4.9

2013 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Wrangler:

2013 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 242016

Wrangler

My new to me, but still under factory warranty, Jeep Wrangler sahara 2dr, caught fire and burned the day I got it. It had been driven 250kms from the Jeep dealer to me, then parked until the evening. I took it for a drive for about 40km without incident, parked, and had dinner with a friend. After dinner, I used the remote start to test it, unlocked it, and got in and drove off. I stopped at a store a minute up the road, left it idling, and came out to find my check engine light flashing. I cycled the ignition, and the light went out. I proceeded towards home, but two minutes later the light came back on, followed by a very loud bang, then then the smoke from the hood. I was travelling at about 10km/hr in a neighbouthood having just turned from a stop. My vehicle came to a stop, my passenger and I jumped out, called 911, and watched as a fire coming from what appeared to be the passenger side, with something dripping and burning as well, consumed the front of the Jeep. I notified the dealership and Jeep Canada but have yet to receive responses. Insurance deemed it a total loss. I'd owned the vehicle for 8 hours. It had 50,000kms on the odometer, and one outstanding recall (14V-631) that wasn't done prior to delivery to me.

- Calgary, Alberta, Canada, MT, USA

Oct 292016

Wrangler

Bought it with 36,800 miles on it. Vehicle started to stall/die after start and engaging drive or reverse. Also can do it coming to a stop and starting from a red light. Has happened 20 times since I have owned it. Happened once on the freeway in rush hour traffic. Once you restart the transmission takes up to 10 seconds to shift in the selected gear. Also, windows failed to operate on one occasion, had to stop turn off engine and restart to get to work. A/C blower turns off intermittently. Blue tooth has stopped working with phone. I cannot hear the people anymore through the stereo.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 202016

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls at random times but most often when putting into reverse after sitting for a while. It has stalled while driving on major roads which could have been life threatening. The transmission also shifts very jerky at times for no real reason. The windshield wipers will come on randomly and usually seem tied to turn on the turn signals which happen to be on the other control knob. Lights will dim on nav/radio when windshield wipers are turned on. I would say there is an obvious electrical/computer issue that must be causing these things to happen. I have read hundreds of similar complaints.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Wrangler

The wipers come on intermittently with no input. Dealer would not fix because they could not recreate the issue. I believe this to be a problem with the tipm which controls many functions, including the airbag deployment. I'm concerned this malfunction is pointing to a larger underlying problem.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jul 152016

Wrangler

Airbag light displayed and will not turn off, along with intermittent chime. Failure occurred on 7/15/2016 at about 37400 miles. Jeep dealer service dept (autonation Chrysler Jeep arapahoe, centennial, co) confirmed that the clockspring had failed. Not repaired due to part unavailability. Vehicle is a 2013 Jeep Wrangler rubicon.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 112016

Wrangler

The contact owned a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vent controls failed to work for the heat and air conditioner intermittently. In addition, there may have been toxic fumes emitting through the vents when the heat or air conditioner were activated, which affected a child passenger's breathing. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than three times, but they were unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. In addition, the contact was not experiencing any engine failures before the vehicle was taken to the dealer for a manufacturer recall where the dealer replaced the engine sensors and the transmission. The service engine light illuminated after the repair. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who provided no solution after the recall repair. The contact noticed that shortly after leaving the dealer, smoke emitted into the vehicle and flames appeared under the hood. The contact was able to exit the vehicle and the fire department extinguished the flames. A report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed and was towed to the contacts residence. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they would provide an investigation. The contact was still waiting on a response from the manufacturer. The failure mileage was not available.

- Queens, NY, USA

Jul 312016

Wrangler

My Jeep was parked on the street in front of my house for about 13 hours and a electrical fire started on the front passenger side at around 3am. It burned half the vehicle before being put out and totaled out my Jeep. It also damaged the entire back end of the car parked in front of me. The fire department ruled this was a electrical fire and not arson. Days before I noticed the outside temp was reading at 119 degrees out side when the temp was actually 99 degrees. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it but I found it very odd. I have read thousands of incidents similar to this some involving worst property damage and even cases with fatalities. I think Chrysler/Jeep need to be held accountable for this and get these dagerous vehicles off the streets asap

- Compton, CA, USA

Jun 062016

Wrangler

Woke up approx. 0230 to find my 2013 Jeep Wrangler sport engulfed in flames in my driveway. The last time the Jeep was running was approx. 8pm the night prior.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Feb 162016

Wrangler

Windshield wipers do not work. Fog lights do not work. Engine light and traction control lights come on and off at random. Dealer advised tipm is bad and must be replaced. Back log on replacement part and ship date is unknown.

- Hernando, MS, USA

Mar 252016

Wrangler

Vehicle stalled without warning. It has stalled 5 times while driving with no warning at different speeds and after different driving times. This time I had only driven 5 mins and about 300 yrds when it stalled. It has not started 2 times prior when leaving work. After 10mins the vehicle started and I drove it another 515 miles to dealership. Waiting to see what they do after the 5th time at the dealership. This thing is going to kill me one day. It has already stalled on the interstate at 60mph. It is only a matter of time.

