CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 022015

Wrangler

I was involved in a single vehicle collision, with "multiple front end impacts" and significant damage to the vehicle. I was driving approximately 35-40 mph, when the vehicle jerked to the right I hydroplaned (this is my best guess and veered to the shoulder. The street is narrow, with only a very thin shoulder. The Jeep then went off the road, drove through a deep rain-filled ditch, hit the front end of that ditch, launching the Jeep airborne. During that impact, the front axle was ripped off. I then landed in another ditch (a culvert with 2 cement walls), where the Jeep bounced twice on the cement wall, cracking the frame each time, then landed in the ditch, where I kept going until I hit a small construction pole. My Jeep had the additional side airbag package. Despite the severity of the crash, my airbags did not deploy, and my seat belt never tightened. This resulted in me being thrown forwards and backwards multiple times (at least 3 that I recall). I suffered a tbi, and missed 2.5 months of work. I had to quit my second job. I have also had ongoing neck pain, initially thought to be muscular. An mri recently completed shows disk herniation of C3-C6.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 122016

Wrangler

The clock spring has was replaced once at partial cost to me. It is now out again. Now the traction control light is on, and it affects the way I'm driving.

- Herod, IL, USA

Dec 152015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 20 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,644.

- Bastrop, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Wrangler

Airbag clockspring was replaced under recall M031 in early 2012. The part recalled had failed again causing airbag light to be illuminated, loss of speed control, loss of steering wheel audio controls, loss of horn, and loss of "step" and "reset buttons for the information center. This issue started out when turning the steering wheel in the left or right position and within a few weeks has became a constant problem to no avail.

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Jan 252016

Wrangler

Air bag light and warning is going on and off when turning the steering wheel. Dealer says the clock spring needs to be replaced. There is a recall on right hand drive vehicles and numerous reports of all clock springs failing.

- Farmington, UT, USA

Oct 022015

Wrangler

I was involved in a single vehicle collision, with "multiple front end impacts" and significant damage to the vehicle. I was driving approximately 35-40 mph, when I hydroplaned (this is my best guess, I really don't note what happened), and veered to the shoulder. The Jeep then went off the road, drove through a deep rain-filled ditch, hit the front end of that ditch, launching the Jeep airborne. During that impact, the front axle was ripped off. I then landed in another ditch (a culvert with 2 cement walls), where the Jeep bounced twice on the cement wall, cracking the frame each time, then landed in the ditch, where I kept going until I hit a small construction pole. My Jeep had the additional side airbag package. Despite the severity of the crash, my airbags did not deploy, and my seat belt never tightened. This resulted in me being thrown forwards and backwards multiple times (at least 3 that I recall). I suffered a tbi, and missed 2.5 months of work. I had to quit my second job. I have also had ongoing neck pain, initially thought to be muscular. An mri recently completed shows disk herniation of C3-C6.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 152015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the air bag clock spring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V176000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,500.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Aug 282015

Wrangler

Right after 36 month mark (but below 30,000mi mark), an air bag malfunction light went on. It would stay on for the duration of a trip or even when the vehicle is parked with engine idling. My vehicle was never in collisions, fender-benders, or otherwise experienced any insults to the air bag sensors or wiring. I had 7yr/75,000mi warranty from Chrysler that allegedly covers all major components and electronics. However, it does not cover the air bags. That is, Chrysler therefore does not consider air bags a major component. As a consumer, safety of my passengers and I is a major issue. Thus, I ended up paying nearly $1,000 to repair the issue at a Chrysler dealership. I am hearing similar complaints from Wrangler owners. Chrysler needs to make things right.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Jan 012016

Wrangler

Faulty clockspring airbag light appears sporadically when vehicle is in motion and I have someone in the passenger seat, notifying me that their airbag is deactivated. Horns volume is weak. Possibly a coincidence, but the low tire pressure alert appears at start-up. All tires (Goodyear LT285/70R17) read 45-50 psi. This part is recalled in 2007 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler, but not for 2009-2016. It is the exact same part.

