CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Aug 312014

Wrangler

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering), 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility), and 16V352000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Dec 212015

Wrangler

3rd gear drops into 4th gear very easily at times when standing still. In 4WD low if you think you in neutral but are in 4th gear when releasing the clutch which makes the vehicle drive forward. This could be life threatening.

- Long Jetty Nsw, AP, USA

Jan 292016

Wrangler

12 jkru 52,000 miles. It first happened at night while wife was driving on interstate Jeep went crazy mode all lights in cluster illuminated warning lights flashing and with hot oil msg, warning dings going off, heard electric fan running. It seemed that nothing was controllable, auto trans went into and would not shift out of first gear. Scared the hell out of my wife. Got home after shut off I tried to restart but nothing happened. I disconnected battery to reset cpu that did not work. I stopped by auto zone to get codes scanned. They told me every system was reporting failure and needs to go to dealer. After restart every thing was normal. After 100 yards down the street it all happened again. Pulled into store parking lot, turned Jeep off and would not restart till 4th try. Drove it strait to dealer in first gear with all. They said that it was tipm and not under warranty, gave MA a rental car for 10 days because part is on back order. After 10 days Chrysler quit paying for rental car and still have no part to fix Jeep it has been 16 days. I guess there are alot of failures for the tipm causing back order and do not know when they will get one.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Oct 192015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While parked, the vehicle failed to restart without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 64,000. The VIN was unavailable.....updated 12/11/15 the consumer stated the problem was something different. Updated 01/28/16.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Sep 032015

Wrangler

My 2012 Jeep Wrangler was being driven at 40mph when the clutch inadvertently went out. I am concerned that there might be a greater problem related to the flywheel and the related clutch assembly of these factory parts on this vehicle. I only use this vehicle to commute in the city and my driving habits are mild. I do not use this vehicle off-road and I live in the state of Florida which is incredibly flat. The clutch and surrounding assembly should not defect at 40K miles.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Wrangler

First thing that happened with this vehicle while driving on a highway the air condition and defogger for the winshield went out, winshield fogged up could not see on a rainy foggy night when I had to open all windows for air to take mist off winshield.second incident when I pulled into a service area to check the A/C the vehicle above was locked in park when suddenly the vehicle started going in reverse with engine running almost running over my brother who was in rear of vehicle.

- Greenlawn, NY, USA

Dec 052013

Wrangler

Appears that during winter months/cold weather the manual transmission will jump out of gear. It happens during sudden jars to vehicle, examples would be railroad tracks and pot holes. Also it will jump out of gear during heavy acceleration.

- Boiling Springs, PA, USA

May 012015

Wrangler

Purchase date Jeep 7/2014 East hills Chrysler East hills NY. Upon driving the vehicle home. I noticed it had the rear seat belt ripped out, parking brake was defective and a nail in right passenger side tire. I brought the vehicle back and stated "how was vehicle past a safety inspection"? their was response was the "sorry".the car was advertised a pre-certified based on the a 100 point inspection, which it never had. They replaced the seat belt that night. 5/4/2015, driving home the real differential failed (miles 48806) both front and rear were leaking. I was driving at rate 50 mph. The chain of events of the failure affected the flange and yolk off the drive shaft. I took it back to East hills Chrysler. The power train warranty covered this repair however, during the failure, I could not shift to slow the vehicle, I had a lot of vibration in on the manual stick. I expressively asked the dealer to inspect the clutch, gear box and transmission for damage as a result from the of the differential failure. They said they would. The car was at the dealer ship for 2 weeks. Drove the car home and heard this whining sound from the clutch, brought it back the same day and explained to them what the issue was. The noise was and is the through out bearing. Appointment date 6/2/2015. The car was there for 2 weeks. Result, the tech said the noise was normal. The clutch was not under warranty, and the could no guarantee, the noise would go away. Again I explained it the clutch damage was as a result of the differential failing. Dealer ship stated that the clutch was fine next appointment 7/17/2015 - dealer states that the noise in the through out bearing of I told expressed to them. My concern aside from the repair cost is the safety of the people who place their trust in experts to fix and maintain the vehicles that being sold and misrepresented as safe.

- Richmond, NY, USA

Aug 312012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have had at least 100 times where my Jeep has stalled and just stopped running. It has happened when I have slowed down, and has stopped in intersections. It has stopped when starting from a stop etc. I have had numerous manual transmission cars and this has never happened. It scares me, and makes me fear for my life. I have changed the way I drive because of it, with the fear of worrying my Jeep will just stop running, when I pull out into traffic. I have had the switches in the car not work, and function erratically. Lights stay on, when turned off, after turning them off numerous times, they finally go out. I have had my breaks respond oddly, and get weak. I have had the heater not come on, then turn switch again and it works. Have had defrost some on when defrost was off. Numerous electrical functions, malfunction. I don't bother with Jeep, as my mileage is over 36,000- no more warranty, but these things began, about a month or two into Jeep ownership. These problems used to be infrequent, but now this power failure happens often. Some days it happens 4-5 times. Please help me with this matter, I do not want to be injured or killed, due to this problem. I also do not want my family or someone else's hurt, because of it either. I started doing research about these issues and find I am not the only one, it is common. I also have a whistle in the brake line, vacuum I think"?" it causes the breaks to not be strong at times. I have had my brakes completely replaced and this condition persists, it also seems many with my model of Jeep experience this as well. All of the hinges on the doors are rusting from the inside out, as well, I see the paint bubbling up.

