CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Nov 282012

Wrangler

I experienced a serious problem with my 2012 Jeep sahara. After accelerating and passing another car while driving, I lifted off the accelerator, but my Jeep continued to accelerate. I tapped several times on the accelerator, then tapped the brake a couple of times in case the speed control somehow engaged. I then tried to see if I could lift the accelerator from below with my foot, but it wasn't depressed. The Jeep was continuing to accelerate and at this point I was going well over 80 mph. Finally I was left with no choice but to depress the clutch and take the vehicle out of gear. I quickly shut down the engine as the revs went through the roof. I coasted onto a side road and attempted to restart my Jeep, but it wouldn't turn over. I turned the ignition to the off position and removed the key, put the key back in and turned the ignition at which point it turned over and after about 5 or 6 secs it finally restarted and everything seemed normal. I checked around the accelerator and the floor mat was securely in place and there was nothing around the accelerator to cause it to stick. I have never experienced anything like this before in my life and am 110% sure that the problem was not driver error. My feet were completely off any of the peddles while the Jeep continued to accelerate and as I had a clear road ahead of me, I very methodically and calmly took the actions I outlined above in the attempt to reduce the engine speed with no affect until I finally had to shut it down.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jul 102012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I bought my 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport in November 2011. It was working just fine until the summer of 2012 when my wipers would turn on all by themselves for a few seconds, and then off again. This happened several more times during the summer. In addition, the radio would just power off. The only way it would come back on was to hit the top of the dash and it powered back on. Took it in and they flashed a module which stopped the wiper issue but not the radio problem. This was July 2012. After that in same month, I noticed an engine light came on solid. Took it in, they reset it saying it was a cylinder #2 misfire. People on wranglerforums.com were talking about it too (see jk section and look for "ticking pentastar" thread). It was the biggest thread actually. Apparently, over a hundred owners on just this site alone had to have their head replaced. Wtf? the light came back on a couple days later so I took it back in. They confirmed the same result and told me they would order a new head. The local dealer here in savannah (hoover) told me it was in. Took in the Jeep and they said it would take 2-3 days. Big lie. After 3 days, I called to get status and they told me it would be 2-3 weeks!!! there were several people in front of me with same issue and only one guy fixing them. With a major issue like this on a brand new vehicle, this calls for a class-action lawsuit. I get small glitches happening but a new head"?" they did not change anything on the 2013's so this will likely be a huge headache for Jeep. Be warned!!!!

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Jul 032012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the top was opened as it began to rain and saturated the interior of the vehicle. Several hours later, the contact he started the vehicle and discovered that the windshield wipers, turn signals, exterior and interior lights, and the horn all failed. In addition, the steering wheel buttons had become inoperable. All of the inoperable components became operable within 24 hours. The dealer was contacted but advised that there were no failures to diagnose. The failure and the current mileage was 3,600.

- Apollo, PA, USA

May 172012

Wrangler 6-cyl

45 days and 1960 miles and it is at dealership service department with steering column and dash all apart. I was told there was a problem with clock spring in steering wheel, however after that was replaced they still have problems with electronics in steering column. So far dealer doesn't know or is not sure exactly what is wrong. I was told they were waiting on a reply from manufacture and they were having trouble running tests through cluster. I will be requesting for Jeep to exchange this one for another one as I don't trust they will correct the problem. What if I am far from home at night in the rain. I could have a serious accident.

- Halethorpe, MD, USA

Mar 032012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Purchased a 2012 Jeep Wrangler sport on 3/3/12 at roughly 2pm cst. At about 4pm cst, I parked the Jeep in my apartment's parking garage. I decided at about 6pm cst to go get some dinner, and to cruise around as well in the new vehicle. I observed smoke coming from the parking garage, and when I got into the garage, I observed my new Jeep on fire. The entire front end of the vehicle was engulfed in flames. Both front tires exploded as a result of the fire, and the entire front end was completely damaged. The interior is destroyed; basically totaled out. Vehicle was purchased with 11 miles on the odometer, and ended with about 17 total.

- Houston, TX, USA