2005 Kia Optima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Kia Optima:

2005 Kia Optima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 052013

Optima

I cannot enter and exit my car safely anymore. The drivers side door lock will not unlock with key fob or by key manually. I was in a hurry at one point to exit to retrieve my child who had exited the car and was heading into traffic at a parking lot and I could not get out of the car. I had to exit from the passenger side. The door works in rare instances, but is not reliable or dependable. This is my only mode of transportation and I have owned the vehicle since new. However, I no longer feel safe should I have an emergency, I may not be able to enter or exit the car as needed.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 152013

Optima 6-cyl

My passenger side front door sticks and wont open. At first it started locking and unlocking by itself. Sometimes when you lock and unlock it a few times it opens. But as soon as you lock the doors its back to not unlocking when you lock and unlock it. Now my passenger door wont open at all. I am worried that if there's emergency I wont be able to get out any of the door. Someone needs to fix this problem, but nobody seems to want to help fix it.

- Altoona, PA, USA

May 132013

Optima 6-cyl

1. the driver side door locks and refuses to unlock. The driver side door cannot be open and the driver side door knobs inside and outside are not working. This can be a serious safety issue in an emergency situation, because the driver cannot escape through the driver side door. This issue must become a recall item as soon as possible. (happened on 05/13/2013, about 82,000 mileage) 2. driver seat (power) is not working since about 52,000 mileage. (around spring 2010).

- Erie, CO, USA

Oct 182012

Optima 6-cyl

The passenger door lock started sticking and will not open. Now both doors are locked and I cannot open either. The back doors do open, however it was very difficult to climb out the back door. I don't know how I will even get it to a dealer to fix it.

- Supply , NC, USA

Nov 012011

Optima

Drivers side door locks and refuses to unlock if the door is completely closed. Huge safety issue, as I've been forced to crawl out the passengers side multiple times daily!

- Hayward, WI, USA

Aug 012012

Optima

While I did experience the same lock problems as a lot of 2005 Optima owners... my dealership took care of the problem by replacing the lock mechanism. In my case, the lock would act fine one moment and not work the next. For those with the same problem, I would suggest getting the dealership to look into replacing the entire lock mechanism. I have had no trouble since!

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Sep 192012

Optima 6-cyl

Passenger side door automatically locks when you try to open it. Whether in or out, it won't open. Sometimes it will open with a key out of the car, but will not open from inside.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 062011

Optima

The driver side door will not unlock from the inside or outside. I can hear the assembly trying to work, the key will unlock the other doors. This is a huge safety issue in an emergency. I called the Kia dealership iand they told me they had never heard of this with this vehicle. How many people are going to possibly lose their life in an accident, because of this defect before there is a recall.

- West Fork , AR, USA

Jan 232013

Optima

I have had to take my car twice now to get my driver side door open, I have been having to climb in from the passenger side of my car and I have hurt my knees in doing so. Everytime I lock my doors and then unlock the driver side door doesn't open from the inside or outside. This needs a recall.I have already seen other complaints about the same problem...

- Belton, MO, USA

Dec 062012

Optima 4-cyl

The driver side door will not unlock from the inside or outside. I can hear the assembly trying to work, the key will unlock the other doors. This is a huge safety issue in an emergency. I called the Kia dealership in newport richey fl and they told me this a common problem with this vehicle. How many people are going to possibly lose their life in an accident, because of this defect before there is a recall.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Apr 092012

Optima

I have been researching the problem I have with my 2005 Kia Optima and I found out that I am not the only person with this issue. Therefore I saw it necessary for me to bring this to your attention. The door latches are malfunctioning. This is a major safety hazard because if the car ever caught fire or if the car ever went into a river, got flooded, or in a wreck it would be very difficult for the driver to get out of the car. My driver side door will not open, from the inside or the outside. It stays locked and even when you unlock the car, the door will not open. I currently had a baby and had to have a C-section. It was horrible having to climb in and out the car through the passenger side.... from researching this issue I have come across so many people that have had the same issue. Kia should recall the 2005 Optima.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 162010

Optima 4-cyl

Doors, locks, linkage, upon leaving work on June 16th, 2010, I went to unlock the driver's side door using the key and the car door would not open. I opened the car from the passenger side and crawled over to try to open the driver's side door from the inside, no luck. The driver side door has not and will not open from either side. Huge safety hazard!!! no luck with Kia fixing it either!!!

