2014 Jeep Wrangler body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Wrangler:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Aug 112016

Unknown reason: My Jeep was sitting in the driveway while I was at work and caught fire. This fire from the Jeep caught my house on fire as well. My neighbor heard a few explosions and went outside to see what was going on. He took the attached picture after he called the fire department. We are waiting for the insurance adjuster to come out to see the damage.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 282015

I had been driving for 5 kms. And it started smoking and went up in flames. Have 11,000 kms on it. Very low for a 2014. All check ups and oil changes to date by dealership.

- Winnipeg, CA, USA

Apr 052015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Easter Sunday morning drove from country home 7 miles into town to church, no stopping and slowing down just a couple of times. Parked, locked vehicle and walked into church lobby. Stopped to speak to a man when he noticed black smoke in the parking lot. Turned and saw that it was coming from under the hood of my Jeep. Within a minute flames started. Fire department was called and responded within a few minutes, but not before flames from the passenger front side jumped onto the car parked next to the Jeep. Both vehicles were burned up and totaled. Flames started on the front right side (passenger).

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Mar 242014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I am requesting that dot NHTSA investigate the stress fracture to my front windshield which suddenly occurred in late February of 2015. The Jeep was parked in my mother's driveway in New Jersey for approximately 3 weeks due to the birth of my baby and inclement weather. During that period a great deal of ice and snow accumulated. Eventually I started the vehicle, and started clearing the car. I noticed a crack in the window on the passenger side running from the bottom toward the top, approximately 4"-5" long that had not been there before. After 15 minutes the crack spread to 6" across and then back down the windshield to the point where it partly blocked the front windshield. The window feels perfectly smooth, both inside and outside the car. It clearly formed inside the window. I took the Jeep to the local dealer who said it was a stress fracture probably due to freezing conditions along with the heat from the defroster. The individual I spoke with conceded it was in all probability a manufacturing defect since he had heard of "a lot of other cases like mine" but would not be quoted on that. He contacted Chrysler who refused to cover the windshield damage because although I only had the vehicle for seven months, the mileage was over 12,000. I have continued to investigate incidences of stress fracture damage to front windshields in the Jeep and have collected a significant amount of data through numerous complaint blogs that supports the fact that either the Jeep windshields themselves are defective or some problem with the vehicle design itself makes it possible for considerable heat to be trapped between the windshield and dashboard to the point where stress causes the window to crack. Rather than address the issue, Chrysler is instead forcing owners to go through their private insurance for repairs. Please formally investigate."

- Murrells Inlet , SC, USA

Jun 282014

Wrangler 6-cyl

I purchased a 2014 Jeep Wrangler, unlimited freedom edition on February 21, 2014. On June 28, 2014, I was driving the above named Jeep on an interstate at a speed of approximately 65-70 mph. The Jeep has a "soft" top. (I have never touched the top because I didn't know how to perform the task of retracting the top to fold down or fold it up to reattach the top. I decided that when I wanted to retract the top that I'd have to read the instructions from the Jeep owner's guide and then perform the task. I've had the Jeep for approximately 4 months. I don't drive it much, therefore I had not decided to try and perform that task yet.) as I was traveling on the interstate, as mentioned above, the top on the Jeep unpredictably flew open and backward. The Jeep top, after the incident, was hanging on the Jeep about 1/4 parts on the rear top of the Jeep. The remainder of the Jeep top had broken and detached from the body structure of the Jeep from the upper front top to about 3/4 parts of the way backward, toward the rear of the Jeep. I was so afraid and in horrific shock! I pulled over off the interstate and turned the Jeep off. I was shaking out of fear and shock from this incident. All I could think at that moment was..."what if that top had flown all the way off of the Jeep and caused another person in a vehicle near me, on the interstate, to have an accident and perhaps been killed". I am horrified!!! I, personally, would consider this a serious safety defect!

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Sep 022013

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the hood latch became unsecured, causing the hood to lift and bounce while the vehicle was in motion. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the latches were replaced but the failure was not remedied. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 200.

- Dodge City , KS, USA