2007 Kia Optima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Optima:

2007 Kia Optima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 152014

Optima

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the passenger seat air bag indicator illuminated. The dealer reset the passenger seat air bag indicator on approximately three occasions, but the failure would recur less than thirty miles later. After a recent oil change, a different air bag indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Beachgrove, TN, USA

Jan 012001

Optima

I had a recall on the airbag appx 5 yrs ago (could be less). I took csr in and months later the airbag light came on again and hasn't went off. I've checked in recalls and nothing indicated. Should I be responsible for the cost to repair, being I took it in once on a recall and same thing happened again.. I put in date below but I don't know when it happened..

- Converse, TX, USA

May 022016

Optima

I bought this Kia Optima new. The "passenger airbag off" light would frequently illuminate, even when a passenger was in the front passenger seat. I asked several Kia dealerships about this at several different times, nothing was done about it. Now, at about 73,000 miles- the red "air bag" light on the dash came on, and stayed on permanently. I took it in to the local Kia dealership, they charged me over $100 to diagnose, and if I had the repair done, the diagnostic would be waived. They called me a few hours later and informed me that the OCS computer (not just the OCS mat in the passenger seat, but the entire computer) was not functioning, and needed to be replaced. They said this would cost in the neighborhood of $2200. I didn't have the dealership do this repair for 2 reasons... 1) because the car is worth only $2-3,000 in the first place. 2) because even if I did pay the dealership to repair it, who's to say that it would actually be fixed" after all, there are many reports of air bag lights in Kia Optimas, and even of crashes where the airbags didn't deploy. I'd either like the airbags to be repaired, or get rid of the car, but it only has 75,000 miles on it, which is a shame. I can't sell it to anyone- who wants to buy a car without airbags" oh, now the TPMS sensor is on as well. I did try replacing the fuses to the airbag system and the TPMS system, new fuses did not change anything. The car only has 75,000 miles on it today. It is still under the powertrain warranty, but not the bumper to bumper, which was 5 years and 60,000 miles. However, I feel that airbags should be covered.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jun 272016

Optima

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. While driving 45 mph, the air bag light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact was referred to the manufacturer. The approximate failure mileage was 115,419.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Dec 152015

Optima

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. While driving approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the passnger seat sensor mat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Optima

I have a 2006.5 Kia Optima ex that had a six year, sixty thousand mile full warranty and a ten year, one hundred thousand mile powertrain warranty. At some point after the six year warranty expired, but prior to the one hundred thousand mile warranty expiration, the airbag warning light came on when I started the car. I took it to the dealership who " determined internal failure to passenger seat mat $1875 to repair..." I declined the repair due to the cost and value of the car at that time. I and suggested that the cost of repair should be absorbed by Kia. I called the Kia customer assistance number and was told that my complaint would be reviewed by management and they would contact me regarding their decision. I subsequently heard back from Kia that they would not provide any assistance. They advised me that my only recourse was to contact the dealer and see if they would provide some special discount on the purchase of a new car. This was not a feasible alternative at the time. I am now stuck with a car that has a major safety malfunction, as indicated by a brightly illuminated warning light on the dash. This not only affects the safety of the passenger but depreciates the value of the car by 50%. I realize that many systems on an automobile over the years, however, this particular malfunction is unacceptable. I think the recent recall of millions of automobiles for airbag failure, regardless of age or mileage, demonstrates Kia's culpability in this case. I would appreciate any assistance you may provide.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Oct 122015

Optima

I have seen numerous complaints on airbag issues pertaining to the 2007 Kia Optima and nothing has been done on this safety issue. I have filed numerous times goes on deaf ears. I will be speaking to sen bill nelson on how long it takes for a recall to be issues especially on this vehicle. I have seen complaints on this issues piling up.

Aug 042015

Optima

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the driver and passenger side air bag lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 032007

Optima

The front passenger airbag deactivation light remains lit when there is a passenger in the front seat. This problem has existed from the time we purchased the car to the present. Problem is intermittent but frequent, so there is no trust that a front seat passenger is protected at any given time. We were told to drive the car into the dealer when the light was on, which we did. Dealer questioned the weight of passenger (not the issue), then replaced the bladder in the seat and suggested to front seat passenger to "sit squarely & properly" in the seat. Then told us when this happens again, to execute the following sequence: Stop & turn off car, undo seat belt, get out, get back in, close door, buckle up and restart car, "and see if the light stays off". totally unrealistic on an interstate or in traffic. Sometimes we have done the recommended sequence 4-5 times before the light stays off. Indicator may start off dark and then light up after several minutes, a half hour or several hours of continuous driving. We have returned to the dealer several times for this issue and were told that the car was performing according to manufacturer specifications. There was a recall for the driver air bag but nothing for the passenger air bag. The internet has pages and pages of complaints about this issue. Kia turns a deaf ear or they just don't know how to fix this. 8 years of the same problem is too long and there is no way I can afford a new car. Somebody please push them to investigate this problem and find a solution before someone dies.

