2012 Kia Optima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Optima:

2012 Kia Optima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 212016

Optima

I took car in for the clicking noise in steering wheel. While car was up inair on stands. The rep stated their was a small leak coming from the turbo oil feed line. However it was not cover under warranty because its not the turbo. I told the it is if its feeding the oil. I did some research on the problem and found that it is a common issue with all of their cars and they are refusing to fix the issue. I told the rep that if the oil causes a burning smell it can cause a fire. I was told the manager would call me but now they are not taking my calls about replacing the line to the turbo.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 072016

Optima

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Optima. While driving various speeds, the steering column vibrated and a loud noise was heard. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the steering column would need to be removed in order to diagnose the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 52,827. The VIN was unavailable.

- League City, TX, USA

Nov 012016

Optima

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Optima. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel made a loud clunking noise and began to shake uncontrollably without warning. The vehicle was taken to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,696.

- Preston, GA, USA

Sep 012016

Optima

I have a 2012 Kia Optima and my steering wheel is making a loud clanking noise when I hit a bump in the road or slightly turn the wheel. I have searched on line and it's saying it is a cluster not sure wat that is I have been told it should be under recall because that can cause the steering wheel to loose it's directions and I could either cause and accident or be part of one

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 312016

Optima

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Optima. The contact stated that there was an abnormal clicking sound in the steering column. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the lock in the steering wheel fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Nov 102016

Optima

My 2012 Kia Optima sx T-gdi only has 70K miles and is giving me steering issues (loud popping/clicking noises, which you can feel as well). These issues are felt at all different speeds, and all different turning angles. I was informed, as many people have, that the flex coupling needs to be replaced ($4 part, but over $200 in labor). I am not willing to pay this due to a faulty part, so Kia needs to step up and issue a recall before it's too late! in conducting my own research, I am one of hundreds that are having this same exact issue.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Optima

The steering column clunks when turning left or right, parked or when driving, it has a big gap (play) that makes a clunking noise when turning the wheel left or right. The gap and clunking noise is getting worse.

- Kathleen, GA, USA

Jan 172016

Optima

There an awful clicking/clunking sound coming from steering wheel when you turn or hit a bump/cross tracks..been told has something to do with flexible coupling inside steering wheel vehicle is always in motion when this happens car only has 100600. Miles it doesn't matter if in city or other highways

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Sep 272016

Optima

While driving vehicle and making a turns steering wheel began to make a loud thunk. When parking whether turning left or right car makes loud thunk. Called Kia and they said they've been having problems with the flex coupling.

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 012016

Optima

Gear or bearing defective in steering column.excessive motion, play and noise when operating vehicle. Contacted dealer but there has not been any recall regarding this problem. Dealer service dept. Quoted repair to be approximately 300 dollars. When is Kia going to recall vehicles with this malfunction ?

- Rome, GA, USA

May 182016

Optima

I took my car to get a oil change and the guy that was moving the car was so worried about the steering. He stated that I needed to get it serviced at the Kia dealership asap. The steering seems to be clicking and when I hit a small dip or pothole in the road it clicks and sounds like the whole front end is coming off. I was told that this is not covered by the warranty with the vehicle which I think is crazy. I could see if it was something that I did I would take care of that repair. However there are a lot of other people that are having this same problem. I'm really thinking about trading in this vehicle and moving on to someone who does take care of their cars and customers. I was told that this is a common problem with these cars.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Aug 102015

Optima

Steering wheel shakes, rattles, and clicks when turning. It sounds like something is loose. Going over any thing that is not level (ex. Railroad tracks, speed bumps etc) causes the steering wheel to rattle and shake also even if you are not speeding. It will occur in motion and even if the vehicle is in park, and off. I am not really sure what this issue is or what really caused it.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Aug 072016

Optima

When U driving it. U can here noise in the steering wheel. It had the oil light to pop on while driving on thr freeway put over. Put some oil in it. Then that night trying to crank it & it started to smoke & caught a fire.

- Brighton, AL, USA

Jul 212016

Optima

Loud clicking noise in steering while driving, hard to turn at times and very loud rattling while driving on rough roads. My daughter uses this car due to better gas milage than hers to go to college sometimes and I also carry my 2 year old granddaughter in this car and have had no problems before now and thought I purchased a safe car all around but being that nothing is getting done about this possible safety issue I am concerned. I would have recommended a Kia to anyone till now and now just not sure.

- Pollok, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Optima

Steering wheel makes clicking/popping sound every time its moved in either direction. Also, when going over any speed bumps or holes, very loud clicking and tension felt in the steering wheel. I have been researching this issue and I have found that many customers have this issue and it seems like Kia has not done anything about it. I drive on the highway everyday for about 65 miles both ways. I am very concerned for my safety and passengers.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 222016

Optima

At 60K miles, steering has become difficult to maintain, steering column is loud and makes a popping noise, and now there is some type of clunk in the front suspension that can be heard when steering angle is being altered while simultaneously bridging a bump. Steering wheel sticks at speeds above 55mph, and thus over-steering is necessary in order to maintain tracking. Dealer informs me that some $4 plastic gear needs replacing somewhere, but that it will be $400 in labor to replace, but they can't even guarantee replacing this part will fix the issue. What a joke- this is my first and last Kia/Hyundai product.

- Saint Charles, IL, USA

Jul 182016

Optima

2012 Kia Optima LX ****(electronic power steering)****this is very unsafe and is an accident waiting to happen. What in the world is Kia waiting for, does someone have to be killed or seriously hurt from their negligence to recall these problems!!!! the steering wheel started to make a loud popping/knocking noise, sticks, play/ very loose when turning left to right, while driving or parking the vehicle. Have taken it to a service center where it was diagnosed that the steering column, tie rod and flexible coupling needed to be repaired/ replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle has not been repaired as of yet. The failure mileage was approximately 242,000. However, I purchased the vehicle in 2014, the approximately mileage was 208,412. Just prior to that this vehicle was strickley used for fuel testing/studies only, in a climate control building, where it was on a dino machine. These problems need to have a resolution and be recalled asap.

- Quinton, VA, USA

Jul 082016

Optima

Steering is knocking and making loud noises while driving vehicle. Have not yet taken to dealership, but from reading other complaints Kia has not acted on this problem for a resolution.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Optima

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Optima. While driving approximately 5 mph making a left or right turn, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000.

- Rocky Mountain, NC, USA

May 022016

Optima

Play in steering column making a noise when turn steering wheel right and left defective flex coupler

- Stuart, FL, USA