CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Oct 152014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While cleaning the vehicle and removing the floor mat, the floor was saturated with water. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the tape foam needed to be replaced and door seals needed to be replaced. The doors needed to be readjusted. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The failure occurred approximately 20 times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000....updated 03-10-16

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Nov 032015

Wrangler

ABS and traction control light came on while making a left turn. The right side tire brake engaged and lost control of vehicle and hit a brick sign with my right side at about 25 mph. The air bags failed to deploy, and my front end is completely destroy.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Aug 182015

Wrangler

When it rains or I wash the 3 pc hard top leaks heavy rain and I have 1-2 inches of standing water in floor pans I have looked online on Jeep owner forums and this is a very common problem wet musty smell during hot weather. Not good at all

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jul 042012

Wrangler

2012 Jeep Wrangler was a "postal vehicle", in that the steering wheel was on the right-hand side of the vehicle. Driver error occurred, in that driver was on right shoulder of two lane highway, but pulled out into traffic to perform "a 180" degree turn in order to reverse direction. Driver did not properly yield the right-of-way. When entering highway, vehicle was struck by oncoming, speeding car. Crash resulted. Impact was so severe that female passenger in back seat who was wearing her seat belt was ejected (and killed). Seat belt was torn due to force. Roof cover was insufficient to stop ejection. Male passenger in back seat, also belted, was also killed. Injuries to two passengers in front seat. Possible defects include the design defects inherent in right-sided steering wheel, and also the seat belt shearing, plus roof cover failure during crash.

- Colebrook, NH, USA

Feb 182015

Wrangler

I was getting off of the highway from about an hour commute home when the driver door caught on fire. I put the vehicle in park, I tried to unlock the driver door to get out, and I couldn't. tried to get out the passenger, couldn't. I took off my jacket, and tried to smother the fire. It didn't work. I crawled out the back door (not locked for some reason). People stopped to help, we were able to open the driver door from the outside and threw snow in the door until the fire stopped. Firefighters then disassembled the door to make sure the fire really was out. My car was towed to a shop.

- Munroe Falls, OH, USA

Oct 102014

Wrangler

Rear ended another vehicle at a speed of approximately 25 mph. The air bags did not deploy at time of impact or at all. Noticed that the rear windshield wipers did not work as well as the automatic door locks. Apparently this is a electrical issue that could have caused some serious injuries.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Oct 252014

Wrangler

The car had been driven for less than 15 minutes. Upon pulling up to the stop light, smoke started coming out from the hood then ventilation. After getting kids out of the car, I used a fire extinguisher under the front of the car. Once the extinguisher was exhausted, there was still smoke and small flames. At this point, there were flaming pieces dropping from underneath. I then got safely away and waited until the fire department arrived. The fire was significant. It melted the front end before the fire department arrived.

- Albuquerque , NM, USA

Jul 112014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Rear gate stopper failed & broke off when rear gate was opened on a reasonably flat surface, forcing gate to rapidly open much wider than normal, which also broke the plastic interior components and plastic hinge covers. Safety concerns are: The metal stopper snapping and hitting someone / having jagged edge when it snaps. The rear gate unexpectedly swinging open wider than expected and hitting someone. When the stopper snapped it was rather sudden & the gate really swung open quickly in a way which could hurt a child or elderly person if they were standing near the vehicle.

- Ambridge, PA, USA

May 052014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Chrysler has a safety recall number N28. I have been told by the dealer that I can not have my car fixed per recall guidelines because mopar stopped making the parts. I have been told at this point it may take several months to receive service. The recall states that damage to the transmission line can cause the vehicle to have loss of transmission. I drive 3 young children under the age of 10 years old every day to and from school and can not get any accountability from Jeep. I am hoping you can investigate why Chrysler has stopped making the part and why they can not perform any maintenance for any owners per the recall requirements.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Oct 042013

Wrangler

Our 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited has stock wheels and rims, in fact it has the smallest stock wheels and rims offered by the manufacturer. We have not "upsized" our wheels and rims with aftermarket products. The metal "strap" (that's what they call it at the dealer) on the tailgate that keeps it from swinging wide open broke, and when it broke it swung open and broke the tail light lens and housing. The dealer replaced it under warranty, and within a week it broke a second time. The dealer replaced it a second time. Again, within a week, it broke for a third time. It was replaced under warranty again. This was just yesterday. The dealer says it replaces these all the time, at least one a week. This is a faulty part that should be recalled. I have looked on Jeep Wrangler forums and lots of people have this problem, and lots of people have it happen multiple times.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 272013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving to work after clearing snow from my vehicle...there remained a large piece of ice that would not readily disengage from Jeep while trying to clear snow and ice. The hood has a deep well in the shape of a horse shoe...the design is a flaw (replicated from another design from aev but when put into production they left out drainage design) because water accumulates on the hood while warm and driving in snow etc...when shut down the water that remains on the hood refreezes and can not be removed unless you care about damaging the paint by forcefully chiseling it away. Long story short I was on the highway and could see that the engine heat was melting the ice panel and sure enough it flew up and over my windshield not without smashing the header of my windshield and then near missing the vehicle that was in back of me. The design will definitely cause damage in the future this I can say without hesitation. If Chrysler had chose the option to vent the water out of the hood there would be no problem. Unfortunately they did not. Now every winter I pray that I am not traveling during heavy new england weather because this issue will repeat itself as many times as we get snow.

