2011 Kia Optima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Optima:

2011 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Dec 022013

Optima

The roof is rusting just above the windshield.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 042014

Optima 4-cyl

Vehicle was driven a mile to a commuter rail station for a drop off and back home. Nothing unusual was noted during the short trip nor had any problems been observed in the days leading up to the incident. Shortly after parking the vehicle on the 5th floor of the parking garage and entering the residence, the complex fire alarms actuated and all residents were advised to evacuate without entering the community parking garage. Shortly thereafter, I was notified by the complex manager via my cell phone that my car was on fire in the garage. The entire front of the vehicle was burned and was declared a total loss by the insurance company. (allstate). The entire car would have burned if it hadn't been parked directly under a sprinkler head in the garage plus a speedy response from the fire department. An independent fire origin investigator was hired by the insurance company. His professional opinion was the fire started at the radiator fan assembly.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Dec 252013

Optima 4-cyl

Moonroof on our 2011 Kia Optima ex model exploded while traveling at 60 mph December 25th 2013 - evening. Outside temperature was 36 degrees F at the time. Incident also caused body and paint damage to our trunk as well as peppered vehicles behind us with glass fragments. Upon reviewing multiple forums on line it appears this is not an isolated incident for Kia/Hyundai as I learned multiple models made by this duo have also suffered similar scenario's. I'm sure NHTSA is quite aware that the Hyundai veloseter has recalled several thousand vehicles mfg. For this potential issue and we're coincidentally made during the same time frame our vehicle was assembled.

- Lacey, WA, USA

May 052012

Optima 4-cyl

I was sitting in a turn lane, to turn left. There were two lanes to my right for traffic. I was waiting for a car coming from the opposite direction. I happened to look in my rear view mirror and it was completely taken up by this red object, which happened to be a car. Immediately I felt a terrible shock and my car was lifted up in the rear and the front end pointed at the road. This car drove me approximately 40 yds. Up the road. The air bags did not deploy...none of them and there was $12,000 worth of damage done to my car. I still have lower back pain and severe cramps on the left side of neck and head. Of course the driver was dui, no license, no insurance and left the scene of the accident. On 10/22/12 my wife had driven home from Florida to tn. She turned on a street heading up a hill toward our home. She was going approximately 25 miles per hour, when an older grey truck coming down the hill crowded her off the road. She swerved to her right and hit a 700 lb. Mailbox(cement & bricks) this accident tore the ride side front end back by 4 feet, also buckling the hood and popping rivets in the motor. The air bags again failed to deploy. There has to be something wrong with the 2011 Kia Optima's air bags. She bloodied her nose and had a gash in her right wrist. There4 is absolutely no sense of having air bags when they don't do as they supposed to. This must be explored and the reason found! thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

- Eastridge, TN, USA

Sep 102011

Optima

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Optima. The contact stated that after a storm her vehicle was flooded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that there were vents on the bottom of the vehicle which were designed to let water out but since it was sitting in the water it seeped into the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 5,200.

- Palmdale, CA, USA