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Jun 202015

Optima

I have notified Kia customer service to no avail. I also notified NHTSA a while back and no follow up nor any recalls. Affected area is front passenger side seat which affected and shows air bag is off when some is sitting on the seat. Please issue a recall.

May 172015

Optima

While driving on hywy 80 West, hit black ice, lost control of vehicle. Vehicle spun and then flipped end over end causing extensive impact to front and rear of vehicle. Vehicle is equipped with 6 air bags. Not one of them deployed!!!! by the grace of god no one was killed. The two occupants were injured and had to have medical treatment.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 092015

Optima 4WD 4-cyl

I just had the clock spring recall fixed, and I am being told that the OCS sensor mat in the passenger seat, that will cost me $1600. I did some research on this issue and found that there are other Optima owners with this same issue. There is a recall on this part in the same year ranges on the rio. I would bet they used the same brand and sensor in probably all the cars in these years, so why only recall one model ? this is clearly a safety issue that needs to be the responsibility of the manufacturer, and they know and understand this due to them having one recall out already. I don't feel I should pay to have my car repaired when rio owners don't for the same safety issue. My car will not pass inspection with the airbag light on. Kia should be responsible for replacing this sensor to keep my family safe while driving. They designed this faulty sensor in the passenger seat and don't have an affordable way to fix it. Other than this issue my car in great shape. Hoping you will advocate for the safety of our family. Thank you

- Barre, MA, USA

Mar 242015

Optima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle veered to the left and the contact lost control and crashed into a tree. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the back, neck and left arm that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.....updated 04/08/15

- Prairieville , LA, USA

Nov 072014

Optima 4-cyl

Air bag lights com on with no accidents involved. I called Kia customer service and they stated that it was my issue not theirs. I have filed previous time and yet no answer from anyone. Kia owner are being left out on these recalls on air bags. They had in the past recalls on the same issue. Air bags.

Aug 282014

Optima 4-cyl

Numerous times I have notified Kia on air issues and they fall deaf ears. Car with less than 100, 000 miles and air bag light is on. It seems that Kia has no concern on auto safety. Please issue a recall on this issue before someone actually dies from this defective product.

Jul 012014

Optima 4-cyl

The passenger airbags have never worked properly. The indicator stays on most of the time when a passenger is sitting in the seat. Kia dealers were told about this over the years, but nothing was done about it. They tried to convince us that passenger was not sitting in the seat properly, and needed to sit a certain way for it to work.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jul 112014

Optima 6-cyl

Back when the clock spring had a recall we had it fixed, shortly after the repair the airbag light came back on they told us it was up to us to repair with a costly bill. Our state inspection ran out and the car was rejected due to the airbag light being on. They ran diagnosis and it came back to the OCS sensor mat in the passenger seat, that will cost me $1800. I did some research on this issue and found that there are other Optima owners with this same issue. There is a recall on this part in the same year ranges on the rio. I would bet they used the same brand and sensor in probably all the cars in these years, so why only recall one model ? this is clearly a safety issue that needs to be the responsibility of the manufacturer, and they know and understand this due to them having one recall out already. I don't feel I should pay to have my car repaired when rio owners don't for the same safety issue.

- Salem, VA, USA

Jul 042014

Optima 4-cyl

Light turned on for air bag while turn vehicle on. No accident. Called Kia on this issue. And explained to them that there was a recall on this before SC0094. And they stated that they were sorry but that campaign is over. So they showed no concern on airbag safety. Updated 3/18/2015.

Jul 122013

Optima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Optima. The contact stated that his vehicle was repaired under recall NHTSA campaign number: 12V014000 (air bags) but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Apr 062012

Optima 4-cyl

Air bag SRS light stays on.... talked to dealer.. they said Kia haven't recall this part yet. The passenger air bag senor in the seat need to be reset. Vehicle can't pass inspection.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA