2012 Kia Forte seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Forte:

2012 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Jul 282013

Forte

This is a correction to a complaint filed last week. I checked no on the fatalities question. The Kia was in a serious fatal frontal impact but the airbags did not deploy. Kia tested the airbag control module and it had no fault codes and did not record any crash data. Kia has the module now. The other cars airbags worked and the drunk driver survived...updated 10/15/15...updated 12/29/15

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Jul 282013

Forte

The car was involved in a serious frontal impact and the front seat airbags did not go off. The passenger was killed and the driver was seriously injured. Kia was informed and the airbag control module was tested and found to be not working.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Mar 292015

Forte

My daughter was stopped in traffic and was hit from behind causing her to hit the truck in front. The car was totaled and no airbags deployed.............

- Biscayne Park, FL, USA

Dec 152014

Forte 4-cyl

The car got a flat tire while taking a curve and hit a concrete pole. The car was total loss and all the front part was smashed. The steering wheel airbag was the only to deploy but did not deploy all the way, side airbags didn't deployed. Driver got a clavicle fracture.....updated 01/23/15 updated 2/11/16

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

May 302014

Forte

The contact owned a 2012 Kia Forte. The contact's vehicle was rear ended by another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the mouth, chin, lip, and sustained a concussion. The contact was hospitalized and received medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Covina, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Forte

We were driving our 2012 Kia Forte ex (sedan) which we had purchased brand new in December 2011 to the store to get bread and were on our way home (only about 2 minutes into the drive) when we saw smoke coming from the front of the car. We pulled over within about 50 feet of seeing it, put it in park- which by the time we did so, we lost all power and couldn't even get the key out of the ignition. We got out and my boyfriend tried to pop the hood but it was already so hot he couldn't do it... I ran about 20 feet away for safety reasons, so I am not sure where it started, but within about 30 seconds, the flames came out of the sides and front of the hood. My boyfriend thinks it was about where the fuse box is, because that is where he noticed the paint start to bubble off. He is a mechanic and has never seen anything like it. The entire front of the car, through the dash is disintegrated. My airbags melted and poured out of the dash and roof, upholstery melted off the seats, and door panels bubbled up. All the speakers blew and melted. It happened so quickly, if I had kids in the back or couldn't have pulled over in time, there could have been very serious injuries or deaths. I am very thankful it didn't happen on my way to work, as I drive in traffic on a highway with no shoulder. I had no electronic modifications. It was entirely stock, with the exception of window tint, exhaust, a lowering kit, and aftermarket tires and wheels--all which were installed by professionals. The car had 8900 miles on it and all maintenance work had been done. Even 3 oil changes- even though Kia claims the car can go 7K without one. My insurance company is going to treat it as a total loss and do an investigation on it. Kia has a case going but have not yet sent an engineer out.

- Algona, WA, USA