2.9

2013 Kia Forte engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Forte:

2013 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Aug 132016

Forte

This is in addition to a previous complaint. I forgot to add important information. I was told by Kia that my engine issue is a "blown rod" inside the engine. Kia has several other models that have had the exact same issue that are currently in litigation. I feel as though I've "missed the boat" on this issue.

- Magnolia, DE, USA

Aug 132016

Forte

Was driving the vehicle at 50 mph when an unknown noise began coming from the engine. I was about 3 miles from home, by the time I got home the noise was much louder. I shut it off and immediately had the vehicle towed to my closest Kia dealership. The vehicle is currently 2,200 miles under the 100,000 mile warranty (original owner). The dealership called me about 2 hours later and told me that the engine experienced a "catastrophic failure" (later I learned a rod had gone bad) and my warranty was voided due to "oil sludge" in the engine. The service department immediately began talking about selling me a new car, which I declined. I also declined any maintenance to be performed. I then had the vehicle towed to a private certified mechanic who sent a camera inside the engine and determined that there was no "sludge" to be found. The mechanic also determined that there was no way for Kia to know this since he could tell that neither the valve cover, nor any other engine part, had been removed to facilitate such inspection. Now I am faced with $3,700 in engine replacement costs since Kia refuses to acknowledge the problem. Kia seems to have somehow determined engine "sludge" without even looking inside the engine. I have a few external photos as proof that the engine had not been touched by Kia but I am unable to upload them here.

- Magnolia, DE, USA

Feb 022016

Forte

I am the original owner of my 2013 Kia Forte ex, the vehicle roughly has 70,000 miles on it. The vehicle has always been properly maintained via oil changes, filters, etc on time with quality name brand fully synthetic oil and filters per the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule which is every 7500 miles. I was driving my vehicle home on a very busy freeway on the East coast. I was in the center lane of 5 lanes on the South bound side and all of a sudden my car lost all power and was slowing down at an unsafe rate of speed because I had no power and did not want to touch the brakes obviously. I panicked but was able to put my right signal on to try and get to the shoulder of the freeway I continued to panic because my car was steady slowing and eventually would come to a stop because I had no power, the gas pedal would not function and I knew the car shut down because all the lights were on on the dash as if you were starting the car. Thankfully someone was watching over me that day and I made it to the shoulder before the car rolled to a complete stop. If I were unable to safely move over two lanes and make it to the shoulder on momentum I would have been stopped in a lane of travel on a busy freeway and what would I have done? I probably would have caused and been part of a major accident, even though I did make it to the shoulder I was still panicking because this is a very busy freeway and I felt helpless. The car would not start it would make a funky noise and that's it but would never start so I was stranded. I looked in my owners manual and called Kia, the dealership was 10 minutes from my location. I was told there was nothing they could do because they didn't have a tow truck and I was on my own. I had the car towed there and was told the engine blew up and it was the bottom end. I believe it was in the timing system and Kia is lying.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Jul 062015

Forte

When driving 55 - 80 miles per hour, especially right at 70, the car shakes, and the engine knocks. It feels like a vibration, and the wheel shakes under your hands with a rhythmic knocking noise from the engine. The car also has issues with the front right brake when it is chilly or wet. The brake sticks and will not come up, grinding and causing the car to become difficult to drive. The pedal sinks in and will not come back up. I have taken the car to the dealer and been told nothing is wrong with the car. Both issues are still going on, and worsening as I drive it. Pretty sure being pushed past my warranty. Taking to another dealer for second opinion, worried in mean time the car is not safe to drive based on other similar reports. I bought my car from dealership, and was able to verify it had one owner. At time of purchase the car drove fine, but within days both issues had begun. I took it to a different dealer for service.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Sep 132015

Forte

The oil engine light came on while the car was at idle. Turn the engine off and it failed to restart. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer and after numerous times of them trying at starting the car, the car started up only to shut off. Then they checked it out again to find that the engine had lock up. Now I am being asked to pay for a new engine or get a new car.

- Weaver, AL, USA

Sep 302014

Forte

Car makes loud noise while driving down fwy sounds like engine is going to drop out from underneath it - shakes and vibrates and acts like it's going to stop any moment. Brakes will not disengage, thereby making the gas pedal unable to engage. Car loses power while driving when brake doesn't disengage because the gas pedal doesn't engage. Brakes smell of burning rubber. Car rides like all 4 tires are flat - car shakes and vibrates as well. This has happened numerous times - more than 10 - took to dealer - they told me there was nothing wrong with the car. It is extremely dangerous to drive - I had the brake system line flushed and bled and the shop told me that what was in the brake line was not brake fluid - written right on the invoice. Kia is not standing behind their cars and screwing people - especially women. Service managers would just smirk and laugh when I took it in with the complaints - like I was an idiot.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 172014

Forte

I purchased the car December 2012; 2013 Kia Forte ex. About a 9 months after I purchased the car, I was driving and there was a loud knocking nose in the engine and about a hour later the car stalled on me in downtown sacramento, ca. I got the car towed to sacramento Kia (2820 fulton ave, sacramento, ca 95821). After the car was diagnosed they told me that it was a manufacturing problem, they said when the car was built a few parts in the engine were put in incorrectly which caused my engine to basically over heat and start to fall apart. So they said that they will replace the engine free of charge. August 17 2014 awhile after the new engine was put in my car, the car stalled on me again with the same knocking noise coming from the engine. At the time I was on the freeway going about 60mph. After the car stalled on me I could not go above 30mph no matter how hard I pushed the gas pedal. I had to drive all the way home on the freeway with the hazard lights on going 30mph. When I got home I had the car towed to sacramento Kia (2820 fulton ave, sacramento, ca 95821). It took them a few days to a week for them to call me and let me know the car was there. I called twice everyday and never received a call back when they said they were busy. I did not receive a phone call until they called me the third week and said they are ordering parts for the car. I did not authorize anyone to order parts for the car because I did not find out what was wrong with the car. Two days ago September 2 2014 was the date I found out that I needed a whole new engine when the engine was replaced a year ago. So this would be the third engine for my brand new 2013 Kia Forte ex I purchased a year ago.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Sep 032012

Forte

Kia Forte 2013 purchased new and had problems with car when driving 55-70 miles at highway speed. The car shakes, tires make noises like they're flat, trouble with steering, really rough ride, smoke came from engine and the car has been a pain considering it's supposed to be new. It also leaks when it rains and sometimes you can't see out rear window. All these things and more were reported to Kia motors who sent me to dealership. The dealership scoffed at the referral, stated Kia motors knows about problems and allegedly checked Forte reporting nothing can be done and nothing is wrong. The car continues to have problems and is a total waste of money plus feels unsafe. There should be some accountability with Kia somewhere but there isn't...guess that's the business cushion.

- Lexington, KY, USA