2008 Kia Optima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Kia Optima:

2008 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Oct 192015

The contact owns a 2008 Kia Optima. The contact stated that upon driving the vehicle, the contact was unable to remove the gear from out of park. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Westfiled, MA, USA

Jun 192015

My car suffered the same problem with the shift lever explained under NHTSA campaign number: 11V153000, however. My car was not part of that recall. The dealer said that the problem was caused by a damage bushing in the shift cable. The cost of the repair was $150 labor, $8.28 bushing and $50 for the tow.

- Quebradillas, PR, USA

Mar 192015

The contact owns a 2008 Kia Optima. While the vehicle was parked, the contact was unable to change gears without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for further inspection. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V014000 (air bags); however, the clock spring assembly failed. The mechanic indicated that the part was on backorder and that the clock spring needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Tahlequah, OK, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2008 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the gear lever was difficult to shift out of park. The contact mentioned that excessive force was required when shifting out or into the park position. The contact mentioned that when the failure occurred, the key remained stuck in the ignition switch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 052014

My 2008 Kia Optima was a good car wiith no problems at all so when my car cut off on I 95 during rush hr. I was scared to death. As I was entering the ramp for I-95 my check engine light came on. I had a clickin noise in engine but within less then 2 min. As I merged into traffic my engine shut off and would not turn back on. After getting it towed to dealer, everyone including dealer thought it was the starter or alternator because oil was fine and nothin was wrong.. the dealer said he couldnt find anything that should have caused engine to lock. He also was confused.still to this day no body can tell me why this happened. I could have been killed or seriously injured on the my only option is to buy a engine when my old one should have still had a lot more miles left.

- Baltimore, MD, USA