2014 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Wrangler:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 042016

Wrangler

On 12/04/2016 I was driving on the freeway at around 80mph when a load explosion stopped my engine. I immediate stopped as smoke started to come inside the cabin. As soon as I exited the vehicle I noticed a big fire under the car and insure the hood. I was able to put the fire out using 3 fire extinguishers. This really could've escalated quickly. I noticed a big hole on the side of the engine. Looks like it threw a rod since the oil pressure was low. Probably due to faulty oil filter mount. The exact reason for the engine failure and subsequent fire hasn┐T been determined yet as the dealer will ot look at it until Chrysler sends an investigator to determine the cause. Chrysler will not send an investigator and is asking for the dealer to look at it. It's been over 10 days and nothing has been done. So far, neither party has taken the issue seriously. The car is still under warranty.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 042016

Wrangler

Engine threw a rod while driving. Vehicle caught on fire.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 022016

Wrangler

I've noticed for the past few months like leakage on the ground but have yet to pinpoint the exact location. I took it to the Jeep dealership and asked if they have had any issues with leaks and danced around the question and said I would need to leave it for a mechanic to look at it, I asked if my warranty was still valid and the had ran my VIN and said it was expired......which is puzzling cause I have around 30K miles on it. So I still have a mystery leak and reading up on different forums seems to be on ongoing issues with cooling oil lines or oil filter adapter, oil cooler cooler.

- Corrales, NM, USA

Dec 052016

Wrangler

3,6 oil filter adapter leaking. Have 38,000 on vehicle, got oil changed on Monday evening and Wednesday morning noticed a burned oil smell and a cloud of smoke off motor after short drive to work. Have oil slick underneath vehicle when came out that afternoon. Went directly back to dealership, and they advised that they had done nothing wrong, but was a bad oil filter adapter. I see a lot of them appear to fail, but the timing is suspect. Has the replacement part been upgraded to prevent future failures?

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 222016

Wrangler

For months I smelled antifreeze from the front of the Jeep but there were no leaks. After a month I found dried antifreeze on the bottom of the radiator passenger side. The Jeep was under warranty and was repaired by dealer. My friend also with a new 2014 Wrangler also had same problem. Thank you joey

- Coram, NY, USA

Oct 202016

Wrangler

I have a Wrangler sahara unlimited 2014. Around 48,000 miles I smelled burning oil an noticed oil leaking under the carriage when the car was parked. I took it to the dealership and they indicated that the oil cooler was leaking. The engine was filled with oil. They replaced the oil cooler and adapter. This is a potential fire hazard. I hope Jeep replaced the damaged part withone that will prevent the problem from reoccurring.

- Chestnut Ridge, NY, USA

Oct 132016

Wrangler

Burning smell for a couple of days, took it in and they had to replace my oil cooler. Engine was filled with oil and it was a major leak from the back. Part #68105583-ae was put in it's place and I have a sneaking suspicion it was part #68105583-aa that was broken since it was made out of plastic! my Jeep has 32K miles, and is under warranty, but this is too much! recall please!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 152016

Wrangler

I recently starting to smell burning oil in my Jeep. I didn't think much of it, and figured there may have been a minor spill or the old oil was burning off after my recent oil change. But after a couple of days, the smell remained and I noticed an oil stain where I park this Jeep in my driveway. I then thought that maybe my mechanic failed to properly install my oil filter after the last oil change. But turns out, the oil filter housing was leaking oil. This is potentially very dangerous and now has to be replaced. And from what I understand, this part is made from plastic and has caused many problems with this specific model year. My sister, who has the same year and model also had to have hers replaced. I only have 50K highway miles on this vehicle. I also noticed that the replacement part has a different part number, so Jeep may have made a modification to the part. I hope so!

- Suffern, NY, USA

Sep 282016

Wrangler

2014 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 3.6. oil filter adapter leaking oil. Vehicle has less then 20 thousand miles on it. Took it to the dealer about six months ago and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Took it in two days ago showed the service department pictures of the oil on my garage floor. After reading consumer complaints (2014 Jeep Wrangler 3.6) I told the service department to look at the oil filter adapter. Service department called me the next day and said " you have a oil leak from the oil filter adapter". is this going to be an ongoing problem" will I have to replace this part every 20 thousand miles" I reached out to Chrysler twice about this problem and have gotten know response. I feel there is a potential for and engine fire if Chrysler does not come up with a permanent fix.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Sep 152016

Wrangler

Had my oil changed and shortly after smelled burning oil. Didn't think much of it, figured there may have been a minor spill or the old oil was burning off. After a couple of days, the smell remained and I noticed an oil stain where I parked my car. Thought they forgot to put the screw back in but turns out, the oil filter housing was leaking oil. This is potentially very dangerous and now has to be replaced. From what I understand, this part is made from plastic and has caused many problems with this specific model year. A friend of mine also had to replace his. Only have 30K miles on the vehicle so make sure that when you get your oil changed, whoever is servicing the vehicle does not tighten down the filter too much because it can cause the plastic part to crack. Looks like the replacement part has a different number so Jeep may have made a modification to the part.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Aug 162016

