2014 Kia Optima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Optima:

2014 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Aug 162015

Optima

I was trying to back in between2 vehicles in the church parking lot. And while doing so, with my foot on the brake the car lunched backwards with a jerking motion, like it was trying to do 2 different things atone time, at full rate of speed and doing so, it backed into the vehicle to my left, the car acted like it had a mind of it's own. I reported the accident and when the police arrived on the sight, he informed me that he had seen an issue like this happening on the news. I had never heard of and I went online to report this incident. I was not hurt and if my cousin wasn't in the car, I don't think anyone would've believed me. I think this needs to be looked into, I'm really scared to drive my vehicle.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jun 262015

Optima 4-cyl

I was driving my car last Friday and the car started accelerating and then slowing down. I tried to speed up when it slowed down because I was in traffic and was afraid that someone would hit me so it would speed up and then slow down. It scared me so I pulled over on a side street so no one would hit me being that the car was driving erratic. I stopped the car, turned it off then restarted it. Once I did that, same thing again so I turned it off again after I pulled over the second time. The 3rd time, it started driving normal but a couple of days later, I could not start it. I had to have towed 3 days in a row to a dealership and they replaced something each day but the next day, the car would not start. I am afraid to get stranded again and this is a brand new car !!! its a 2014. I was initially real excited when I bought this car because but I have had nothing but problems. There is always something going wrong with this car and I no longer feel safe driving it.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Apr 012015

Optima 4-cyl

The problem is sporadic but happens frequently. If I press the gas pedal to increase my speed, whether from a stopped position, or to pull into a busy roadway, or to increase my speed to pass another vehicle, the car will start to go then choke, so that no matter how hard I press the gas pedal, the RPM stay the same and the vehicle loses power and will not speed up. If Kia doesn't figure out what is causing this - because I have seen other people with different Optima vehicle years complain about this - someone is going to get killed. I have had numerous near misses because of this problem. I also see many people saying Kia is telling them this is the way the vehicle is supposed to behave - really"?? my car is currently at the dealer to hopefully have the problem diagnosed and fixed. They gave me a loaner car, which is a 2013 Kia Optima, and guess what" pulling out of the dealership in the loaner I was almost rear ended because the loaner also has this problem, but 10 times worse than my car. It happened at least 30 times between the dealer and where I work - about a 30 minute drive. Always when speed needs to be increased by way of the gears needing to upshift. Please please please someone pay attention to this - I hope Kia isn't waiting for someone to get killed before they look into this failure that is happening that their dealerships are writing off as normal function! just as I was ready to submit this complaint, my dealership called me back and surprise: "we are unable to duplicate the problem" and "no problem codes were detected." Please Kia, take notice of this problem before someone gets killed!!!

- Oak Ridge, NJ, USA

Mar 252014

Optima

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate and would attempt to stall. The contact mentioned that the failure would accelerate independently. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who could not duplicate the problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Mar 122014

Optima 4-cyl

I complained to the dealer about the rough ride and harsh ride but was told not to worry. I then took it on the highway and the steering pulled to the left and I never felt confident about the steering only to say that it did not feel right and it was worrisome to me. It simply did not feel right to me. I've been driving 50 years and have never felt this uncomfortable driving/steering a car at highway speeds.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA