2007 Kia Optima lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Optima:

2007 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Oct 012014

Unless the brights are on I can hardly see at night. I avoid driving at night because of this.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Oct 012015

Oem headlights go bad. Lights got progressively dim with time. Got to the point I could barely drive at night. Dangerous! started leaving lights on high beams - nobody would flash me because they were barely adequate. Checked voltage/ground was ok. Replaced factory headlight assemblies with aftermarket units - fixed the problem. Can now drive around safely at night. Kia should recall the defective head light assemblies.

- Warren, OH, USA

Aug 152016

Frequent low beam and high beam headlight failures over last 4 years..last month I had to replace the whole passenger side headlight left headlight assembly is currently out on the low settings..

- Yalaha, FL, USA

Apr 012015

Low beam headlights extremely dim, problem reviewed by dealer. No resolution. Seems a electrical situation. Same problem noted by many other 07 owners. Problem has gotten progressively worse over time. Only low beam affected. Reviewed by many dealers with no solutions. Extremely dangerous situation as virtually no low beam light emitted. Bulbs have been changed. Circuits checked by dealer.... no changes in problem. Need a solution... no lights

- Fargo, ND, USA

Nov 112015

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the exterior headlights were extremely dim. The lights had to be on the high beam setting in order to see anything. The contact mentioned that the failure was a very serious safety concern because visibility was impaired while operating the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the headlights needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,805. The VIN was not available.

- Georgetown, SC, USA

Nov 012012

The low beams are very dim. The fog lights light up the road better than the low beams. I replaced the lowbeam bulbs with sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs which are very bright in my other car, they still are very dim.

- Roeland Park, KS, USA

Jun 232014

I bougjt this car in 2014. I have replaced both low-beam headlights, twice, a brake light, both rear blinkers, a front blinker, as well as both highbeams. I have never replaced even half the number of lights in the entire lifetime of ownership of any vehicle I have owned in the past. This is an obvious recall issue based on safety as well as quality if Kia cared. When the lights are working I have to drive with my high-beams on and I never get flashed or pulled over. It is extremely hard to see vs. Any other vehicle. I have had many friends and family in the car and have shared the story. And everyone says the same thing, its like the brights in this car is everyone else's regular lights. In fact, many people say the high-beams are not as bright as most vehicles low-beams. It is ridiculous and unfair that us owners have to spend $10-$35 on a bulb or two an average of every 5-8 weeks. Crazy....Kia step up and fix this quality and safety issue. Gov't I guess wont step in without someone dying first and it making the news because I see I am not the first by any means, and wont be the last!

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 122014

Optima 4-cyl

Low beam headlights, keep replacing bulbs, exact bulbs required by Kia. Alternating either the driver's side or the passenger. Beside this problem, the headlights are so low that at night I have been running with high beams on for over a year now; on-coming cars don't seem to be bothered by the high beams. Usually high beams cause on coming vehicles to flash their high beams, but this is not the case, we've discussed with Firestone, they tested the bulbs and believe it is electrical. Since reviewing your on-line complaints on this issue, we'd expect a recall by Kia! we'd like to see that, at no cost, instead of it being our expense. I had several Chevy camaro for years, never experienced this problem. Only recalling headlights being replaced one or twice!

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Nov 292013

I have a 2007 Kia Optima and it has terrible exterior headlights. The headlights are so dim that I have to drive with high beams on as much as possible. Per forum discussions I have seen online this is an ongoing issue.

- West Harrison, IN, USA

Sep 012014

The visor on the driver side of the car fails to stay upright limiting visibility. The headlights are so poor that it's almost impossible to see when driving on a dark road at night. It's to the point where I don't drive the vehicle at night because the road leading out provides little to no light and I would constantly have to ride with the bright on to be able to see including the fog lights. Both are safety concerns that could possibly lead to an accident or someone being seriously hurt. I've seen several complaints but no further actions have been initiated.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Optima 4-cyl

The headlights are very dim, was reported to Kia at the time and the car was under warranty at the time, Kia would not address the problem they just told me to pay to have them replaced. I feel like Kia should to replace them at there cost not mine, the replacement headlights are $360 a piece. We have tried restoring them and having them adjusted this didn't fix the problem { feeling hopeless }.

