2012 Kia Optima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Optima:

2012 Kia Optima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 202012

While driving, the backup camera came on. All the functions on the stereo were not working. This is the second time where the stereo malfunction. I took it to the dealship and was told there is a recall. When asked if I would be notified, I was told no. To find out about he recall, I had to bring the vehicle in. I check all the online databases, there were no documentation or any information about a recall. I don't think this is fair. What if the electrical wiring caused other issues? also, what breaking slightly on a downhill, the ABS locked up on me for a second causing my vehicle to lunge forward. Luckily, there were no cars behind me. Like I said, it was only for a sec but it was still not normal.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Jan 062012

Upon the purchase of my 2012 Kia Optima sx I noticed a pull to the left in the steering wheel. The dealership is approx. 80 miles from my home, driving home I noticed the tug and the car's inclination to veer left. I felt a constant pressure on the wheel to veer. I took the car back within a week or two and had the service dept. Check the veer. Of course, I was told there is no veer. The car continues to stray, now at 3500 miles. The car will be going in for service next week for the same problem and for maintenance. I have spoken to another dealership's salesman who has confirmed for me there is a definite issue with the Optima's steering and to date, they don't know what to do with it. I love this car, I absolutely love it, but the pull is a problem. By the time I drive the car at cruise speed on the highway and get back with it, I literally feel tired in the arm and shoulder from the pressure to keep it straight in the lanes. Also, lately at approx. 3000 miles, I've noticed that in reverse, the backup camera doesn't always come on when shifting gears. It has a hesitation that has lasted as long as 30 - 40 seconds before I can see behind the car. Anyone who has driven the Optima knows, you can't see anything behind you in that car due to the low sitting seats and higher trunk - it has to be tall to see it behind you. I'm taking the car to a different dealership for service next time, from there, I'll decide as to what happens next as far as keeping this car.

- Hurricane, WV, USA