- Tuckerton, NJ, USA

Feb 122015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V234000 (power train, steering) and 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility); however, the parts to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Colona, IL, USA

Feb 042015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated to 90 mph. The contact had to shift into neutral in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Warren , NJ, USA

Nov 042014

Wrangler

The (RHD) vehicle check engine light and traction control (skid) light come on regularly while driving straight on dry roads and when the traction control light is on it causes the vehicle to slow speed. When driving over 40 mph, it takes a while to gain speed and if you let off gas it jerks like you are driving a standard transmission. I recently had the powertrain control module replaced costing myself over $600 and it still does the same thing. I have made a stop at a stop sign before and this Jeep died and started right back. Occasionally the gascap light comes on and stays for a couple days and then goes away. Another strange thing that happens a lot is the temperature on dash is set to Fahrenheit, but often I have to change it back because I will look and its showing celsius. The most recent thing that happened scared even my children. I had just took off at a 4-way intersection on highway and while gaining speed with no lights on, I reached about 40 mph and it just jerked as hard as it could and then check engine light and traction control light come on causing us to almost get run over by the people behind us gaining speed because we were being slowed down by this event. This is by far the strangest vehicle I've ever owned, sometimes there are no lights, sometimes just check engine or gascap light is on, and sometimes the check engine and traction control lights are on at the same time. You never know what you are gonna get on any given day. I have taken it to dealer again for the 6th time but they don't seem to be very knowledgeable or have any idea why this is happening.

- Wewoka, OK, USA

Jan 082015

Wrangler

3.6 pentastar V6 oil filter / oil cooler assembly developed a major oil leak... oil could be smelled dripping on exhaust stopped driving until dealer had replacement part. Was in fear that engine oil could catch on fire, or run out of oil and destroy motor. All new Chrysler 3.6 3.2 V6's are affected. Chrysler charged almost $600 to replace part and allow safe operation of 3 year old car. Their has been a new part for 2014 models that is having more oil leak problems...

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Dec 192014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I received an E-mail from Jeep around December stating recall N28 would affect my Jeep because the power steering line will rub the transmission oil cooler tube causing the vehicle to leak transmission fluid. I noticed on December 18th that my Jeep was in fact leaking transmission fluid so I called the closest Jeep dealership to me, gwinnett Jeep in stone mountain Georgia, and took my vehicle there on December 19th. After further inspection, the dealership stated the entire transmission oil cooler unit was leaking, which I told them was odd since this Jeep is only two years old with less than 50,000 miles. The dealership later called me back and told me a different story stating a transmission oil cooler tube was leaking and that unfortunately it was a different transmission oil cooler tube than was listed in recall N28. I didn't believe their story since they initially told me the transmission oil cooler unit was faulty. The bill was 503 dollars. I am E-mailing you because my vehicle was only leaking transmission fluid because of recall N28 and the dealership took advantage of me. This is a classic "double dip" where the dealership collects money from from corporate for the recall and then collects money from the customer. This dealership should be under investigation and audited because I am more than certain that people have previously brought in vehicles to gwinnett Jeep for recall issues and then they charged innocent customers additional money for "issues" with different components of the vehicle. I checked their reviews and there was a similar incident with a Jeep pertaining to a different recall. I don't want this to happen to anyone else in the future. I am a full time student and I also work full time, so my time and money mean a lot to me. A routine recall that should have been free of charge ended up costing me over 500 dollars.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 052014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The vehicle had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Wendell, ID, USA

Nov 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stopped getting heat from all vents on drivers side, including defroster and only luke warm heat on the passenger side. All regular maintenance had been performed on the vehicle. Dealer says radiator and heater core need to be replaced as they are filled with 'sludge'. a little research online and this seems to be an all to common issue with these Jeep and Chrysler has given no answer as to the cause. While not having heat is inconvenient, not being able to defrost the windshield is a safety hazard. They are currently fighting me on paying for this as the vehicle is just out of warranty. This is an issue Chrysler is fully aware of and has done nothing to fix! further investigating has shown that ignoring this problem and not removing this sludge could eventually lead to engine failure.

- Blue Point, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering). However, the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experience a failure.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jun 042013

Wrangler

I have been trying to get this recall (see below) repaired for over a year. I am alwas told there are no parts available from my dealer. I wrote Chrysler and they say there is a shortage. I still get notices in the mail telling me to get it fixed"?? they even set up a web site for me??" N28.myautorecall.com/kenlamonda I am hoping you can get this resolved for me or tell my not to worry like my dealer tells me... report receipt date: Jun 04, 2013 NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 component(s): Power train, steering potential number of units affected: 180,131 all products associated with this recall expand details close 11 associated documents expand manufacturer: Chrysler group llc summary: Chrysler group llc (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 Jeep Wrangler vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine and an automatic transmission and manufactured January 23, 2011, through February 23, 2013. The power steering line may contact and wear a hole in the transmission oil cooler line resulting in a loss of transmission fluid. Consequence: A loss of transmission fluid may result in a loss of transmission function which may increase the risk of a crash. Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the power steering return tube assembly, free of charge. The recall began on September 23, 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N28. Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Oct 272014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The transmission oil cooler tube has ruptured. The transmission oil cooler tube on this vehicle has had a recall on it for some time now. I have contacted the dealership several times to get my name placed on the waiting list; however, they are now telling me my name is not on the list. The vehicle is currently unable to be driven due to the transmission fluid leaking out. I have contacted the dealership to try to resolve this situation, but no one seems to want to help. Everyone has resorted to very un-professional behavior in light of the incident at the dealership. I have been very patient with the group, but am becoming very un-patient in the situation. They continue to tell me it could be six to eight weeks before the part is available. I would be more understanding if I knew my name was not previously placed on the list, but I know that I have made several attempts at doing so. This vehicle is also my primary vehicle. I am in desperate need of having this unsafe situation resolved.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Sep 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to transmission oil cooler tube recall notice. The consumer stated he has been waiting over a year, for the part to come in. Recall # 13V234000.

- Bellevue, NE, USA