- Ririe, ID, USA

Jan 302009

Optima 4-cyl

The headlights and brake lights/turn signal lights burn out repeatedly. At least one of them burns out every 2-3 months.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

May 212013

Headlight problems, the lights are so bad at night, that you can not even drive on dark roads at all. Not had an accident as of yet, only drive at night and very scared, carefully only if it is necessary. I bought this car in used condition, only had it for about three months now, had the lights replaced and worked on but they still don't work properly, I have been driving for over forty years with many different vehicles but this one is the only one in my lifetime that has ever had a head light problem. This problem could cause a very serious accidents, if its not taken care of, its dangerous to people out walking at night, animals, and to the driver w/passengers. I am a senior citizen, borrowed the money to purchase this car, so disappointed in it, did not personally even own a car until now. My dream was to be able to take vacations and long trips in my later years but this has put an end to that dream. I know I want be able to get help with this matter, but would like to let others know before they purchase a 07 Kia Optima, during daylight hours, for all to be aware and do not buy a car until you've driven it at night.

- Florence, SC, USA

Jan 042011

Optima 4-cyl

The back turn signal, back lights and front low beams continue to burn out. They have been replaced multiple times by professionals and continue to blow. I would guess there is a short some place. Recently the right low beam headlight went out, had it replaced and it blew fuses. Once the fuses and relay switch had been replaced the left low beam light will work if the right one is disconnected. I have come across multiple complaints about this, I contacted the dealer and they claim this is not a common issue, and want $115 to run test. Also the blower motor for the heat/air makes lots of noise and I was told that is just the way it is, I know that's not true. When its cold out the car makes lots of squeaking noise and I was also advised that's is "normal". I purchased the car new in 2008 I have approx 67,800 miles and have had to replace the tires 3 times.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Aug 052011

Optima 4-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Kia Optima LX last Friday [8/5/11] and when I drove it that night, it was impossible to see the road. The headlights are a dangerous and possibly a fatal hazard, while driving at night. I am writing to inform you about this matter. I would like to explain what the problem is and a solution to the problem. I sent an email to Kia on 8/5 addressing this issue. I haven┐T received a reply yet. Please let me explain. The Kia model I purchased, has two headlights on each side. There is a top light and a bottom light. The top light is the low beam headlight on the car and the bottom light is the high beam. The bottom light points out in the correct direction, as with cars that only have one headlight on each side. The low beam light is located┐up and to the side of the car! it is absolutely impossible to have lights work correctly, when the low beam light is located┐up and to the side of the car! there is a ┐black spot┐ area┐on the road, anything in front of the car, to cars in front of you, and to the sides of the road is impossible to see. The ┐black spot┐ area means just that┐everything in that area is black. The black area is in all the places where you are supposed to see when you are driving with the headlights on. In order for the lights to work correctly, here is an uncomplicated and inexpensive way to fix them. Here is the idea, for the headlights to work correctly: The top light (low beam) stays on all the time. The bottom light switches from low beam to high beam! the top light is aimed toward the beam in the bottom light. This gives extra light when the low beams are on. The location of the bottom light will provide the correct lighting when using headlights. Having the bottom light switch from low beam to high beam will correct the problem. How were these headlights ever approved? a response and reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your consideration.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Jan 042010

We have a 2007 model Kia Optima and have had continuous problems with the turn indicator bulb on the tail light blowing. Also the same problem with the left front headlight burning out. We have replaced the rear bulb three times and the left headlight twice already since we have had the car. I was curious as to whether this was a common problem that other Kia owners were having. The turn signal bulb went out in June of 2009 and again in October of 2009. The latest incident was on January 4th in 2010.

- Soddy-Daisy , TN, USA

Oct 152009

Parking brake indicator light, exterior lighting, brake lights. The rear stop lamp and tail lamp bulb have a definite malfunction. When pressing on the brake the lights blink and certain interior and exterior lights are affected. This is very dangerous and must be covered in the recall.

- Asheboro, NC, USA