CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 082015

Wrangler

3.6 pentastar V6 oil filter / oil cooler assembly developed a major oil leak... oil could be smelled dripping on exhaust stopped driving until dealer had replacement part. Was in fear that engine oil could catch on fire, or run out of oil and destroy motor. All new Chrysler 3.6 3.2 V6's are affected. Chrysler charged almost $600 to replace part and allow safe operation of 3 year old car. Their has been a new part for 2014 models that is having more oil leak problems...

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Dec 192014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I received an E-mail from Jeep around December stating recall N28 would affect my Jeep because the power steering line will rub the transmission oil cooler tube causing the vehicle to leak transmission fluid. I noticed on December 18th that my Jeep was in fact leaking transmission fluid so I called the closest Jeep dealership to me, gwinnett Jeep in stone mountain Georgia, and took my vehicle there on December 19th. After further inspection, the dealership stated the entire transmission oil cooler unit was leaking, which I told them was odd since this Jeep is only two years old with less than 50,000 miles. The dealership later called me back and told me a different story stating a transmission oil cooler tube was leaking and that unfortunately it was a different transmission oil cooler tube than was listed in recall N28. I didn't believe their story since they initially told me the transmission oil cooler unit was faulty. The bill was 503 dollars. I am E-mailing you because my vehicle was only leaking transmission fluid because of recall N28 and the dealership took advantage of me. This is a classic "double dip" where the dealership collects money from from corporate for the recall and then collects money from the customer. This dealership should be under investigation and audited because I am more than certain that people have previously brought in vehicles to gwinnett Jeep for recall issues and then they charged innocent customers additional money for "issues" with different components of the vehicle. I checked their reviews and there was a similar incident with a Jeep pertaining to a different recall. I don't want this to happen to anyone else in the future. I am a full time student and I also work full time, so my time and money mean a lot to me. A routine recall that should have been free of charge ended up costing me over 500 dollars.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stopped getting heat from all vents on drivers side, including defroster and only luke warm heat on the passenger side. All regular maintenance had been performed on the vehicle. Dealer says radiator and heater core need to be replaced as they are filled with 'sludge'. a little research online and this seems to be an all to common issue with these Jeep and Chrysler has given no answer as to the cause. While not having heat is inconvenient, not being able to defrost the windshield is a safety hazard. They are currently fighting me on paying for this as the vehicle is just out of warranty. This is an issue Chrysler is fully aware of and has done nothing to fix! further investigating has shown that ignoring this problem and not removing this sludge could eventually lead to engine failure.

- Blue Point, NY, USA

Nov 202014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Attempting to accelerate from stop at traffic signal, dashboard trouble lights illuminated, ESC and antilock brake system activated, effectively nullifying driver throttle input. Vehicle would not accelerate.

- Nanjemoy, MD, USA

Oct 102014

Wrangler

Rear ended another vehicle at a speed of approximately 25 mph. The air bags did not deploy at time of impact or at all. Noticed that the rear windshield wipers did not work as well as the automatic door locks. Apparently this is a electrical issue that could have caused some serious injuries.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Oct 252014

Wrangler

The car had been driven for less than 15 minutes. Upon pulling up to the stop light, smoke started coming out from the hood then ventilation. After getting kids out of the car, I used a fire extinguisher under the front of the car. Once the extinguisher was exhausted, there was still smoke and small flames. At this point, there were flaming pieces dropping from underneath. I then got safely away and waited until the fire department arrived. The fire was significant. It melted the front end before the fire department arrived.

- Albuquerque , NM, USA

Sep 222014

Wrangler

The engine malfunction light came on so I took my 2012 Jeep Wrangler to the dealership. They said one of the cylinders misfired, but it was not a major issue, so they reset the software and I drove the vehicle home. A few weeks later, the engine malfunction light came on again, so I took my Jeep back to the dealership. This time cylinder number 2 misfired and they told me the cylinder head needed to be replaced. They said my Jeep will be ready tomorrow.

- Bordentown , NJ, USA

Oct 272014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The transmission oil cooler tube has ruptured. The transmission oil cooler tube on this vehicle has had a recall on it for some time now. I have contacted the dealership several times to get my name placed on the waiting list; however, they are now telling me my name is not on the list. The vehicle is currently unable to be driven due to the transmission fluid leaking out. I have contacted the dealership to try to resolve this situation, but no one seems to want to help. Everyone has resorted to very un-professional behavior in light of the incident at the dealership. I have been very patient with the group, but am becoming very un-patient in the situation. They continue to tell me it could be six to eight weeks before the part is available. I would be more understanding if I knew my name was not previously placed on the list, but I know that I have made several attempts at doing so. This vehicle is also my primary vehicle. I am in desperate need of having this unsafe situation resolved.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Feb 022014