- North Augusta, SC, USA

May 312012

Optima

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Optima. While parked, the contact attempted to unlock the front driver side door but it would not unlock. The contact entered the vehicle through the front passenger side door. The front driver side door would not unlock using the key fob from the exterior or manually from the interior or exterior of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The dealer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the key fob and door locks would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 032012

Optima

I am unable to unlock my drivers side door either manually/key or by remote access this is a serious safety issue due to the fact that if I need to exit my vehicle in case of an emergency (fire and or crash) I would be unable to. Also, two of my rear seatbelts are jammed in the half extended position. I would appreciate any and all help you can give me with this serious safety issue.

- Hyde Park, MA, USA

Sep 232011

Optima

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Optima. The contact stated while the vehicle was parked all of the automatic doors failed to unlock when engaged. The contact had to open the front driver's side power and manually unlock the door in order to exit the vehicle. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 67,500.

- Plymouth Meeting , PA, USA

Jun 252011

Optima

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Optima. The contact stated the vehicle was parked when the doors began to lock and unlock on their own. As a result, the contact had to enter the vehicle by using the front passenger door. Over time, the failure progressed and the contact was unable to enter the vehicle from either front door. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Aug 212011

Optima 4-cyl

The doors lock and unlock by themselves. The two front doors will not open everytime I try to open them the doors lock up. I can not safely enter and exit my car. I have to go out the back seat but it takes some time to do so. Research on this shows that this is a common problem with Kia. If I were to get in an accident or a fire started I would not be able to get out of my car. Also I have a bulging disc in my back and this is starting to cause pain and it can cause my back to fully seize up again. I have contacted Kia and they are not willing to help because there is no recall on the item. This should be recalled because this is going to result in someone getting hurt or worse even death..

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jul 032011

Optima 6-cyl

Much like the countless complaints I've read, my 2005 Kia Optima LX has a default in the driver side and now the passenger side doors. About a month ago my driver side door stopped opening. Sure I could hear the doors electronically unlocking.. but still could not open my driver side door from the inside or outside. Finding out this was going to run me about 300-400 dollars I waited to see if it was something I could fix... my friend and I removed both panels after having to slim jim and push and pull the door open. We looked at both door insides and saw no difference and nothing that seemed to be broken, bent or unattached. Of coarse as I drove a way my locks locked again.. so I was back to climbing out my passenger side. As of yesterday my passenger side is now doing the same thing.. they say im up to 500 now and nothing is covered by warranty. Im thinking, really!!"? this is the second Kia I have purchased and have always loved my Kia's but this sucks! this is a huge safety issue! how many people have to be stuck in there car on fire or at the bottom of the river dying before Kia recalls this. I've read several posts about people with kids or people that are "too big" to go climb over their car seats to safety! at this point the only way in and out of my car is now the back doors but for how long, who knows! what's next, squeeze through the glove box? okay, okay so that's not realistic but jeez! what the heck can we do about this"

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jul 232011

Optima

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the front drivers side door would not open. In order to enter the vehicle, the contact had to use the front passenger side door. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the door latch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaird. The failure mileage was 69,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Watauga, TX, USA

Jul 162011

Optima 4-cyl

The contact owns 2005 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the front drivers side door would not unlock from the interior or exterior, with or without the key. The contact stated that the only way to enter the drivers seat was to enter the vehicle from the front passenger side. The vehicle was not yet taken to have the failure diagnosed. The failure and current mileages were 27,000. Updated 09/01/2011

- Tulsa, OK, USA