- Providence, RI, USA

Jul 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The power dome hood on the call of duty MW3 edition Jeep holds water. The top of the hood holds water and if froze will produce a block of ice that can fly against windshield or at other cars. The original aev powerdome hood has vents for drianage these do not.

- University Park, MD, USA

May 082013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The contact owns 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the cable for the anti-lock braking system struck against the front driver and passenger's side support bracket whenever the contact completed a turn. The contact stated that the failure caused the brake lines to become severed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the brake lines were replaced. The dealer shortened the brake lines to provide extra room for the lines. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 32,000.

- Amite, LA, USA

Apr 272013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Check engine. Light came on.took it to dealer. Dealer said the computer was reading # 2 cylinder mis- fire. The dealer said that my on board computer didn't take a forced upload of new software from Chrysler, so they did it in shop. They said that would fix it. On May 13th while sitting in line at the bank, the check engine light came back on, drove to dealers second location. At that location I was told that the motor needed major work the #2 cylinder, rocker arm, and cylinder head need to be replaced.

- Mechanicsville , VA, USA

Apr 102013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was involved in a rear end accident which had minimal damage to the bumper, however my frame shifted 2 inches to puncture the catalytic converter, shift the engine and cause all of the bolts that hold my frame to the vehicle to come loose but not break. This is concerning as the only damage was to plastic covering and minimal indentation on the actual bumper with no other damage, there was no damage to the front end or the back side of the bumper. The auto body shop is concerned that the damage they are seeing to the bumper should not have caused the frame to flex as much as it did, and has never seen this happen. Please advise. I spoke with someone yesterday from Jeep who discarded my claim because I was involved in an accident, however if Wrangler?S frames shift and flex this much this is quite concerning to customers and Jeep need to look into this case, to prevent it from happening again. I would value some actual feedback from this and not be discarded so quickly.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 092012

Wrangler 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that water had leaked into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was advised that the door seals, the roof seals, and the rear top be replaced. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions for the same failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,300 and the current mileage was 7,980.

- Stanley , NC, USA

May 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

My 2012 Jeep hood latches do not hold down the hood firmly in high wind or when vehicles pass on highways. The hood will move upwards and bow and vibarte. This is very serious, the latches made of heavy rubber could brake and damage the windshield causing an accident. I went to the dealer in palestine, Texas and the service manager tested my Jeep and drove another new Jeep and I was told they all do it and they do not have a repair for this problem. This needs immediate attention before an accident happens.

- Saltillo, TX, USA

Mar 122012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Leaking water driverside floor.

- Melvindale, MI, USA

Nov 072012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

This complaint has not been qcD. the contact submitted an email and requested that the official IVOQ be written verbatim to the email. TL* while driving on a two lane highway at 65 mph with oncoming trucks coming by, the hood of my 2012 Jeep Wrangler would lift up to the limits of the hood latches. These factory latches are made of heavy duty rubber and do not hold the hood down/in place firmly as the air from the oncoming traffic pushes on the Jeep. The hood can be visually seen to move upwards and bow with a loud bang. I contacted Jeep Chrysler and was told to contact the dealer (prestige Chrysler Jeep Dodge of las vegas, Nevada). I did this and was told that they were aware of the problem but would not do anything since it was a Chrysler issue and the dealership could not do anything under warranty. I was also told that mopar has metal latches but I would have to purchase them. Since this is a very scary situation with the possibility of the hood being lifted back into the windshield, it can have serious consequences such as a deadly accident. This is definitely a design flaw; I feel that the NHTSA should make Chrysler replace the hood latches with the steel ones at no cost to me. This is a very real problem and needs to be rectified by the NHTSA because Chrysler will not listen to me. I hope that someone at the NHTSA investigates this before there is a serious accident and someone is killed. Updated 11/14/12 updated 11/14/2012 updated 11/30/12

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Feb 202012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 4X4. The contact stated that she could smell fumes entering the vehicle from the ventilation. The fumes caused the driver and any other passenger that entered the vehicle to become nauseous and endure headaches. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised that the failure was a normal characteristic for the particular model vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the removable hard top would flex when driving at approximately 30 mph or higher. The failure would cause extreme cabin pressure and causing the driver and passengers to suffer severe headaches. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The mechanic advised that the hard top was performing as designed. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 77. The current mileage was approximately 3,080. Updated 01/02/2013 updated 1/7/2013

- Iola , WI, USA