2009 Kia Borrego transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Borrego:

2009 Kia Borrego Owner Comments

May 052011

Borrego 6-cyl

Purchased new 09 Borrego in June 2010. Transmission started slipping at 11,700 miles, would stay at 40mph with foot off of gas pedal, slipped in 3rd and 4th gears. Took in for repairs and they said they needed to replace the transmission and to come pick the Borrego up until the transmission could be shipped to them. The following day, the check engine light came on and the dealership said it was ok to drive it that way, and to just bring it in when the transmission came in. They replaced the transmission with a remanufactured transmission (never told us this, until we picked it up and read it on the service ticket). At 11,900, and only 200 miles after the replacement, it started slipping again. It was jerking very hard between park and this point, the service engine light was also on. I called and was told to wait for several days (the service department was too busy to get the vehicle in) and on the day of the appointment, went to leave home and the Borrego wouldn't go over 20mph. By the time I made it around the block to return home, it wouldn't go over 15mph. When I pulled out on the street where the speed limit was 45, I had cars ready to plow into me because I couldn't get the vehicle to go!!!! it is now back to the dealership (via flatbed tow truck). Since the vehicle has had gas tank issues (replaced tank and now the co inside the vehicle is at lethal levels), 4 attempts to get the airbag light off, chipping paint, seatbacks falling off, etc. We are now asking for Kia to repurchase the SUV and we will buy a car that's non Kia!!!!!

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Aug 052010

On my new Kia Borrego, 2009 with 6000 miles on it. While driving on the high way I was trying to stop quickly from 70 miles to avoid hitting the car in the front of me who suddenly stop due to some construction on the high way. I hit the brake very hard. The car start pulsating and shaking very hard. It was almost impossible to control the steering wheel. It was a horrifying moment before finally the car speed went to about 15 miles. When I tried to catch the traffic flow again, I pressed the gas paddle, however it the car felt very very heavy like I was dragging a train behind me, and the ESC light kept flashing in the dash board. I had to put the transmission handle from the auto mode to the manual mode. When I did that, I found the transmission was stuck and locked on the 4th speed. I had to pull the transmission handle back to the 1st speed then to the second before the car was able to run again, then I put the transmission on auto again. Dealer said it was a pad brake rotors and had to change all 4 of them. There was burning smell coming from the front brake sides and a lot of black dust covering the 4 whiles rems, dealer said it is a brake dust. Then they did upgrade to the computer regarding the transmission. That was the first time I have problem with the brake but the second time I have problem with the transmission. Very scary and unsafe.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 222010

My Kia new Borrego 2009 with 5800 miles on it. While driving on the high way the transmission was slipping. I was driving about 60 miles and tried to accelerate, the engine RPM went up to about 5000 with no transmission lock, the car was stalling without moving on the high way. I had to remove my foot from the gas paddle until RPM went down to about 2000 before the transmission locked back again and the car was able to run again, very very scary on the high way. I was like a lam duck unable to move. Dealer said it is a computer upgrade recall, after the upgrade, the transmission was so rough to drive, they said it may take 300 miles more before the computer adapt. Will wait and see!

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 062010

While the vehicle is running, the 2009 Kia Borrego becomes stuck in drive, not allowing the driver to put the vehicle in park. This has occurred twice, both times the dealer has indicated that it is due to a computer failure in the vehicle. There is significant safety risk in not being able to get the vehicle out of the drive position.

- Saunderstown, RI, USA