2007 Kia Optima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Optima:

2007 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Apr 302016

Optima

Oil was low check engine light came on need new engine said it was from metal shavings in oil

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 272016

Optima

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Optima. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicle shut down in the middle of the road, without any warning indicator. The vehicle was pulled to the side and was towed to a local dealer the following day. The technician diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Sep 032015

Optima

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the engine started to make an abnormal noise. The engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the main bearing in the engine failed causing one of the rods to fracture. As a result, the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Mogadore, OH, USA

Sep 032014

Optima

My husband and I used a premium oil filter (not Kia), and a few weeks later had a knocking in the engine. I took the car to a shop up the street and was told that since we used an oil filter that was not Kia, the filter caused metal in the engine which now needs to be replaced. I called Kia Consumer Affairs and explained the issue. With all the information that was sent to me in 6 years, not one piece stated that you are required to use a Kia oil filter. The shop that I originally took the car to had to do some research and stated that there are bulletins out that are only around 2 years old. While speaking with Consumer Affairs, I was told that the car needed to go to a Kia dealer to be diagnosed. I then had the car towed to a local dealer which stated the same thing. Now, the kicker, they will not help in fixing the engine because I am over the 100,000 mile mark. On top of that, I am now charged a tow bill and more diagnostic fees on top of what I already paid in which they will not pay for either (since they required the car to be at a dealer for assistance). I call the Consumer Affairs lady that I have been working with, and she will not return my call until I call the 800 number and tell them I need to speak to someone or I will be going to the local media as well as any social media avenue I can. The dealer that I purchased the car from will also not honor the "engine for life" that I signed unless I can provide all receipts from the last 5 years on any maintenance that I did on the car outside of a dealer (air filter, etc). I have recently been married and the account closed. And - who keeps their receipts for 5 years on air filters?? this is not only poor customer service for a loyal consumer, but the lack of follow through with what you "agreed" to and signed upon purchase not being honored.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Apr 122014

Optima 6-cyl

I was in a crash and I have to say that this is a problem. After I received my car back from the body shop the car has been malfunctioning ! the 2.7L has stumble on and at acceleration the failure is the throttle position switch this is a safety problem for all driver's that drive a 2007 Kia Optima. The malfunction occurs five times in one day. This problem may cause severe or fatal injuries to the occupants in the vehicle. Nothing was done to correct the failure and the old throttle position switch is available! I really thank that this is found to have a defect that affects safety and the automakers need voluntarily announce a recalls on all the 2007 Kia Optima that have the same throttle position switch as this vehicle.

- Bartow, FL, USA

Jul 232014

Optima

I was driving and without warning. The car suddenly stopped. I managed to get it to the side of the road. It started smoking and a small fire from engine. No warning lights, nothing. I purchased the care brand new in 2007 and had all required maintenance including new tires. This car just stopped while I was driving. I could have been seriously injured, but it was late and no traffic. I the was towed to Kia dealer. The said the engine is shot. I towed to another dealer, they said there is a whole in the engine. Repair cost $7,000. The car only has 62,000 miles on it. I'm appalled!

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Aug 272013

Optima

I was driving the vehicle and it started shaking and slowing down on it's own. Then it just cut right off on me. I pulled over and tried to restart the vehicle...to no avail.....there were no warning lights or anything going on.....I had to get it towed to my mechanic who informed me that he felt it was either the starter or the alternator...he replaced the starter first and then told me the engine had ceased and I would need a new or rebuilt on put it. I had just changed my oil a week or two ago...so it could not have been that...so I'm hoping by writing this someone will look into it since I bought the car from a dealer and have only had it less then a year.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Jun 022013

Optima

While driving my 2007 Kia Optima at approximately 70 mph, I heard a loud pop from the engine compartment. I immediately lost electrical and engine power. I managed to steer to the shoulder where I came to a stop. Once my Optima came to a stop, white smoke began billowing into the passenger compartment. My wife and I got out. Once we did, there was another explosion from the engine compartment which sent burning shrapnel out from under the engine compartment and the entire front end of my car erupted in flames.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 042011

Optima 4-cyl

The back turn signal, back lights and front low beams continue to burn out. They have been replaced multiple times by professionals and continue to blow. I would guess there is a short some place. Recently the right low beam headlight went out, had it replaced and it blew fuses. Once the fuses and relay switch had been replaced the left low beam light will work if the right one is disconnected. I have come across multiple complaints about this, I contacted the dealer and they claim this is not a common issue, and want $115 to run test. Also the blower motor for the heat/air makes lots of noise and I was told that is just the way it is, I know that's not true. When its cold out the car makes lots of squeaking noise and I was also advised that's is "normal". I purchased the car new in 2008 I have approx 67,800 miles and have had to replace the tires 3 times.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 152012

Optima

I came to a complete stop and proceeded to turn left when I noticed the check engine light came on and as I pulled over there I noticed a thick cloud of blue smoke out of my rear view mirror. I opened the hood and saw flames at the back of the engine around the transmission and airconditioner area of the car. Flames continued until the interior began burning and windshield broke.

- Lucerne, CA, USA