3.4

2011 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Wrangler:

2011 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 122016

Wrangler

We have the Jeep death wobble. It has happened 3X's since purchase, 06-21-2016 starts when going over bumpy road, maybe 40-45mph. Violently shaking, difficult to control steering. Bounces me out of the seat, teeth rattling, feel like windows will break. Stops shaking when I touch brake pedal. Very scary. Cruise/speed control only works part-time and radio buttons 5 and 6 do not light up like 1-4. I fear they have been "bounced apart" maybe. I live in butler co, pa the birthplace of the Jeep. Jeep must come through and fix this. This is embarrassing for Jeep people let alone dangerous. Help!

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Jun 082016

Wrangler

Death wobble- Chrysler/Jeep as long covered up the issue with their Wrangler "wobbling" uncontrollably when driving over the slightest bump in the road. This is due to faulty wheel bearings/traction bars/ and steering. This issue has been going on for year and needs to be fixed correctly and cheaply. Cheap parts and fixed cause death.

- Euless, TX, USA

Jun 062016

Wrangler

Death wobble. Any time a bump is hit with the Jeep above 35mph, it goes into the death wobble, which doesn't go away until the car is stopped. I've tried fixing everything possible, but it still happens. I understand this is a common problem, but it certainly seems life-threatening, as the Jeep feels like it is going to break into pieces!

- Tea, SD, USA

Feb 132016

Wrangler

Traveling on highway over 45mpr, over minor bumpy entrance to overpass, my vehicle experiences the known "death wobble". nbc news I-team reported on this very same Jeep manufacturing issue. My rubicon immediately began shaking uncontrollably and I had to slow down to approximately 15 mpr. The first time it happened. Now, it happens all the time in the same area. The road is straight, no turns and the "bumps" are not pot-holes. I have to hang on to the steering wheel very tight and pray no car is next to me. My tires are aligned and I have them inspected regularly. My dealership said it's a known problem and they actually have a "couple of roads by the dealership they test drive their Chrysler & Jeep vehicles with that problem because it always happens." Today was the latest event and I contacted my Jeep dealership.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jun 092015

Wrangler

6/9/15 had tires replaced & aligned merchant's tire. 1 day later tire wobbling took it back, they claimed they couldn't assist. Took it to a local shop & balance it 3 times in 2 weeks. Noticed while driving, commuters stay about a half a mile away from me & flash lights. Took it to the dealership marlow hts, they claim they couldn't find anything wrong. Tire still wobbling took it to wal mart auto, while trying to check, they broke my wheel lock! looking for a trustworthy place to fix my vehicle. No one seems to want to work these days. A friend just sent this site & I learned of this death wobble thing in Jeep Wrangler. I have been dealing with this for 7 months now and I'm livid!

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 112015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced violent shaking and an abnormal noise while driving 60 mph. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front driver side router and brake caliper needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The technician diagnosed that the springs were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 88,000.

- New Bethlehem, PA, USA

Oct 092015

Wrangler

Twice in last 2yrs my standard Wrangler has refused to shift into geer and made a winding noise.. then stalled and refused to start for upto 10 min. It happend last fal with approx 2900 miles on it then again a few days ago with 4800 miles... not sure why or what is cause nothing is wrong according to dealership garage. Also hitting any little bump for the last 30000 miles has made Jeep jump like the rearend is flopping to one side also hard breaking causes same issue.. all suspension parts are either new or newer.. looks like someone tried to fix that issue and failed... I am afraid these issues will eventually cause an accident.

- Newton Falls, OH, USA

Sep 152015

Wrangler

Took 2011 Jeep jk to car wash. Afterwards "sway" bar light started to flash. Shut car off, restarted and ran through disconnect procedures- put trans/diff in neutral and hit disconnect button- light went off. While driving Jeep to work next morning, all the lights on the dash board flashed and car shut off. Jeep would not start. Tipm was fried with disconnect motor. Water had got into connection by sway bar disconnect motor. They are not water tight. Have read other stories of happening during rain storms.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jan 052015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 70 mph, the rear of the vehicle vibrated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear axle seal was leaking and the bearing, brake pads, emergency and parking brake shoes, and the wheel seal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,151.

- Whitehall, MI, USA

Jul 182015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at 60 mph and going over a bump, the vehicle started to shake. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Canyon, TX, USA

Jun 272012

Wrangler

Jeep goes into a death wobble at highway speed with no warning very difficult to handle, must decrease speed drastically or pull off road toget Jeep back under control

- Throop, PA, USA

Mar 212015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving on the highway my Jeep all of a sudden went out of control, I could not control the steering wheel and I was all over the road. I crossed out of control over 2 lanes on the highway, making other cars swerve to get out of my way!

