2010 Kia Forte drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Kia Forte:

2010 Kia Forte Owner Comments

May 102016

I have a 2010 Kia Forte koup. It runs and drives alright besides it makes such a knock. I have heard it could be a rod knock or a spud bearing etc. Need to kno if I'm under manufacturer warrenty as I'm not the original owner. Car only has 88,000 miles on it too. Also the place I took it to see what was wrong said it would be 2 grand to fix it. How do you expect me to do that as I'm making payments on the car and only had it since April of this year.

- Eriw, PA, USA

Oct 022015

Vehicle failed to start. Had vehicle towed to garage who stated that it was a problem with timing chain and should be covered under warranty. Had vehicle re-towed to dealership who stated that it was a bad timing chain and that it was not covered under warranty. This is not a belt, but a chain. The timing chain should be covered under the powertrain warranty. It's a necessary part for the powertrain to function properly. At the very least, the power train warranty should have covered this. Ten days to repair - $1200 out of pocket because it is not an easy replacement.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Forte 4-cyl

A few months back my shifter (automatic shifter) became sluggish and appeared to take more force to pull back into drive. Within the last month the vehicle now slips out of drive and into neutral. I have to hold the shifter back into drive (with force needed to keep pulling it back and maintain the "D" for drive on the odometer). If I am driving and I take my hand off of the shifter, it slips into neutral. This is creating an unsafe situation that hopefully is not occurring on many of these vehicles. There have been times that I have made my way into an intersection and have had my vehicle slip into neutral. In one case I was lucky to not get hit by pulling out to get into traffic and having it slip into neutral.

- Minooka , IL, USA

Oct 012013

Forte 4-cyl

Our 2010 Kia Forte ex lost 90% of power repeatedly (rpms drop to idle, regardless of throttle position) at speeds from 0-35mph. This is not the first occurrence, but I think it is the same problem. This is very dangerous if you are making a left turn and you lose acceleration, you can be in the way of oncoming traffic by losing power. About 2 years ago (25,000 miles or so) the tps (throttle position sensor) went out. Kia could not diagnose it until it threw a code (lame). Now we get the same issue, the vehicle is stalling, or "stumbling" when the speed should be constant or accelerating, but there is no engine code for the code reader to pickup yet, so the mechanics can't figure out what to do. Apparently this is a problem on many models of Kia/Hyundai and the mechanics don't recognize it so they can't fix it, and you are stuck with a dangerous condition. I think there should be a recall of these faulty tps sensors. Kia/Hyundai should at least issue a safety tsb (technical service bulletin) to clue in their mechanics as to what the problem is. Here's a great article showing the problem: thanks for your attention to this matter.

- Ogden, UT, USA

May 202013

Upon parking my vehicle, I could not shift out of drive or neutral, resulting in an inability to put my car in park and remove my keys. As I was unable to do this, I could not leave my vehicle and feared it could roll from its parking spot. At this time, the rear brake lights were not coming on when I would press the brakes. Also, my ESC control lights came on indicating this function was no longer working. When talking with the dealership, I learned there is an identical problem with other models that has resulted in a recall. However, my Forte was not included in this recall. After many attempts to restart my vehicle over fifteen minutes, I was finally able to put the car in park. However, my ESC light remained on after this.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Mar 172013

Three times I've noticed this. I park the Kia in my drive at night and in the morning it has slipped 4 or 5 feet down the driveway. The drive is on a slope, but nothing extreme. The Kia has an automatic transmission.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Jul 052011

Forte 4-cyl

The vehicle will sporadically jerk hard when changing gears. I have only ever experienced this same feeling when a transmission was going out. The vehicle was purchased brand new on 06/24/11 from a dealers lot, the vehicle had been used as a demo. The vehicle hard jerked when changing gears, four separate times between 06/25/11 and 07/05/11. Per this website: I am not the only person with this problem.

- Olathe, KS, USA

May 152010

I just bought a Kia Forte 5 speed manual transmission. So far when the car had 425 miles on it, the gas pedal has acted like it was depressed--the engine revved up very high, but my foot was not on the pedal. My daughter was also driving and it also happened to her, it felt as if the gas pedal was stuck. I checked to see if there was anything covering the pedal---maybe the rug or something but there was nothing there. I took it back to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with the computer diagnostics they ran and sent me home. The car has about 800 miles on it now and I haven't experienced any other such problems, yet. I am an experienced manual transmission driver and I do not accept that this was driver error. The times this happened to me my right foot was completely off the gas pedal and my left foot was depressing the clutch fully.

- Mooresville, NC, USA