Aug 012015

Wrangler

Jeep has been stalling for 7 months. Been in shop 9 times. Jeep stalls going at different spends, while stopped, moving at idle in forward or reverse. Jeep will not start unless terminal on battery removed or sits for awhile. Transmission fails to engage occasionally in reverse or drive after stalling. Last program download appears to be a fault with the tipm (totally intergrated power module). Ptm and tpm changed out due to different readings in downloads. Mechanic believes now, that the tipm is faulty. Jeep has stalled up to 5 & 6 times on some days.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Feb 152016

Wrangler

Failed tipm. Waiting weeks on tipm to be available. On national back order due to failure of part. Chrysler continues to have tipm issues in additional to the already recalled years/models.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Feb 162016

Wrangler

Tipm is defective causing electrical faults in the headlights, transfer case, brakes and windshield wipers

- Sandston, VA, USA

Feb 262016

Wrangler

Tipm failure. Blower motor for heat/ac stopped working. This part was replaced under warranty at approx 25K miles and now the problem is back. This is a widespread Jeep/Chrysler issue which they have come to settlements on for other models. This issue needs to be addressed for the Wrangler model line.

- Chester, NY, USA

Feb 282016

Wrangler

Got vehicle back from dealership after 5 different stallings and 3 times it did not start this is 3rd time at dealership. No code came up, tech drove 20 mins and they had no problem, said come pick up your vehicle. Got vehicle back on Thursday, drove Friday 240 miles with one stop in the middle with no issues. Drove back home 240 miles 2 days later, 3 hours and 45 mins into 4 hour drive, it stalled out with no warning. On single lane secluded road outside miami. Krome ave- no passing 2 lane road. Car stalled out with no warning. Was able to drift to side of road, waited 5 mins and it started back up. After it had stalled out and was on side of the road, it showed the lightning bolt in the venturi symbol. I escaped death and injury again. I have decided to get an insurance death policy on me. I think my luck is going to be running out after this being the 6th time stalling and 3rd time not starting. What do I do now"????" I have put a lot of money in this Jeep, with bumpers a lift kit.... I have no idea what to do. Chrysler is not helping. They have had other Chrysler vehicles including Jeep Cherokee that were recalled with this same problem but yet they cant fix my vehicle. I guess there were more rich people driving the other vehicles.

Feb 092016

Wrangler

Upon starting this vehicle in my driveway in preparation to go to work, the wipers came on and will not turn off, or slow down.this is a right hand drive Jeep- I am a mail carrier and I have to have this to work six days a week. A week later the front power windows would not work for a period of time. The rear windows would work. Later in the day they suddenly started working again.I now have to raise the hood and pull the fuse to stop the wipers. The Jeep dealership tells me I have a faulty tipm and will have to buy a new one - $1019. It has been two weeks and they still do not have this part to repair the problem. I would guess the delay is due to the high demand for replacement tipms because they continue to use the defective ones in manufacture. This Jeep is only three years old, and I see that earlier years have had recalls for faulty tipms and even a lawsuit involving older models than mine.. this is obviously a problem Jeep knows about and has experienced for many years without correcting it.they obviously have continued to knowingly install faulty tipms in their vehicles. They should be held accountable and not make owners pay for something that they know is faulty when they manufactured it.

- Castlewood, VA, USA

Feb 142016

Wrangler

Jeep stalls on occasion. Very annoying. Usually starts right up and no check engine light.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 102016

Wrangler

My Jeep engine stalled completely. I was taking off from a stop light on a 4 lane highway and it stalled with no warning. I was able to roll to a side road. I waited 5 mins and I was ablet to start it back up, replaced what I thought was the battery. 3 days later was on a busy interstate in downtown miami and it completely stalled again. In the middle of a busy 6 lane highway, I was very lucky to get through the traffic and roll into the median. I waited 5 minutes and was able to start it again. Drove directly to dealership that said it will take weeks to fix. Also have issue with lurching transmission at between 1500 to 1600 RPM. It clunks into the next gear. Also, getting electrical issues with cigarrete lighter. When using a charger in cigarrete lighter the radio does not work, it becomes just static.

Jun 102015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering) and 14V631000 (electrical system, visibility) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Dec 052015

Wrangler

About a year ago the Jeep would lose power driving on the road, the ignition light would come on and then in 4 or 5 second it would regain power, this happened about 3 times and I took it back to the dealer I purchased it from in crawfordsville, Indiana. They said that they fixed it and for about a year I had no problem's. it has done the same thing twice in the last two weeks and I have now taken it back to the dealer again. The last time this happened I was on a ramp going from one interstate to another with a semi riding my rear bumper and if the power had not come back on quickly I would propably not be here today to report this.

- Coatesville, IN, USA