2005 Kia Optima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Kia Optima:

2005 Kia Optima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 032014

Optima 6-cyl

2005 Kia Optima. Consumer writes in regards to drivers side door issues. The consumer stated the driver's side door would not open with the key fob and it would not open with the key. When she inserted the key and turned it, she could hear the actuator engaging as though it were unlocking, but once she tried the door handle, the door refused to open. After several minutes, the door finally released and opened, but to lock the door and close it, resulted in the same issue. Updated 04/22/14

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 152014

Optima

Drivers side door will no longer open. When I try to unlock it from either the inside or outside, the unlock mechanism works, but the door will not open. I now have to crawl in from another door and would not be able to get out in an emergency. This appears to be a common problem with Kia and could cause serious injury. This needs to be addressed with Kia.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 012008

Optima

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the driver's side door latch was inoperable. The contact had to exit the vehicle through the remaining doors. The failure progressed for over five years. The vehicle was taken the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 152011

Optima

I believe because of the option of 'affected parts" does not include locks/linkage, is why the NHTSA is not seeing how 1000S are complaining about having a locked door issue with Kia of many models over a span of 10 years! my driver door is permanently locked and until I can come up with $700 to get it fixed I can not drive it due to safety because I can not get it inspected!!! due to safety! Kia needs to be responsible for this safety issue for thousands of people!

- Allen, TX, USA

Nov 142013

Optima 4-cyl

I became entrapped in my 2005 Kia Optima when I accidentally hit the lock. Its been an issue before. While its dangerous to keep it unlocked, I chose that over being locked out or being locked in. Last night my elbow hit the lock as I parked. I had my coworker come pull the handle while I pushed the unlock button. While it has worked after several tries in the past, it just wouldn't give in. I then, had my coworker try the passenger side and it popped. I'm now reduced to climbing over from the passenger side door. While its painful and timely, its not as bad as climbing over the back. I've had to do that when I had no one to call for help. It's so dangerous not being able to get out of your car when you're ready. Its also horrible to think about your vehicle not being there when you come outside because you left your doors unlocked for a car thief. If I open my passenger side door and press lock and close it. I will not be able to enter or use my vehicle without breaking a window. If there was a fire cause by some sort of collision, my child and I would be burned before I could get to him. If me or a passenger accidentally hits the lock before we get out, I'll have to break my own window to get back in. I sent the corporate headquarters an email which I'm sure will be ignored like the many others sent before me. This is sad cause mechanically the car seems to run great. This is my second one. If I had of kept that one longer, I'm sure I would've experienced the same issue. This is definitely a safety issue that needs to be acknowledged and fixed.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 052013

Optima

I cannot enter and exit my car safely anymore. The drivers side door lock will not unlock with key fob or by key manually. I was in a hurry at one point to exit to retrieve my child who had exited the car and was heading into traffic at a parking lot and I could not get out of the car. I had to exit from the passenger side. The door works in rare instances, but is not reliable or dependable. This is my only mode of transportation and I have owned the vehicle since new. However, I no longer feel safe should I have an emergency, I may not be able to enter or exit the car as needed.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 152013

Optima 6-cyl

My passenger side front door sticks and wont open. At first it started locking and unlocking by itself. Sometimes when you lock and unlock it a few times it opens. But as soon as you lock the doors its back to not unlocking when you lock and unlock it. Now my passenger door wont open at all. I am worried that if there's emergency I wont be able to get out any of the door. Someone needs to fix this problem, but nobody seems to want to help fix it.

- Altoona, PA, USA

May 132013

Optima 6-cyl

1. the driver side door locks and refuses to unlock. The driver side door cannot be open and the driver side door knobs inside and outside are not working. This can be a serious safety issue in an emergency situation, because the driver cannot escape through the driver side door. This issue must become a recall item as soon as possible. (happened on 05/13/2013, about 82,000 mileage) 2. driver seat (power) is not working since about 52,000 mileage. (around spring 2010).

