that should be covered under a warranty beyond a standard 3yr/36K warranty. Seatbelts don't expire nor should an airbag in a vehicle.

- Essex Jct, VT, USA

Apr 212016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 40 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the clockspring assembly failed. The VIN was not available. The maufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 64,800.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Mar 212016

Wrangler

Clock spring is defective. The airbag light and warning chime comes on and goes off. The same part number was recalled on all 2007 Wrangler and 2008-2012 right hand Wrangler. However, the 2008-2012 left hand Jeep weren't included?

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Sep 302011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The contact also stated that the roof leaked into the vehicle, which created electrical failures. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they replaced the stereo. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000. Updated 05/24/16

- Clinton, MI, USA

Jan 272016

Wrangler

I have a bad clockspring which has been recalled on right handed Wrangler for the same year but has not yet for the left handed Wrangler and it is causing my airbag light to illuminate while I am driving and while I am staying still and could affect my airbag from deploying when needed.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 122012

Wrangler

Continuing failure of electric clock spring/ cruise / horn systems. It has been to dealer 4 times and "fixed" and then re-fails within a short amount of miles. 6314, 9057, 10730, 18456 and is currently failing again(22000). Back to dealer as soon as I can schedule. I will first notice that the cruise control will not turn on and some times the horn will not work. However sometimes if I can honk the horn and then the cruise control will start working again; maybe for a few 100's of a few 1,000 miles. I am worry about the possible failure of the air bag if this keeps up. Please advice. My dealer keeps trying, but Jeep need to resolve! thanks. I will upload copies of my prior 4 service documents.

- Three Rivers, CA, USA

Dec 092015

Wrangler

"on the 2011 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2011 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2011 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying."

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Jul 022015

Wrangler

I currently own a 2011 Jeep Wrangler that is experiencing some electrical issues. Currently the airbag light is on and there is a chime indicating such. This chime occurs approximately every 1 to 2 minutes. At about the same time the airbag light problem occurred, the other controls on the steering wheel such as the horn, cruise control and radio controls stopped functioning. I contacted Jeep (Chrysler) about the issue and was told they would contact me within 24-48 hours concerning this issue. Approximately 10 days went by and I had not heard back from Jeep. I contacted Jeep and was told that they will not fix this issue. I explained to them the safety concerns with not having a working horn and a questionable airbag. This did not seem to be an issue that they were to concerned about. I've been in law enforcement for several years now, and I cannot stress enough about the importance of having a functioning airbag. This is coming from some of the accidents that I have either witnessed or worked as an investigating officer. I have found through research that several earlier model (2007-2008) Jeep Wrangler have been recalled for similar issues. This is a recurring problem and I am sure you have received complaints on this issue in the past. This is my second Jeep and the company replaced the part that was causing the issue before. It was a 2007. This part is referred to as a clock spring and cost over $500 to replace. I would like for this issue to be addressed before someone is gravely affected.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Aug 252015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag clock spring wiring assembly can lead to non deployment of the front driver side air bag. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V528000 (air bags). The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 11/04/15

- Dunbar, NE, USA