- Somerville, MA, USA

Nov 032015

Wrangler

The airbag light came on and then shut off, when I went to the dealership for inspection they stated that it would not pass because of the airbag light coming on. I have read that this has become a common problem with my year vehicle, and that there may be an investigation in regards to it. The problem that was diagnosed was an electrical failure in the clock spring/steering wheel. I had to replace the clock spring for a total of $518.31 out-of-pocket

- Richmond, RI, USA

May 122015

Wrangler

The airbag light came on and the left steering wheel controls quit working, later all steering wheel controls quit working. I researched and found a previous recall for the clock spring which was up until models manufactured in November 2011. Called the dealership and was told there was no recall on my vehicle. Mine is a right hand drive manufactured in March 2012. It is a safety issue and should be recalled. It happened out of warranty.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

Oct 052015

Wrangler

Confirmed bad clockspring unit by dealership that controls the driver side airbag. Unit was not exposed to anything extreme like water or heat but just stopped working while driving home from work airbag light came on. When the steering wheel is turned the sensor light goes back off so the sensor turns on and off with regular driving on any road or condition.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 242015

Wrangler

After driving some national forest gravel roads in the blue mountains in Washington state, my air bag dash board indicating light turned on. I made an appointment with the local Jeep dealer. They did a diagnostic eamination of the car and determined that the car's tipm computer had failed internally and was no longer supplying power to the airbags and that the air bags would not function. They said I needed a new tipm and quoted me a price of about $1,400. I did a quick google search and discovered other people had also experienced early tipm computer failures. Failure of tipm is a safety issue if it disables the air bag system as has happened on my Jeep.

- Pasco, WA, USA

May 122014

Wrangler

On the 2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying. Chrysler however has issued a recall on this part for the (RHD) vehicles with this same issue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 262015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle built June 2012 RHD postal vehicle and clock spring is gone. Thus air bag light is on and constant chimes. Vehicle used to deliver mail. Safety concern as with this clock spring going on and off air bag may not deploy. Chrysler is aware of problem and has recall of RHD vehicles built only til October 11, 2011 number recall is M31!!! same part as was used prior to Oct,11, 2012 !! what gives they should replace all until they change part design.

- Lisbon, NH, USA

Jul 012014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the front passenger side aig bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Oct 102014

Wrangler

Rear ended another vehicle at a speed of approximately 25 mph. The air bags did not deploy at time of impact or at all. Noticed that the rear windshield wipers did not work as well as the automatic door locks. Apparently this is a electrical issue that could have caused some serious injuries.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Apr 062014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

One morning the controls, horn, & I'm assuming, airbag stopped working (no lights or functionality). Just noticed the first time going out for the day. The removable hard top panels where off, and some dew was present in the air earlier that morning.... but it's a Jeep. The horn honked from the steering wheel once and then no more. It does still work when locking the doors and such remotely.

- Haslet, TX, USA

Oct 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have 20,000 miles on my Jeep. When driving, every 20-30 miles, the air bag warning light accompanied by a warning "ding" comes on. I am past my warranty by 10 days. I have read on line where there is a recall NHTSA campaign id number : 13V176000 for this same problem, but it is only for right hand drive vehicles. This is the same problem and the same defective part as on the left hand drive vehicles. The affected vehicles have airbag clockspring assemblies that could experience broken airbag circuits. Consequence: In the event of a crash necessitating airbag deployment, a broken electrical circuit in the airbag clockspring wiring assembly can lead to non-deployment of the driver-side frontal airbag and will not be able to properly protect the driver, increasing the risk of injuries. There needs to be a recall of the left hand drive Jeep too before someone gets killed.

- Janesville, CA, USA

Aug 182014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

My 2012 Jeep jk unlimited (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light started to flash intermit on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners 07- present, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. This is a safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying."

- Clarkston, MI, USA