CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

May 262014

Wrangler

Started with a window leaking on October 2, 2012. Then proceeded to traction light coming on along with the engine light.. well on May 26, 2014 I was working.. I work for usps and it is a right hand Jeep I notice smoke coming from the vents of my Jeep.. I stopped looked under hood seen no fire. Scared to death and not knowing what was going on.. I sit there for a while and it stopped. Call dealership and took it to them and they returned to me with "no obvious problem". approximately 2 weeks later it happen again. Smoke coming from vents.. this time my Jeep caught fire and burned to the ground!! I later discovered, after the fire, that my vehicle was subject to a recall that I never received.. I become aware of the recall from a coworker whom had bought her Jeep 1 month after me...

- Roanoke Rapids, NC, USA

Aug 312016

Fire

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Feb 022016

Wrangler

There seem to be a number of electrical issue mostly around the door locking failure; the horn and the touch radio

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Feb 272016

Wrangler

I took my 2012 Jeep into a dealer spirit Dodge in swedesboro NJ 08085 Saturday 2/27/16 my complaint was no heat. I was told it needs a heater core a radiator, and trans cooler. And that my easy care extended warranty did not cover it even though it says it covers heat. My easy care contract number is egtk886782. My Jeep has 52000 miles. They said it has sludge in the system. Now my system is not schuelded to be cleaned flushed till 60 month. So it failed before the time. I was told it's a know problem but they have not recalled them. I bought the Jeep at vann Dodge in vineland NJ. So I really feel cheated. I have had no heat for a while but I didn't report right away

- Pennsville, NJ, USA

Dec 192015

Wrangler

2012 Jeep Wrangler was put in neutral and started with the ebrake up. I let up on the clutch as I exited the vehicle. As soon as my feet hit the ground, the vehicle accelerated at full speed and drove 60 ft, crashing completely through the garage door and ripping it off. Jeep claims that the vehicle is in properly functioning condition since they cannot repeat this independent acceleration.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 142015

Wrangler

The horn does not work. All controls on the steering wheel are not working. (cruise control, radio volume and tuning, reset buttons) the signal lights do not turn off automatically. The check engine light stays on, and the air bag light also stays on. A diagnostics was performed showing clock spring needs to be replaced. My complaint is that this is the second time I have had this happen. My Jeep is a right-hand drive which I use for mail delivery. Chrysler covered the cost with half a warranty the first time. This was August 2014 with 68000 miles. The second time was December 2015 with 86000 miles. Chrysler is saying they can not help. This has been a recall on other right hand drive Jeep in my post office. Mine is doing the same thing, therefore I feel that it should be covered fully to be replaced.

- Buena Vista, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Wrangler

Faulty clockspring airbag light appears sporadically when vehicle is in motion and I have someone in the passenger seat, notifying me that their airbag is deactivated. Horns volume is weak. Possibly a coincidence, but the low tire pressure alert appears at start-up. All tires (Goodyear LT285/70R17) read 45-50 psi. This part is recalled in 2007 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler, but not for 2009-2016. It is the exact same part.

- Somerville, MA, USA

Dec 132015

Wrangler

Takata recall. I was driving and star raining. Turn on the wiper, no function I check washer, not working. Then I notice no head lights, no horn's, no tail lights. 4 ways and brakes light does work.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 042015

Wrangler

I Jeep purchased the Jeep Nov. 2, 2015. I just started driving the Jeep. I was coming home from work it a pothole and the Jeep started shaking violently like my fronted was going to come apart and didn't stop until I slowed down.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 052015

Wrangler

Car lost all power while making a left turn on a busy street. The issue turned out to be a defective tipm which cost over $1100 to repair.