- Levittown, NY, USA

Mar 102015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I experienced the so- called death wobble last night and this morning on my way home from work. I was going just above 40mph. It feels like an unbalanced wheel? if I would leave off the throttle just a bit and keep it smooth at 40 mph it would go away. I couldn't imagine the other owners who were going much faster what they must have experienced. This needs fixed and I will be at the dealership expressing my concerns. I hope no one gets hurt by this !

- York, PA, USA

Mar 022015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I guess the problem is commonly known as the "death wobble ". I see it now as I search the internet.

- Thermopolis , WY, USA

Jul 202014

Wrangler

Traveling about 50 mph in sweeping left turn on smooth, paved road, vehicle began to shake violently, did not want to respond to hard braking and continued until under 25 mph. Tires were close to being worn out, they were replaced with new alignment. Problem has continued with new tires. Jeep was at dealership 3 days and they could not find anything wrong, I want to add they were concerned and very nice but found no problem. Driving home from dealership it happened 3 times and has happened numerous times since. Dealership suggested new tires were bad, but this has now happened on 2 sets of tires. The problem occurs with such violence it is unsafe to driver, passenger, and other vehicles sharing the road. This also happens on roads with bumps on straightway such as might be found in right lane where heavy trucks cause surface deformaties. Our Jeep has no modifications to any part, steering, suspension, shocks, or has tires not recommended for this vehicle.

- Patrick Springs, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While driving about 50mph and then begin to slow down on a major highway. The steering wheel begins to wobble back and forth violently and the whole vehicle shakes like crazy, and the muffler sputters like it is about to shut off. I have had to forcefully steer to the shoulder of the road and my vehicle continues to shake, the only way to get it to stop is to turn it off and restart it. This also happened when my vehicle was sitting in my garage and I turned it on to warm it up, it starts to shake and sputter after about 30 seconds of being turned on. I've heard it called the "death wobble" and I understand why. This has happened numerous times over the last 4 months. The condition seems very dangerous to me.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Dec 012013

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated while driving between 35-75 mph, the vehicle vibrated violently on hard surface roads. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle had been taken to a dealer, where it was repaired several times, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Tuscon, AZ, USA

Feb 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I started feeling a warble when I would hit a bump on the road, took it into a les schawb they told me it was warn tie rod ends, so I then took it to Jeep dealer 'lithia" in eugene Oregon they inspected it and said nothing was wrong. Today I was coming home on hwy 126 and after I hit a part of the road that is rough, the Jeep totally went out of control the whole thing was shaking so bad I had everything I could do to slow it down and pull off to the side of the road, it probably would feel like if all 4 tires popped at once. It scared me so bad, I was just shaking. I got out looked at all the tires, and underneath, L seen nothing wrong so I put on my 4 way flashers and drove home the last 3 miles at a crawl. I will contact Jeep again on Monday and tell them there is a problem, the power steering has also went out twice on this and had to be fixed.

- Walton, OR, USA

Mar 162013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that when driving 60 mph over a road bump, the front end of the vehicle would shake violently to the point that the contact would almost lose control of the vehicle. In order to correct the failure, the contact had to merge to the shoulder and stop the vehicle completely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who performed a diagnostic and stated that he needed to replace all four tires. The tires were not replaced. The manufacturer was notified and recommended that the vehicle be taken to another dealer for a second diagnostic test. The failure was mileage was 22,000. Updated 4/11/13 the dealership and manufacturer referred to the problem as the death wobble. Many speculate it is caused by the track bar, alignment, steering and suspension components, or the tires. The consumers vehicle is currently backed by a five year power train warranty. However, the dealership believed the tires needed to be replaced, at his cost. The consumer did not believe the tires were the issue.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 192012

Wrangler

While traveling on a highway or a high speed service road, my Jeep will begin to shake tremendously. I have researched and found this is known as the "death wobble." I am a younger driver and when the first incident happened, I began to freak. Although not very many accidents actually occur I am still scared that it will happen again. Sometimes I can feel it coming on but nothing ever happens. This has happened 3 times in a week and a half, once at 67mph, once at 60mph, and once at 55mph. This is a very scary event and I hope to get it fixed soon. I wish that you would take the time to look over this incident and fix it. Once again being a young driver this is very scary. I have had my Jeep for a year and 2 months and this is the first time it has happened.

- Crandall, TX, USA