CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 192016

Wrangler

Windshield wipers stopped working on the highway in the middle of a thunderstorm, creating a hazardous situation. Took the vehicle into the shop, had the fuses checked, wiper motor replaced, windshield wiper switch tested, and nothing fixed the issue. The issue turns out to be a faulty tipm (totally integrated power module), and will cost over 1200 dollars to replace. This appears to be a widespread issue with Chrysler vehicles.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Sep 102016

Wrangler

Wipers turns on automatically when in the off position, same with ac, stereo resets by it self. This happens no matter what the shift position is. No matter if the car is running or in parking mode.

- Selinsgrove, PA, USA

May 082016

Wrangler

The sudden failure of turn signals, windshield wipers, headlights, taillights, brake lights and all controls on the two stalks and the steering wheel. I do not know when it happened and realized it when I noticed the lack of sound and blinking dash light on using the turn signal. No fuses were blown.I do not drive in the dark much.I am having it repaired today. The service writer said it was a computer. How can Jeep tie so many essential controls together? if it had occurred at night in the rain it could have been catastrophic. Perhaps it has already happened to someone.

- Hood River, OR, USA

Apr 092016

Wrangler

On 04/09/16, the wipers stop working while driving, and drivers side headlamp stays on continuously, and on high beam. Have to unhook battery terminal in order to get light to go out. Was told the tipm totally integrated power module has failed.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Wrangler

Tpim module has failed causing several strange issues with the car. Most notable for safety is the front windshield wiper pump will not work.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jan 152016

Wrangler

2012 Jeep Wrangler have had intermittent trouble for well over a year. Turn car off and headlights stay on. Finally figured out that if I turn the car back on and roll forward a little I can sometimes turn lights off. Same problem turning the headlights on. Rolling the car a few inches usually corrected the headlights. Windshield wipers will start on their own or stop during use with no warning. This began in late 2014 but the problem was so intermittant we could not duplicate it on demand until August 2015. The dealer replaced the multi function switch and wiring harness but before we even drove out of the parking lot both the lights and windshield wipers were doing the same thing. They kept it a few days and "sealed the cluster". didn't have a problem for a few weeks and the car is now 700 miles away at school with daughter. Around Sept 2015 intermittent issues again but not able to duplicate at dealer. Recently (Jan 2016) the problems are daily and include the headlights going out every time the car makes a turn and then come back on a few seconds later. In addition the turn signal cuts off. Windshield wipers have a mind of their own but the lights are the most dangerous problem. Now that the problem is constant it's going back to a dealer but because the car is with daughter away at school it will be a different dealer. We are uncertain about tail lights because this occurs while driving and intermittently but the headlights and turn signal going off while driving through intersections has made this issue a major accident/injury risk.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Sep 112015

Wrangler

Door locks will not lock using fob or rocker switch / windshield washer will not work/ heater will not work/ radio dims when headlights are turned on/ dome light will not turn on upon opening door

- Palos Verdes Est, CA, USA

Oct 022015

Wrangler

Just over a month ago I was going to work, and noticed that my turn signals were not working. I tried moving the turn signal up and down to no avail. I also noticed that my headlights would not come on. I pulled over and thought maybe a fuse went bad or something and found every single fuse to be fine. I then also noticed that the digital compass readout on the dash was not functioning, and I could not scroll through the menus with the main computer using the steering wheel controls. The hazard lights would work properly...and the lights would flash properly when I locked the doors with my key fob...which told me that the circuit was still working. After about 25 minutes of fiddling everything suddenly started working again. The next day, while at work I went to lunch, and when I returned to work as I pulled into the parking spot, my windshield wipers randomly turned on without me turning them on...and I could not get them to turn off...even with the engine off. I had to disconnect the battery to get them to go off. I took it to the local Jeep dealer and they found that it was the tipm I figured well...now I do have a new unit and should be fine. That fantasy was destroyed yesterday when I went to go home from work, and suddenly my lights would not turn on...then got stuck on and couldn't turn them off...and my windshield wipers would not turn on at all...and the turn signals would not function...all while going down the interstate. I live in Virginia, and we are in the middle of a huge rain event, so the wipers and lights for sure needed to work in order for me to drive home. I had to disconnect the battery to get everything to turn off. After doing that...the headlights will not turn on...and the wipers remain the same and not working. Needless to say I had to get a ride home after I made it back to work...having to leave it at work.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Sep 172015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility); however, the part was unavailable to perform the repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lakeland , FL, USA

Jul 022015

Wrangler

The windshield wipers, directional signals, horn, steering wheel radio controls, headlights failed and rear back power window would not go up- this happened while driving in the rain.