Wrangler

Did oil and filter change at the dealership. I got on the freeway and looked at my rear window when I saw smoke. Did not think of it much since I figured its the old oil burning. Drove for a good 2-3 miles and it was getting worse. Pulled over to the side and a lot of smoke got inside the vehicle. Got out and the oil was draining over the muffler, transmission cover that was causing the smoke. I thought they forgot to put the screw back on or the oil filter loose. Called the dealership told them what happened and called a tow truck. Once at the dealership, was told by the tech that it might of been the oil cooler that was draining or got cracked, he said that this is pretty common. I checked online for recalls but did not find any but I did notice a lot of Jeep forums online that this was an issue with this model yr. This could be a fire hazard with all that oil draining on the muffler and the engine. Bad design overall! I even know that, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out, its common sense. Making parks with plastic pipes" by the engine and in a hot area" it might be to save money in parts but I am paying on a $40000 Jeep. Got the part 68105583aa replaced with 68105583ae. Hopefully this got motified.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Jul 152016

Wrangler

The oil filter canister #68105583aa cracked bleeding oil profusely.

- Bucyrus, OH, USA

Nov 302015

Wrangler

I purchased my Jeep Wrangler sport 2014 with less than 9000 miles on it, drove from fl to co twice. Second time I got to co, car started leaking oil and hasn't stopped since (6+ months). Also, when I accelerate something smells like it's burning. Oil light will not turn off.

- Centennial, CO, USA

May 172016

Wrangler

Coolant leak from radiator, passenger side top corner under shroud. I have two 2014 Jeep with the same leak. Seems to be a manufacturing defect as there are many threads on the internet with the same issue. My warranty is expired but these are only 2 years old and should not be failing like this.

- Brooklyn, CT, USA

Mar 212016

Wrangler

Around 14K miles my 2014 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon (3.6L) began leaking oil. I have taken it into the shop 4 different times and no issue with the filter or drain plug can be found. It now leaks oil profusely (15K) and constantly has a burning smell after driven for a short period of time. My service center has noted that my engine has an "oil filter adapter" which appears to be new for this model year and the leak appears to be emanating from that area. After reading various articles on different forums, it appears that the part # in question is 68105583aa and applies only to 2014 3.6L Chrysler V6 engines.

- Johnston, IA, USA

Feb 122016

Wrangler

My new 2014 Jeep Wrangler sahara which was purchased July 2014 which costs me 37K, plus additional 3K for life time warranty is leaking oil. As per Jeep forums and car compliants web site the issue is happening to other Jeep owners as well and should be recalled. It is the cracked oil filter adapter and find it strange that kendall Jeep dealer in miami is not aware of this issue as I took in today to assistantservice mgr. Miguel obregon please let me know how to resolve this issue asap.

- Palmetto Bay, FL, USA

Feb 122016

Wrangler

'takata recall" my new 2014 Jeep Wrangler sahara which was purchased July 2014 which costs me 37K, plus additional 3K for life time warranty is leaking oil. As per Jeep forums and car compliants web site the issue is happening to other Jeep owners as well and should be recalled. It is the cracked oil filter adapter and find it strange that kendall Jeep dealer in miami is not aware of this issue as I took in today to assistant service mgr. Miguel obregon and they are claiming it could have happened by whomever did my oil change as it was not serviced by dealer.

- Palmetto Bay, FL, USA

Jan 072016

Wrangler

Oil adaptor/cooler cracking causing massive oil leak in 3.6L V6 engines for 2014 models. Jeep forums are buzzing with this issue and some of these leaks have resulted in fires. I took mine in after smelling a very strong burning oil smell (not due for an oil change for another 1,200 miles) and seeing oil on the floor of my garage. Jeep is undrivable in this condition and part has to be ordered due to high demand. Was told that Chrysler acknowledged the issue being widespread and even mentioned that a recall may be coming down the pipeline. But that doesn't help me and the hundreds of others I've seen who had to get this fixed thus far.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 052016

Wrangler

As stated on www.jeepproblems.com/tsbs/Wrangler/2014/ a report of a malfunction on the oil engine pressure sensor circuit has been reported as malfunctioning. See below. Date reported: June 06, 2014 NHTSA reference: #10056046 tsb reference: #sb-18-034-14 description: On some model vehicles and Jeep, (my 2013-2014)malfunction indicator lamp (mil) illuminates and diagnostic trouble code (dtc) is set regarding engine oil pressure sensor circuit. In order for us to correct the issue we have to take the vehicle into the Jeep facility pay $100 for the diagnostic check to be completed and an additional $252 for the circuit to be corrected and replaced. The vehicle currently has 47,000 on it and after we spoke with Jeep corporate they specified that the only way they would even look into it is for us to has the service done and provide them with a ticket number. This is understandable but the local Jeep company located in jacksonville, North Carolina only has a next available appointment 5 days from now on January 11, 2016. This is a major issue with us driving the vehicle as this vehicle is also the vehicle that Transport a child with a brain injury from a vehicle accident. So from our understanding we can either drive the vehicle which could possibly lock up because the engine is not getting enough oil pressure to it, or, we can wait 5 days with not driving our vehicle and have the malfunction corrected. We were informed that they would not correct the issue for free because technically it has not been placed on a recall list as of yet. This is putting families in danger and uncalled for. Especially when the malfunction has been identified by the company itself.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Dec 152015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the rear brake pads wore out prematurely. In addition, the contact mentioned that while replacing the brakes, he noticed that there was a high pressure oil leak coming from the oil filter housing and as a result, it needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA