3.1

2011 Kia Optima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Optima:

2011 Kia Optima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Mar 012016

Optima

Hearing a knocking noise in the steering wheel while sitting still or moving when the steering wheel is moved from side to side, alot of freeplay in the steering wheel. When you hit a bump there is a loud clanking noise from the steering column. I was told by my friend who has a 2012 Optima that he has the same problem and he was told by the dealership that it was a plastic gear in the steering column and would cost roughly $300 to fix. Upon research with this issue I have come across several owners that seem to have the same problem which Kia knows about. I feel that Kia should correct this problem at their expense before this issue kills someone.

- La Porte, TX, USA

Jan 032016

Optima

Hard to steer, along with a noise inside the car that sounded like a loose piece in the steering column. Car has 64,000 miles on it. Dealer said part is a steering column coupler and not covered by warranty. Cost was $332.

- Milford, MI, USA

Dec 162015

Optima

The steering wheel is very loose and thumps when I move it back and forth. I also hear a thumb under the car on the passenger side when I back up and when I come to a stop.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Optima

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Optima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel started violently shaking without warning. In addition, the contact stated that there was an abnormal noise emitting from the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Feb 142014

Optima

Low beams are not illuminating.. the refelective paint inside has burned off and I cannot drive at night with out my high beams due to the fact that I can't see more than 2 feet in front of my car. The steering on my car started this clicking noise when turning and the steering wheel rattles when I go over the smallest bump on the road. It is also wearing out my tires and causing my car to pull slightly to the left or right.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 222015

Optima

Suddenly at 89,000 miles the steering column shaft caused a severe vibrations in the steering wheel at a speed of 50 miles per hour. There was a great deal of play and a clicking sound in the steering wheel while standing or moving. The car is a 2011 car purchased in the month of December of 2011 so it has only been on the road for

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 072014

Optima

The steering wheel makes clunking noise that you feel in steering wheel, left to right play. The vehicle's steering column also rattles loudly over bumps in the road. It is worse in reverse.

- Hamlet, NC, USA

Sep 252015

Optima

Steering wheel has a clicking sound when turning. Bought it into a collision center, the technician said that it was a service recall on Optima. He knew that sound before I described it to him. Brake light bulb blows as soon as you put them in. The tech said there was a problem with the electrical system.

- Chalmette, LA, USA

Aug 312015

Optima

While driving on streets or highways at speeds from 10 mph and up, a constant rattle is heard inside the steering column. A loud clunk/rattle is heard if driving over a bump. When turning the steering wheel while parked, there is a thud and a thud is also felt. When taken to dealership, they informed me the steering coupling ring needed to be replaced. The mileage on car when brought to dealer was 63,000(61,000) when apt was initially made. They told me it was a 2 dollar part but would cost 350 to replace it. The warranty for steering wheel parts expired at 60,000 miles. Part was not replaced at that time.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Sep 232015

Optima

Steering column feels loose especially when going over bumps in the road or railroad tracks. Going to take it in to be looked at today. It has been doing this for a few months and getting worse when I last drove it on 9/23/15.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 032015

Optima

While backing up from a parking space, heard and felt a low thud on the steering wheel as I turned the wheel to the left and also to the right. While driving speeds about 20-30 mph it appears fine. It is most noticeable at low speeds >10mph and going over bumps of any kind while turning either left or right. It is definitely on the upper steering column close to steering. Making appointment to have Kia dealership to look into this.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Optima

The steering has 1-2 inches of play in the steering wheel.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Aug 252014

Optima

While sitting with the car running the steering wheel has play and makes a knocking sound while moving the when back and forth. Took the vehicle to my local garage and they thought the problem was in the telescoping linkage from the rack and pion steering but the linkage was fine and tight like its supposed to be. The tech stated it has to be in the steering column. If you drive over a bump you can hear the rattling in the steering wheel.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 102015

Optima

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Optima. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel makes clunking noise, left to right play. The vehicle's steering column also rattles loudly over bumps in the road. Vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the steering coupling ring needed to be replaced, $350 repair.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Jul 242015

Optima

When driving on the highway 55mph or higher steering wheel has a loud knock and pulls left. It is very dangerous to drive because the steering wheel is uncontrollable. When in park and turning the wheel it makes the knocking noise also. Updated 10/07/15

- Williamston, NC, USA

Jul 012014

Optima

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Optima. While making a turn, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred mostly when making a left turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer was informed that there was a manufacturers recall related to the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 062014

Optima

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Optima. While driving at various speeds and making a turn, the steering wheel made a clicking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the steering coupling ring needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- South Miami, FL, USA

Jan 252015

Optima

My headlights have gone completely dim. I can't see more than 4 ft in front of my car so no longer drive at night. I have taken it to the Kia dealership here in orlando and they stated this has happened because the heat of the bulb cause the paint in the unit to peel away. I have not had any accidents yet, but have had a few occasions where a car cut me off and another almost ran me off the road because my light to not illuminate. The dealership said since I am no longer under warranty it would cost me $1200 to fix. I have researched and found some forums where other drivers have complained of the same issue for years and nothing has been done. There is also an issue with the steering. There is a clicking noise and rattling when I drive and hit a small bump. I was told by the same dealership that it would cost $400 to fix that $3 piece of plastic that holds that together. If it not fixed in time that the steering would be gone completely. I don't think consumers should have to pay for the manufacturer taking short cuts and using cheap products that cost us tons of money to fix.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 012015

Optima

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Optima. While driving at an unknown speed and making a turn, the steering wheel made a clicking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering hose O ring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 012014

Optima 4-cyl

The car pulls continuously to the right when riding in a curve going to the right or making a right turn. I spoke to technicians at the dealership where I purchased the car. The issue was supposed to be fixed, but I am still experiencing the same problem.

- Pine Buff, AR, USA