- Smithfiled, RI, USA

Oct 012013

Wrangler

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited with 40K miles. Around 15K miles, I started experiencing issues with the driver side and front windshield heating/defrosting not working. Heating works on the passenger side, but not on the driver¿'s side seating or windshield areas. This issue creates a comfort problem during cold days due to no heat on the driver¿'s side¿¦ but more importantly, creates a safety issue because the front windshield does not defrost properly without sufficient heat, creating unsafe driving scenarios. This issue was intermittent at first, but over the past 20K miles has become a frequent comfort and safety issue. This defect/issue/design flaw is a known problem with the current Wrangler unlimited as a number of others I know with the same vehicle experience this issue and you can find endless complaints of the issue on line. My dealer also explained they receive frequent complaints for this problem. I brought my Jeep to the dealership. They explained I need the heating core replaced, and due to its location behind the dashboard will cost me $1000+ to repair, primarily due to the labor required to pull off the dashboard and other car parts to reach and replace the heating core. This issue should be a recognized safety recall or service bulletin by Jeep/Chrysler with no out of pocket repair expense for the vehicle owners who expect to receive safe, high quality, well designed products from Jeep/Chrysler.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Apr 102015

Wrangler

At the beginning of winter I notice the defrost/heat in the Jeep was not putting out a lot of heat. It would barely defrost the windshield. With the frigid weather we have had, I just had it checked. I was told the heater core, and the radiator would need changed because they were plugged. I feel sorry for anyone that owns a Chrysler product. This still does not run right after the head was changed, no dummy light comes on, so none of the mechanics will believe me that it is not right. As you can see by the mileage it is out of warranty, the issues started right after I bought it. It is not the dealerships fault, it is the company. Do something to get the issues fixed!

- Cadiz , OH, USA

Apr 032015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 282015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility) and stated that the parts were not available for several months. The dealer did not give a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hermiston, OR, USA

Jun 022014

Wrangler 6-cyl

A small storm manifested while driving the vehicle with the top down. The vehicle was pulled off the road to put on the soft top. At that time I realized that I no longer had headlights, turn signals, or windshield wiper capabilities. The issues were discovered to be a result of a malfunctioning clock spring. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's headlights, turn signals, and windshield wiper capabilities. There is no indicator on the dashboard to alert the driver that these capabilities are no longer available.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 082014

Wrangler

Purchased my Jeep Wrangler in may of 2012. Since purchase there has been numerous instances of the wipers turning on when in the off position. Wipers make a single pass and stop. This problem occurs at all speeds. It also occurs at times when the turn signal is activated. I brought in for service and the dealer replaced a switch. But now the problem is back again. Also, when stopped I am unable to view videos on the dvd player. The player has been replaced, but now it is doing the same thing.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jan 302014

Wrangler 6-cyl

My son purchased (leased) his first new vehicle (Jeep Wrangler) in mid-2012. It developed a problem with the windshield wipers as they will not turn on. This concerned me as this could be a safety issue if he were to drive the Jeep in snow or rain. Initially, the dealer's service department mis-diagnosed the problem and we were told the wiper motor needed replaced. Once that was replaced, we are now told the tipm module is bad and the part is on national backorder. I called Chrysler for help (minimal support from dealer as they asked me to follow-up) and it appears the order # the dealership provided me with was for the wrong part. Now, the dealership told me they are expecting a shipment of the part in may, 2014. I called Chrysler back and they are now working to expedite (again) but it may be a week before we even have a date. In the meantime, it is unsafe to drive the car and the dealership will not offer a loaner. Instead, they asked me to contact Chrysler to complain about this to try to expedite the part.

- South Charleston, OH, USA

Jan 182014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While stopped at traffic light intersection, a loud pop sounded and the windshield exhibited a crack. There was no stone or any other projectile that hit the windshield. It was cold outside and the defroster/heater was on. The cause of the windshield crack appeared to be a thermal shock. As the car was driven further with the defroster on, the length of the crack continued to increase and also move into new directions.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Mar 142013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Windshield wipers come on randomly while driving. Service states there is nothing they can do. Check engine light also on. Service repaired cracked cylinder head. 5 days later check engine light is back on.

- Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Feb 262013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Purchased my Jeep Wrangler in may of 2012. Since purchase there has been numerous instances of the wipers turning on when in the off position. Wipers make a single pass and stop. This problem occurs at all speeds. It also occurs at times when the turn signal is activated. I brought in for service and Jeep will not acknowledge problem unless they can duplicate during the service visit.

- Amityville, NY, USA