Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Jan 252016

The tipm unit went out, causing lots of issues. The issues we┐re aware of are: The doors wouldn't lock, shifter was stuck in park, radio/cd/bluetooth wouldn┐T work, and the front headlights wouldn't turn off leading to a complete drain of the battery. Thankfully, the vehicle was parked and this didn't happen while we were driving it (it could have been very dangerous if it did). It cost us $1100 to replace the tipm unit, which was a huge financial burden on us, but even worse was that we had to go without the Jeep (one of our main means of transportation) for almost two months because there's a waiting list for the replacement part. We checked with 3 different repair shops just to be sure, and all said the same thing: 1.) that there's a waiting list at least 40 people long for this tipm unit, and 2.) that they've been seeing Jeep Wrangler left & right for this same exact problem, and there's a waiting list because the part can't even be manufactured quickly enough to keep up with the demand. I know the tipm unit has been recalled for Jeep Cherokee, but why not Jeep Wrangler when this is clearly a major issue for it as well??

- Alamosa, CO, USA

Feb 012016

Airbag clockspring was replaced under recall M031 in early 2012. The part recalled had failed again causing airbag light to be illuminated, loss of speed control, loss of steering wheel audio controls, loss of horn, and loss of "step" and "reset buttons for the information center. This issue started out when turning the steering wheel in the left or right position and within a few weeks has became a constant problem to no avail.

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Jan 292016

12 jkru 52,000 miles. It first happened at night while wife was driving on interstate Jeep went crazy mode all lights in cluster illuminated warning lights flashing and with hot oil msg, warning dings going off, heard electric fan running. It seemed that nothing was controllable, auto trans went into and would not shift out of first gear. Scared the hell out of my wife. Got home after shut off I tried to restart but nothing happened. I disconnected battery to reset cpu that did not work. I stopped by auto zone to get codes scanned. They told me every system was reporting failure and needs to go to dealer. After restart every thing was normal. After 100 yards down the street it all happened again. Pulled into store parking lot, turned Jeep off and would not restart till 4th try. Drove it strait to dealer in first gear with all. They said that it was tipm and not under warranty, gave MA a rental car for 10 days because part is on back order. After 10 days Chrysler quit paying for rental car and still have no part to fix Jeep it has been 16 days. I guess there are alot of failures for the tipm causing back order and do not know when they will get one.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

May 122015

The airbag light came on and the left steering wheel controls quit working, later all steering wheel controls quit working. I researched and found a previous recall for the clock spring which was up until models manufactured in November 2011. Called the dealership and was told there was no recall on my vehicle. Mine is a right hand drive manufactured in March 2012. It is a safety issue and should be recalled. It happened out of warranty.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

Jul 172015

I was operating my vehicle on the highway and attempted to engage the steering wheel mounted speed control. The speed control failed to turn on, so I pressed the button several times and found that it would not activate (turn on and show "cruise" on the gauge cluster). Approximately an hour later I pressed the cruise control button several more times, and it eventually showed "cruise" in the gauge cluster. I was then able to set the speed control to 70 mph. After traveling on the highway for approximately one hour with the cruise control set, I attempted to shut it off utilizing the steering wheel mounted button. The cruise control would not deactivate by pressing the on / off button. I was approaching an exit, and was able to deactivate the cruise control by utilizing the vehicles brakes, however the I could not shut the power to the cruise control off until I shut the Jeep ignition off. The cruise control power button now works intermittently. Sometimes it will activate the cruise control power, sometimes it will not. I do not feel comfortable utilizing the vehicle feature due to the inability to consistently shut it off. I have conducted some research on line and have seen many complaints on Jeep forums about this issue. The forums have stated that many Jeep have defective clock springs.

- Westbrook , ME, USA

Feb 042015

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated to 90 mph. The contact had to shift into neutral in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Warren , NJ, USA

Nov 202014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Attempting to accelerate from stop at traffic signal, dashboard trouble lights illuminated, ESC and antilock brake system activated, effectively nullifying driver throttle input. Vehicle would not accelerate.

- Nanjemoy, MD, USA

Oct 162014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on I70 from wheeling, wv to saint clairsville, oh during rush hour. I came out of construction and set the cruise control for 65 mph. I was coming to the merge of I70 and 470 and there was a lot of traffic. My Jeep, without touching the brake or control, kicked out of cruise. I was on an incline and went from 65 mph to 55 mph before I could get my foot on the gas pedal. The car behind me swerved into the outside lane to avoid hitting me. This is not the first time this has happened. It has been to the garage for this and I was told it was fixed. Someone is going to get hurt if other Jeep are doing this. I was lucky!

- Cadiz, OH, USA

Feb 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Wrangler: Sudden unintended acceleration while driving at 50mph. Rpms suddenly and unexpectedly exceeded 4K while brake pedal was applied in an attempt to slow the vehicle down. Electronic throttle control ("etc") warning light activated. Engine rpms eventually slowed and I was able to get the Jeep off the road, park, and shut off the engine. Upon restart, the engine rpms were above 4K without any accelerator pedal input, the gas pedal was "floored" on its own, and the etc warning light was activated. I recorded the dash board with my iphone because what was happening was beyond belief.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Dec 152011

The contact owns 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technicians replaced the sensor and switch in the brake pedal and the map sensor. The failure recurred. Additionally the contact noticed the vehicle revs up suddenly while driving at low speeds. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Upper Montclair, NJ, USA

Mar 262012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle after being parked overnight or a long period of time (4-5 hours), the acceleration appears to be sluggish. The vehicle is driven in California so cold weather should not be an issue. Additionally, the vehicle is normally warmed up for a short period prior to driving to allow the RPM to lower and settle. The sluggish acceleration requires the driver to exert more force on the accelerator pedal to maintain a steady acceleration. After approximately 5-10 minutes of driving, the vehicle appears to accelerate smoother with less strain on the engine.

- Tustin, CA, USA