5.3

2014 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Wrangler:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 032015

Wrangler

August 14 2014 I buy the Jeep in Nov 11 I toke the Jeep for over heed they test and told me nothing was found on set 5 the Jeep over heed again I take to the dealer again they tell me nothing was found I know something is wrong because for no reasoned my radiator become empty please help. I want a new 2014 Jeep with out any problem check your record for recall on the engine

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Aug 232015

Wrangler

Went to start car from off position. Engine starts and stalls. Does this 3 times until it doesn't start anymore.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Apr 292015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. While the brake pedal was depressed, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted, but the failure recurred numerous times. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 9,000.

- Somers, NC, USA

Apr 052015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Easter Sunday morning drove from country home 7 miles into town to church, no stopping and slowing down just a couple of times. Parked, locked vehicle and walked into church lobby. Stopped to speak to a man when he noticed black smoke in the parking lot. Turned and saw that it was coming from under the hood of my Jeep. Within a minute flames started. Fire department was called and responded within a few minutes, but not before flames from the passenger front side jumped onto the car parked next to the Jeep. Both vehicles were burned up and totaled. Flames started on the front right side (passenger).

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Apr 172015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle was taken to the dealership for an oil change, the employee told me there was a major oil leak. I had to leave my vehicle at the dealership so they could figure out where the oil leak was. I was advised that the oil was leaking from the oil adaptor and that there was a crack in the part.

- Holly, MI, USA

Apr 162015

Wrangler

I had a cracked oil filter housing adapter that caused a big oil leak.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Apr 092015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate, I accidentally bumped the keys of my Jeep Wrangler unlimited with my knee, and the key turned counter-clockwise enough to turn the car off. Obviously, when the car turned off, the brakes and steering lost power. Luckily, there was no traffic around me, and I was able to carefully coast to the shoulder and re-start my car. My vehicle is manual, so I could have restarted from neutral, but based on discussion boards, automatics do not have that luxury. Doing a quick google search for "Jeep bump key" yields many discussions about this same problem. I understand that Jeep currently has a recall for this problem in commanders and Grand Cherokee, but there is nothing for Wrangler. I called my dealership, but they will not diagnose or replace anything for free without an active recall. I am 6' and do not sit excessively close to the steering wheel. My key chain is not large or cluttered, and it should not be that easy to turn off my Wrangler accidentally.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Apr 072015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle 3/31/15. Put 400 miles on vehicle and noticed burning oil smell. Checked underneath and noticed significant oil leak all around engine coming from the upper part of engine. Took into shop and they diagnosed problem of the oil filter adaptor part#68105583aa being cracked and oil pumping out of it. They called dealership(dewayne lane) in wa and they advised they "had plenty of those parts". mechanic then said, "oh! it's a recall then." Dealer then stated, "ahhhhhhh....no-but we sure replace a lot of those."

- Ketchikan, AK, USA

Mar 202015

Wrangler

I noticed a burning smell a few nights ago before noticing an oil spill in my garage. I looked under the help and saw oil everywhere! I wasn't sure where it was coming from. It looked like maybe a seal busted from the oil pan. I took it to the dealership right away since it was still under warranty. There is oil all over the rear of the engine, I feel it will eventually start a fire! this should be recalled since there are many Wrangler and other models with the same part, having the same issue!

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Mar 182015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Cracked oil cooler/filter housing causing oil leak and burning oil at top of motor.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Mar 132015

Wrangler

Noticed oil in the garage after finally being able to park inside. Called Jeep dealership in niagara falls, NY but they were unable to schedule me an appointment for 5 days. The snow/ice in the driveway melted and I discovered oil stains on the cement pad where I had been parking. I was able to get into the Jeep dealership in batavia, NY today and they called with the bad news of a cracked oil cooler spraying oil all down the back of the engine. Isn't this a fire hazard. They have replaced 4 on other vehicles with the same engine this year (2015) already. Thee should be a recall with a proper replacement. The current replacement is oem stock.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Feb 192015

