2014 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Wrangler:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jan 052016

Wrangler

As stated on www.jeepproblems.com/tsbs/Wrangler/2014/ a report of a malfunction on the oil engine pressure sensor circuit has been reported as malfunctioning. See below. Date reported: June 06, 2014 NHTSA reference: #10056046 tsb reference: #sb-18-034-14 description: On some model vehicles and Jeep, (my 2013-2014)malfunction indicator lamp (mil) illuminates and diagnostic trouble code (dtc) is set regarding engine oil pressure sensor circuit. In order for us to correct the issue we have to take the vehicle into the Jeep facility pay $100 for the diagnostic check to be completed and an additional $252 for the circuit to be corrected and replaced. The vehicle currently has 47,000 on it and after we spoke with Jeep corporate they specified that the only way they would even look into it is for us to has the service done and provide them with a ticket number. This is understandable but the local Jeep company located in jacksonville, North Carolina only has a next available appointment 5 days from now on January 11, 2016. This is a major issue with us driving the vehicle as this vehicle is also the vehicle that Transport a child with a brain injury from a vehicle accident. So from our understanding we can either drive the vehicle which could possibly lock up because the engine is not getting enough oil pressure to it, or, we can wait 5 days with not driving our vehicle and have the malfunction corrected. We were informed that they would not correct the issue for free because technically it has not been placed on a recall list as of yet. This is putting families in danger and uncalled for. Especially when the malfunction has been identified by the company itself.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Dec 152015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the rear brake pads wore out prematurely. In addition, the contact mentioned that while replacing the brakes, he noticed that there was a high pressure oil leak coming from the oil filter housing and as a result, it needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

Nov 152015

Wrangler

Oil filter housing/cooler leak breaks on numerous low mileage Wrangler, mostly on or before 25,000 miles. Mine was at 21,000 miles when it crack and leaked profusely. This leaks spread quickly and motor oil was gathering on the exhaust pipe under the engine bay. This created smoke from the burning oil which could eventually lead to a vehicle fire. I was lucky enough to find the issue quickly and diagnose it. This also is an environmental issue, having fluids especially engine oil, leak onto roadways or other driving surfaces. Jeep has yet to formally admit to this issue, those several if not all dealers are aware of this issue in the 2014 year model. Cherokee owners are also reporting the same issue, and come to find out the Wrangler and Cherokee share this same exact part. Jeep has focused on cutting productions costs rather than safety. This needs to be addressed to Jeep and Chrysler immediately.

- Jber, AK, USA

Nov 122015

Wrangler

Noticed a burning oil smell and traced down the source as a cracked oil filter adaptor. Took it to a repair shop where they examined the part and verified that was the source of the oil leak.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 132015

Wrangler

Observed oil leaking from the bottom of the vehicle and was able to locate the source of the leak on the top part of the engine around the oil filter. The leak was caused by a crack in the oil cooler housing and oil was covering the top part of the engine and running down on to the transmission and the exhaust. My vehicle only had 9516 mi on it so I decided to check on line to see if anyone else was having this problem with 2014 Wrangler. I was able to locate at lease 50 other complaints with the exact same problem. This issue is just not an inconvenience but a safety hazard as well because oil on top of the engine and the exhaust is a fire hazard. This leak occurred both white the vehicle was moving and sitting still. The vehicle is currently being repaired at the dealer.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 032015

Wrangler

Oil leak at the top of the motor, very common and seems to not be getting fixed and could cause issue stranding owners or with potential fire. Part number that is causing the issue is 68105583. Has been fixed but not sure when it will fail again and not be under warranty or cause me to be stranded int he back country.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Sep 032015

Wrangler

August 14 2014 I buy the Jeep in Nov 11 I toke the Jeep for over heed they test and told me nothing was found on set 5 the Jeep over heed again I take to the dealer again they tell me nothing was found I know something is wrong because for no reasoned my radiator become empty please help. I want a new 2014 Jeep with out any problem check your record for recall on the engine

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Aug 232015

Wrangler

Went to start car from off position. Engine starts and stalls. Does this 3 times until it doesn't start anymore.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Apr 292015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. While the brake pedal was depressed, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted, but the failure recurred numerous times. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 9,000.

- Somers, NC, USA

Apr 052015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Easter Sunday morning drove from country home 7 miles into town to church, no stopping and slowing down just a couple of times. Parked, locked vehicle and walked into church lobby. Stopped to speak to a man when he noticed black smoke in the parking lot. Turned and saw that it was coming from under the hood of my Jeep. Within a minute flames started. Fire department was called and responded within a few minutes, but not before flames from the passenger front side jumped onto the car parked next to the Jeep. Both vehicles were burned up and totaled. Flames started on the front right side (passenger).

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Apr 172015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle was taken to the dealership for an oil change, the employee told me there was a major oil leak. I had to leave my vehicle at the dealership so they could figure out where the oil leak was. I was advised that the oil was leaking from the oil adaptor and that there was a crack in the part.

- Holly, MI, USA

Apr 162015

Wrangler

I had a cracked oil filter housing adapter that caused a big oil leak.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Apr 092015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate, I accidentally bumped the keys of my Jeep Wrangler unlimited with my knee, and the key turned counter-clockwise enough to turn the car off. Obviously, when the car turned off, the brakes and steering lost power. Luckily, there was no traffic around me, and I was able to carefully coast to the shoulder and re-start my car. My vehicle is manual, so I could have restarted from neutral, but based on discussion boards, automatics do not have that luxury. Doing a quick google search for "Jeep bump key" yields many discussions about this same problem. I understand that Jeep currently has a recall for this problem in commanders and Grand Cherokee, but there is nothing for Wrangler. I called my dealership, but they will not diagnose or replace anything for free without an active recall. I am 6' and do not sit excessively close to the steering wheel. My key chain is not large or cluttered, and it should not be that easy to turn off my Wrangler accidentally.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Apr 072015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle 3/31/15. Put 400 miles on vehicle and noticed burning oil smell. Checked underneath and noticed significant oil leak all around engine coming from the upper part of engine. Took into shop and they diagnosed problem of the oil filter adaptor part#68105583aa being cracked and oil pumping out of it. They called dealership(dewayne lane) in wa and they advised they "had plenty of those parts". mechanic then said, "oh! it's a recall then." Dealer then stated, "ahhhhhhh....no-but we sure replace a lot of those."

- Ketchikan, AK, USA

Mar 202015

Wrangler

I noticed a burning smell a few nights ago before noticing an oil spill in my garage. I looked under the help and saw oil everywhere! I wasn't sure where it was coming from. It looked like maybe a seal busted from the oil pan. I took it to the dealership right away since it was still under warranty. There is oil all over the rear of the engine, I feel it will eventually start a fire! this should be recalled since there are many Wrangler and other models with the same part, having the same issue!

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Mar 182015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Cracked oil cooler/filter housing causing oil leak and burning oil at top of motor.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Mar 132015

Wrangler

Noticed oil in the garage after finally being able to park inside. Called Jeep dealership in niagara falls, NY but they were unable to schedule me an appointment for 5 days. The snow/ice in the driveway melted and I discovered oil stains on the cement pad where I had been parking. I was able to get into the Jeep dealership in batavia, NY today and they called with the bad news of a cracked oil cooler spraying oil all down the back of the engine. Isn't this a fire hazard. They have replaced 4 on other vehicles with the same engine this year (2015) already. Thee should be a recall with a proper replacement. The current replacement is oem stock.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Feb 192015

Wrangler

Oil housing cooler was apparently cracked and leaking oil onto my engine. The cel came on and vehicle itself gave no error codes. Made an appointment and took it to the dealership. Probably put 40 miles on it in between not noticing oil loss being parked on the street. Spouse noticed loss of acceleration during trip home from work. Jeep didn't seem to be running any different so drove it to the dealership. I don't know how low my oil pressure was and if it caused damage to my engine. Did notice a good amount of oil on the ground after the fact.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Feb 072015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Burning smell, oil spots and puddles under vehicle. Dealer diagnosed oil leak coming from cracked oil filter adapter housing. Part is defective and allows significant and dangerous amounts of oil to collect in the engine compartment. Technician found valley of engine full of oil, under vehicle, on transmission and oil accumulated in the skid plates under the vehicle. Oil accumulation poses significant danger and fire hazard with potential serious damage to vehicle engine and its occupants in the event of engine compartment fire due to accumulated oil in the engine valley. Chrysler case manager and service manager acknowledged part is a manufacturers defect. Part was replaced under warranty. Dealer reported they are seeing 2014 vehicles come in with this problem.

- New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jan 272015

Wrangler

Burning smell of oil, part was cracked. Dealership even said it is a poor design. This needs to be a recall. This could've been a fire or an engine disaster with the amount of oil coming out of the vehicle.

- Rockville, MD, USA