- Massapequa, NY, USA

Jul 012015

Wrangler

Tailgate swings beyond allowable limit, even when the vehicle is parked on a level surface, causing the swing arm to break, brake light to crack and interior trim panels to be damaged.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Wrangler

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited with 40K miles. Around 15K miles, I started experiencing issues with the driver side and front windshield heating/defrosting not working. Heating works on the passenger side, but not on the driver¿'s side seating or windshield areas. This issue creates a comfort problem during cold days due to no heat on the driver¿'s side¿¦ but more importantly, creates a safety issue because the front windshield does not defrost properly without sufficient heat, creating unsafe driving scenarios. This issue was intermittent at first, but over the past 20K miles has become a frequent comfort and safety issue. This defect/issue/design flaw is a known problem with the current Wrangler unlimited as a number of others I know with the same vehicle experience this issue and you can find endless complaints of the issue on line. My dealer also explained they receive frequent complaints for this problem. I brought my Jeep to the dealership. They explained I need the heating core replaced, and due to its location behind the dashboard will cost me $1000+ to repair, primarily due to the labor required to pull off the dashboard and other car parts to reach and replace the heating core. This issue should be a recognized safety recall or service bulletin by Jeep/Chrysler with no out of pocket repair expense for the vehicle owners who expect to receive safe, high quality, well designed products from Jeep/Chrysler.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Dec 232013

Wrangler 6-cyl

There is a safety recall N28 on my Jeep. I have gone to 2 different dealers to try to get this recall service completed. The hebert town and country delaership in shreveport la always came up wtih an excuse as to why they could not complete the work (they have to do an inspection first, need an appointment, then they have to order the part, etc... but they would never do the inspection). Then my husband made an appointment with landers in bossier city la to have the recall work done... approximately a week prior to the appointment they cancelled it due to being "too busy". we then received a call from the automated appointment line and got rescheduled for an appointment today (Aug 4, 2014) and when we arrived at the dealer, we were informed they could not do the work because again, they were "too busy" and we were instructed to call back on Aug 11, 2014 to see if their workload had cleared up and if they could get us in. The service advisor even told us it's A2 hour job. I think a recall should take priority and I should have to battle 2 different dealerships for 9 months to get this done.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Jun 032013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have been waiting for this part (transmission oil cooler tube) since last July. I called immediately to have it addressed by my dealer and they put me on a waiting list. Almost a year later (and several phone calls during this year to them) I am still on that waiting list. My recall states: "...operating the vehicle with insufficient transmission fluid may cause damage to the transmission and a loss of transmission function which may increase the risk of a crash." I am supposed to be okay with this? I tried to trade it in for a newer model, but the dealer did not give me a decent deal. My Jeep is only a year old.

- Mason, OH, USA

Dec 182013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I've called about having the safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234 taken care of since December 2013 and my dealership continues to choose not to address this.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jul 252013

Wrangler

I received a recall notice from Chrysler about 3 months back and everytime I call dealership they tell me that Chrysler has not sent them parts to fix recall. Not very professional. Someone needs to push their gas pedal unexceptable.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 032012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Purchased a 2012 Jeep Wrangler sport on 3/3/12 at roughly 2pm cst. At about 4pm cst, I parked the Jeep in my apartment's parking garage. I decided at about 6pm cst to go get some dinner, and to cruise around as well in the new vehicle. I observed smoke coming from the parking garage, and when I got into the garage, I observed my new Jeep on fire. The entire front end of the vehicle was engulfed in flames. Both front tires exploded as a result of the fire, and the entire front end was completely damaged. The interior is destroyed; basically totaled out. Vehicle was purchased with 11 miles on the odometer, and ended with about 17 total.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 032011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Water filling up on the inside front floorboards when it rains; coming in from firewall; possible fire hazard.

- Dover, PA, USA

Sep 062011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

This vehicle has auto stick shifting with an automatic transmission. For upshifts movement all the way to the right, hitting the end of travel is required the make a shift up in gear selection. On down shifts, just touching the shift handle and barely applying pressure activates a downshift. No movement of the shift handle is required. This way to sensitive.

- San Ramon, CA, USA