Wrangler

Oil housing cooler was apparently cracked and leaking oil onto my engine. The cel came on and vehicle itself gave no error codes. Made an appointment and took it to the dealership. Probably put 40 miles on it in between not noticing oil loss being parked on the street. Spouse noticed loss of acceleration during trip home from work. Jeep didn't seem to be running any different so drove it to the dealership. I don't know how low my oil pressure was and if it caused damage to my engine. Did notice a good amount of oil on the ground after the fact.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Feb 072015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Burning smell, oil spots and puddles under vehicle. Dealer diagnosed oil leak coming from cracked oil filter adapter housing. Part is defective and allows significant and dangerous amounts of oil to collect in the engine compartment. Technician found valley of engine full of oil, under vehicle, on transmission and oil accumulated in the skid plates under the vehicle. Oil accumulation poses significant danger and fire hazard with potential serious damage to vehicle engine and its occupants in the event of engine compartment fire due to accumulated oil in the engine valley. Chrysler case manager and service manager acknowledged part is a manufacturers defect. Part was replaced under warranty. Dealer reported they are seeing 2014 vehicles come in with this problem.

- New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jan 272015

Wrangler

Burning smell of oil, part was cracked. Dealership even said it is a poor design. This needs to be a recall. This could've been a fire or an engine disaster with the amount of oil coming out of the vehicle.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jan 202015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I experienced the oil leak from the oil cooler. Replaced with the ab part. This could potentially be a devastating incident. Either too far away from dealer\shop or a fire. The amount of oil leaking was absurd. Clearly this should be a recall.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 142015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2014 Wrangler jk with 10,900 miles and I have a 5 mile drive to work. Two days ago, January 14, 2015 as I exited the vehicle, I smell burnt oil. I lifted the hood, I don't see anything like oil. I looked underneath for a drip or puddle, but I saw nothing. As I left work later that afternoon, I looked under the Jeep and there appeared to be a slight puddle of leaking oil. I drove 5 miles home. After I got there, I observed a good sized oil puddle on the driveway midway under Jeep with smoke coming out of the exhaust! I had Jeep towed to dealership and I was I just advised that it was the oil cooler/adapter housing. I had 10,900 miles on odometer when it occurred. I hope Chrysler engineers a replacement part fast! otherwise, the fine folks at Jeep may be looking at catastrophic engine failure and/or fire from oil coming in contact with hot engine or drive line parts on all of the my 2014 jks! this is a known issue that was first reported in May 2014.

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Dec 302014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I started Jeep, the radio channel mysteriously changed, drove approx 1 mile, came to a stop light at a busy mountain intersection and the entire Jeep blacked out, I lost all functions, we were almost rear ended and T boned at the same time, returned the Jeep to park and restarted. I took the Jeep to dealer they said they couldn't recreate problem, I drove Jeep off the property only to have it die at the first traffic light, put into park restarted only to have it die again. Finally made it back to Jeep, they've had it for a week and they claim they still cant find the problem. I don't trust the vehicle nor do I feel safe driving this vehicle in the mountains which is where I live. Also note, the entire vehicle lost all power, so does that mean the airbags wont deploy. This is unacceptable.

- Crestline, CA, USA

Nov 202014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The engine oil cooler/filter unit on top of the engine cracked spraying oil all over the engine and down in the engine valley. Then the oil leaked down and covered the underside of the vehicle.

- Crimora, VA, USA

Jan 052015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle is leaking oil at a rapid rate and smoking - could catch on fire cannot get it into a dealership in my area - was turned away because of lack of room/overcrowded. Warranty is trying to find a place to take it to but in the meantime I have nothing to drive and have a job and a child to get to school.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Dec 122014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Developed severe engine leak. Diagnosed it to be the oil filter housing filter cracked. Required new adapter part number 68105583aa. This could cause a fire or engine being drained of all oil. This appears to be a known issue after doing a google search.

- Pascoag, RI, USA