2014 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Wrangler:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Aug 082016

While driving, the vehicle, which was 3 days new to us, exhibited the classic Jeep death wobble. The vehicle started to violently shake from side to side and only stopped once the brake was activated. This happened 4 times before the alignment was righted and a part replaced.

- Verona, WI, USA

Sep 262016

The steering wheel has a 2" play and is causing me to compensate on every drive now. This has started approximatly 10,000 mile previous, but has increased steadily over the past few months. I'm told I need a new steering gear box installed.

- Rollingstone, MN, USA

Aug 132015

Making a right hand turn at low speed, vehicle kept turning (drifting) right, attempted to correct to the left with no response, vehicle collided with a barrier post. Jeep sustained significant front suspension damage, right fender and right wheel. At time of estimate, repair shop had found that the steering box had sheared and stated that the impact should not have caused this damage. They are investigating and will know more when they begin tear down.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 172015

Incident 1.) on August 17th, 2015 around 8:00 pm I was driving in the left lane of the gsp traveling at approximately 70 mph when my vehicle erroneously accelerated to 80 mph while simultaneously pulling slightly to the left. At first, I thought my carpet had been stuck but I quickly realized that this was not the case. Being I had a manual shift, I immediately was able to shift into neutral. In doing so, the engine was still revving high thus making a loud engine sound (I did not get to see the actual RPM.) I began kicking the side of the gas pedal while trying to pull slightly to the right to keep the vehicle on the road. Eventually the car just went back to normal. This whole process may have been about twenty to thirty seconds long. Incident 2.) on August 18th, 2015 around 6:20 am (not even 12 hours from the first incident above) I was driving in the left lane of the gsp traveling at approximately 70- 75 mph when my vehicle erroneously braked hard as if it was a ┐┐brake check┐Ł and the ABS traction control light lit at the same time. It was like I slammed on my brakes only this happened while my foot was on the accelerator. I quickly looked in my rear view mirror and saw the car behind me shoot into the adjacent lane to my right in avoidance of a collision with my rear of the vehicle. This happened quickly and harshly and then it was over. I moved into the right lane and continued to work with caution. I called my local Jeep service center and explained my situation. They were going to schedule me for the earliest appointment of August 31st 2015 but I stressed that this was not good enough as it was a potential serious safety issue to myself and others. I was directed to bring it in tomorrow 8-19-15 in the morning.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Apr 132015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at 15 mph and making a left turn, the steering wheel seized without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. There were no injuries reported and no police report was filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 102015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The Jeep is less than a year old. It was handling very poorly on the road so I took it to have it checked. Jeep considers these wear items not covered under warranty. My shop said the one's on Jeep are junk and they have seen failures as low as 326 miles! my Dodge truck had a similar issue at 75K miles and Dodge replaced the whole front end. Not Jeep. If you search the websites you will find the conclusion is that the parts Jeep uses are junk. I replaced them with aftermarket parts from moog which has a lifetime warranty. I was not going to risk my family by installing cheap dangerous factory parts. My cost was $1600 to fix a new truck! no wonder Jeep is rated the second worse vehicle made next to Fiat! this is a serious issue that most consumers are unaware of. I thought it was a joke at first. When they showed me the parts, which I still have, there is zero resistance in 3 of the 4 ball joints. You should not be able to move them with your hard. They are like a pencil in a cup of water. Amazing they would risk there customers lives with such garbage parts on a new 40K vehicle! I have the parts if you want them. This leads to death wobble and dangerous handling vehicles. My wife was complaining that the rig wonders all over the road. I drove it and agreed it was dangerous as you had to constantly correct the and fight the wheel to keep it going straight down the highway. Not a safe situation and very dangerous. I figured is no one brought it to your attention it is only going to cost someone there life. It most likely already has. You would have to take the wrecked Jeep apart to see the defective steering components. Very disgusted on Jeep's decision to save a few dollars at the expensive of safety.

- Fox Island, WA, USA

Dec 302014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I started Jeep, the radio channel mysteriously changed, drove approx 1 mile, came to a stop light at a busy mountain intersection and the entire Jeep blacked out, I lost all functions, we were almost rear ended and T boned at the same time, returned the Jeep to park and restarted. I took the Jeep to dealer they said they couldn't recreate problem, I drove Jeep off the property only to have it die at the first traffic light, put into park restarted only to have it die again. Finally made it back to Jeep, they've had it for a week and they claim they still cant find the problem. I don't trust the vehicle nor do I feel safe driving this vehicle in the mountains which is where I live. Also note, the entire vehicle lost all power, so does that mean the airbags wont deploy. This is unacceptable.

- Crestline, CA, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number had execeeded a reasonable time for the repair. The dealer advised that they only received one part per month and the part received for the month had been used. The manufacturer was not contacted. The contact had not experienced a failure at this time.

- Dallas, TX, USA