2013 Kia Optima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Optima:

2013 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Feb 062015

Optima 4-cyl

I was sitting at a stop sign waiting to cross two lanes, when clear I pressed the gas pedal. The tires spun a little on some antiskid; as a result the traction control intervened. The car seamed to loose all power!!. with traffic on its way I drifted across one lane before getting full power back. This tcs in my 2013 Kia Optima is not safe-- someone is going to get killed! what should I do !?

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jun 232014

The traction control system is designed so poorly that when I pull into traffic from a stop I have to disable the system completely or risk being a sitting duck in the middle of an intersection. It seems that if the traction control system detects any amount of tire slippage it cuts power to both wheels completely. Your instinct is to press the accelerator harder to make the car get out of the intersection which causes the wheels to slip when the car reapplies power and the whole problem starts again and you are still in the intersection. The power is cut so dramatically that it is almost as if the brakes are being applied and vehicle occupants lurch forward. After a second or two the vehicle gradually reapplies power. The only way to avoid this is to disable the system which has to be done each time you start the car. If you forget to disable it you are fumbling on the dash while driving to disable it. When I reproduced the event at the dealership they said that this was how the system is designed to work. All it takes is a couple rocks on the ground, a little rain, or even a heavy fog and the system will completely kill the power for between 1 - 2 seconds when you start off from a stand still.

- Houma, LA, USA

Jun 142014

I have found the traction control to be too drastic at times. When pulling on to a highway there is usually a small bump (difference in height, about 2", between the road and the parking area). If I'm accelerating (which you usually have to do to get onto a busy road), when the car goes over the "small bump" the traction control kicks in and the car loses a lot of the power you need to avoid the oncoming traffic. The traction control causes the car to come to a "rolling stop". this seems a little too extreme to me and I feel like this will cause an accident and potential loss of life. I have owned 4 other cars with traction control (2 Saturn, 1 corvette, and a Kia forte). None of the vehicles mention had an issue like this. Usually the traction control will "gradually" slow down the wheel or wheels that are turning faster than required. The Optima almost comes to a complete stop, losing 95% of it's power on June 6, 2014 I returned the car to the dealer (fette Kia). I was able to reproduce the problem and they said this was how the car was designed. The issue has occurred numerous times the date above was used to complete the form.

- Little Falls, NJ, USA

Nov 252013

During the first inclement weather I endured with this car (late Nov/early Dec 2013) there was some snow and ice. I came to a stop then pulled out to turn right. The nearest traffic was 2 blocks away. As I tried to turn, my car stopped then started, stopped, started. The traffic was headed directly for me and blaring their horns. Suddenly, my car lurched forward and went on its way. I experienced this again several times the same day and many more times since then during the course of this winter. It has happened on interstates, going up hills, making turns and driving slowly on slippery streets. I went to the dealer who told me it was supposed to do this; it was a safety feature.

- Wilmington, DE, USA