- Erie, CO, USA

Oct 182012

Optima 6-cyl

The passenger door lock started sticking and will not open. Now both doors are locked and I cannot open either. The back doors do open, however it was very difficult to climb out the back door. I don't know how I will even get it to a dealer to fix it.

- Supply , NC, USA

Nov 012011

Optima

Drivers side door locks and refuses to unlock if the door is completely closed. Huge safety issue, as I've been forced to crawl out the passengers side multiple times daily!

- Hayward, WI, USA

Aug 012012

Optima

While I did experience the same lock problems as a lot of 2005 Optima owners... my dealership took care of the problem by replacing the lock mechanism. In my case, the lock would act fine one moment and not work the next. For those with the same problem, I would suggest getting the dealership to look into replacing the entire lock mechanism. I have had no trouble since!

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Sep 192012

Optima 6-cyl

Passenger side door automatically locks when you try to open it. Whether in or out, it won't open. Sometimes it will open with a key out of the car, but will not open from inside.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 062011

Optima

The driver side door will not unlock from the inside or outside. I can hear the assembly trying to work, the key will unlock the other doors. This is a huge safety issue in an emergency. I called the Kia dealership iand they told me they had never heard of this with this vehicle. How many people are going to possibly lose their life in an accident, because of this defect before there is a recall.

- West Fork , AR, USA

Jan 232013

Optima

I have had to take my car twice now to get my driver side door open, I have been having to climb in from the passenger side of my car and I have hurt my knees in doing so. Everytime I lock my doors and then unlock the driver side door doesn't open from the inside or outside. This needs a recall.I have already seen other complaints about the same problem...

- Belton, MO, USA

Dec 062012

Optima 4-cyl

The driver side door will not unlock from the inside or outside. I can hear the assembly trying to work, the key will unlock the other doors. This is a huge safety issue in an emergency. I called the Kia dealership in newport richey fl and they told me this a common problem with this vehicle. How many people are going to possibly lose their life in an accident, because of this defect before there is a recall.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Apr 092012

Optima

I have been researching the problem I have with my 2005 Kia Optima and I found out that I am not the only person with this issue. Therefore I saw it necessary for me to bring this to your attention. The door latches are malfunctioning. This is a major safety hazard because if the car ever caught fire or if the car ever went into a river, got flooded, or in a wreck it would be very difficult for the driver to get out of the car. My driver side door will not open, from the inside or the outside. It stays locked and even when you unlock the car, the door will not open. I currently had a baby and had to have a C-section. It was horrible having to climb in and out the car through the passenger side.... from researching this issue I have come across so many people that have had the same issue. Kia should recall the 2005 Optima.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 162010

Optima 4-cyl

Doors, locks, linkage, upon leaving work on June 16th, 2010, I went to unlock the driver's side door using the key and the car door would not open. I opened the car from the passenger side and crawled over to try to open the driver's side door from the inside, no luck. The driver side door has not and will not open from either side. Huge safety hazard!!! no luck with Kia fixing it either!!!

- North Augusta, SC, USA

May 312012

Optima

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Optima. While parked, the contact attempted to unlock the front driver side door but it would not unlock. The contact entered the vehicle through the front passenger side door. The front driver side door would not unlock using the key fob from the exterior or manually from the interior or exterior of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The dealer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the key fob and door locks would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 032012

Optima

I am unable to unlock my drivers side door either manually/key or by remote access this is a serious safety issue due to the fact that if I need to exit my vehicle in case of an emergency (fire and or crash) I would be unable to. Also, two of my rear seatbelts are jammed in the half extended position. I would appreciate any and all help you can give me with this serious safety issue.

- Hyde Park, MA, USA

Sep 232011

Optima

The contact owns a 2005 Kia Optima. The contact stated while the vehicle was parked all of the automatic doors failed to unlock when engaged. The contact had to open the front driver's side power and manually unlock the door in order to exit the vehicle. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 67,500.

- Plymouth Meeting , PA, USA