Wrangler 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport; 1st incident with hot oil message, resulted in dealership fixing the recall they all of a sudden had parts for (that were on back order for months-and for a recall). When I told the dealership I had a case id with Chrysler, they changed their tune and had the part(s). This was at 26000 miles. 2nd incident: I had driven to NY from SC with no issues while driving. Next day, cold start, hot oil warning. Took to a local auto repair shop and they "cleared the error" stating there was no apparent cause and they "didn't know why" the error occurred. 3rd incident: Called dealership I bought the Jeep from and told the guy (whom I know by name) that I was having the same problem, "hot oil message." He stated, "hot oil message, I don't know what you're talking about!" really"?" he was clearly lying, and I knew right then he was of no help to me. So, I went to the nearest Chrysler in a town 15 minutes away where I had moved to as it was closer anyway...letting the liar-part go, thinking the other dealership would surely do the right thing. This is at 34000 mi. The dealership has my Jeep currently and told me today that the dealership I bought it from wrote "added computer to Jeep, " as the supposed fix for the original issue (recall). The guy at the closest dealership told me the computer wouldn't even "talk" to him so he couldn't diagnose the problem until he figures out how to get the 1st computer to "talk" to him so he can get to the 2nd computer and try to diagnose an issue with the 2nd computer. Got a call this afternoon that it was driven around town with no problems after clearing the error message again. Awaiting final results now. I'm 2000 miles away from being out of warranty. Researching internet reveals numerous accounts of same issue with many people barely escaping engulfed in flames Jeep. This is an issue. Class action sought.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Aug 142014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Vehicle check engine light comes on and vehicle losses power. This occurred on a highway at 65mph, the cel came on while on cruise control. At that moment the vehicle decelerated from 65mph to about 40mph with no notice. This was an unsafe condition for all occupants of the vehicle including a 16 month baby. The vehicle was almost struct by an semi truck from behind, who had to lock its wheels to avoid a collision. This will be the 10th time the cel was been illuminate, but this was the first time for an incident of this manner. The manufacture and dealership seems uncaring of the event and process to make the vehicle safe.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Aug 052014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Major oil leak. Dealer claims they cant find the source. Luckily, most oil is in the air box otherwise it could cause a fire or horrible accident. Reading of many similar leaks from owners of the same model. This shohld be investigated and manufacturer make this a recall.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jun 022014

Wrangler 6-cyl

The engine has always had a ticking sound. It's been evaluated as a head replacement. The engine light has been on for months. Misfire #2 cylinder is the code.

- Florence, KY, USA

Jun 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I received a safety recall notice for my vehicle over 4 months ago. I've been trying ever since to have my car repaired but continue to be told that Jeep has put a hold on the part. That the part is out of stock nationwide, etc. I'm very worried about the safety of my vehicle.

- Parker, CO, USA

Mar 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

This makes the 2nd cylinder head I've had to had replaced on my Jeep. First at apx. 25000 and 2nd head at apx. 58000 in may of 2014. Also after the first cylinder head, the oil pump went bad. Very disappointed in cheap parts.

- Farmington, WV, USA

Mar 192012

Wrangler

The check engine light came on, , took to dealer and they had to replace both heads. And one of the heads they put on was bad and I am still waiting for them to get another head and I hope it will be a good one, my Jeep has been at the dealer for almost 2 mo. And I still don't have it back yet and its costing me a lot of money to rent a car. I will trade it in this year if I do get it back, ,, looking at a GMC 4/w/D.

- Gardendale, TX, USA

May 072014

Wrangler

At 26,000 miles the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership, they reset the light and told me the 4th cylinder misfired, but everything is fine now. One week later it did it again. Now they are telling me it needs a new cylinder. After reading the other postings, it will be sold asap. I am not chancing going over the 36000 mile warranty and having it happen again. Nope... it's gone... I am very sad because I love my Jeep. :-(

- Onalaska, WA, USA

Feb 122014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have received two recall notices about an oil cooler tube and power steering fluid return tube contact. I have contacted the dealership multiple times, but they have told me that GM will only send one part every two weeks, and they have yet to receive any parts for the recall. This issue needs to be resolved.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Oct 162013

Wrangler

Received a recall in September 2013 that the oil cooler tube and the power steering fluid return tube might rub causing a loss of fluids which might cause a engine breakdown or a fire in the engine. Went to my Chrysler dealer and my Jeep was inspected and determined that parts needed to be replaced. Parts were ordered and dealer having trouble getting parts. How in the world can it take six months to get these parts in stock? I blame Chrysler for this not the dealer. I checked my dealer 04/09/14 and I am in the dealers system and will be notified when the parts come in to their dealership.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Check engine had been coming on and going off for a few weeks finally has stayed on steady for over a week now. Called my dealer service department yesterday and told them about the problem. They told me to reset the computer to see if it would stay cleared. Reset before leaving work got about two miles down the road and it's burning bright again. I called them and they asked me to bring it in the following morning. Dropped it off and got a ride to work. They called me before lunch and informed me that I had a bad head on the drivers side of my Jeep and it would have to be replaced. So I'm jeepless for a few days bumping a ride to work until it's repaired.

- Resaca, GA, USA

Mar 302014

Wrangler

I was driving over the weekend and everything was fine. My Jeep seemed a little sluggish over the last few weeks and the engine light came on and took it to the dealer to get an oil change and for them to let me know why the engine light is on. They came back and said it was a defective cylinder head and that it would be replaced under warranty. While I was fortunate to take it in promptly, it does concern me that this problem might cause my other heads to be susceptible to the same failure.

- Cohutta , GA, USA